Author Topic: Vylo.org: free browser based voice chat  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Vylo.org: free browser based voice chat
« on: June 15, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
So I follow a podcast that features two people from Vylo.org.
They created a simple way to get together with people on voice using your browser.

Create a room. Share the url. And talk. That's it. No server IP, username, password, etc. Ten seconds and you're good to go.

It's great for a quick way to get together with strangers temporarily without handing out your Skype or messing around with a voice chat client for half an hour. Whether for games or for work.

Thanks to Bethor and Caradir for helping me test it and the audio quality, which was surprisingly good.

Give it a go. It's early days for them and they're still improving the product What would you improve?

- They need to add https:// to the "Share this url" url so it gets turned into a clickable link in the chat you're sharing it in.
- I'm missing an audio meter or test feature. I want to know if the app is picking up my mic. Or other people's mics for that matter.
- I'd like confirmation of which microphone it's using, as I have a shitty built in mic and a separate usb mic.
- They need to add push to talk. Apparently that would require an addon... so treat it like a conference call.
- Add a visual cue to see which user is speaking.

It is pretty awesome that you can turn other users down on YOUR end. So if someone elses mic is really loud, you can fix that yourself.
Also, it seems to be a very stable web app. No problems chatting half an hour with three people. Can't say that about Skype on my laptop.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:52:56 PM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Vylo.org: free browser based voice chat
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
If you signed up for a free account before today... you should have been upgraded to a Pro account for free!
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.