Author Topic: Withdrawal...  (Read 25272 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Withdrawal...
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
I would not consider them if I had to make up a top 10 of movies and doubt I saw every minute of every episode. I don't dislike them either, mind.
But if I had to come up with the names of 10 characters from the movies, I might struggle a bit.

That should paint a picture of how un-fanboi I am.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
So, this game...

Would it be fun for a not-fanboi (vs you fanbois every last one of you) like me? Bar the joy of enjoying your company ofc  :-*

Plenty of group content, and ways for our playstyles and characters to compliment each other and of course, you get to listen to me be incredibly incredibly bitter about anything I can think of, on comms :D  Also storywise it is stunning, even if you never saw the movies/played KOTOR (different timeframe focus), the game really drags you into the background with how each class story is laid out.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
So, this game...

Would it be fun for a not-fanboi (vs you fanbois every last one of you) like me? Bar the joy of enjoying your company ofc  :-*

if you like story and not just a zergfest then its enjoyable to all. Being a SW fanboi is just a bonus ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
A jedi pussycat?

The Blizz is strong with the guy who wrote him in...

heheh

he was a jedi scholar not really a fighty Jedi

cant remember if he was the same one that got stuck on Yavin IV

He is still a cat.  Yes cats are awesome, but come on seriously a Jedi cat... (And I havent gotten that far with the NJO series yet, I am so disappointed  :'( )

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
I wasn't into Warcraft (except for exclusively building rock lobbing trees at LAN parties in WCIII, that's awesome) and I liked WoW.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »
So, this game...

im not even a sci-fi lover i read alot of books all fantasy i have never read a sci-fi book but theres something about how well this game has been done that drags you in the story element is fantastic.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
So, this game...

im not even a sci-fi lover i read alot of books all fantasy i have never read a sci-fi book but theres something about how well this game has been done that drags you in the story element is fantastic.

same, more of a fantasy guy myself too. Good to hear feedback like this.
Will prolly give it a go then,  when wallet permits (so prolly January or later)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »
A jedi pussycat?

The Blizz is strong with the guy who wrote him in...

heheh

he was a jedi scholar not really a fighty Jedi

cant remember if he was the same one that got stuck on Yavin IV

He is still a cat.  Yes cats are awesome, but come on seriously a Jedi cat... (And I havent gotten that far with the NJO series yet, I am so disappointed  :'( )

its actually a bunny.

Im not a fanboi but can still read properly ;)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
What can I say, I am blinded by cuddly/cute animal hate.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
god the withdrawl is killing me now at times like these(new mmo releases) i wish i was still on the dole for 24/7 game playing.

suppose i could always give my boss a slap  :o

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
I would not consider them if I had to make up a top 10 of movies and doubt I saw every minute of every episode. I don't dislike them either, mind.
But if I had to come up with the names of 10 characters from the movies, I might struggle a bit.

it's not actually set in the same era as the Movies, so as far as having to be a Star Wars fanboi I'd say definitely not. Although I would recommend playing at Knights of the Old Republic. There were some missions which linked back to the past in the KOTOR era and the nostalgia was so cool. 1 mission in particular had me finding lost holocordings from an NPC you actually completed a mission for in KOTOR, and it was following the story on. Ended up pretty harrowing, it was awesome.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »

To break the fanboi-ism of the posters above. (you are in withdrawal, so there is no denying you are a fanboi! :) )

I only know the original 3 movies, i think i did see the other 3 also at some point, so not a real fanboi. But like i stated earlier. Didnt like the new SW mmo. Its like wow only leveling is slower because i need to look at some guy telling some story. And i played a bit last beta weekend.

Missions i got was go there, kill x of that. (with lasers making sharp turns to be able to hit targets)  or go kill monster/boss/whatever x there and  retrieve my Y.
It looks like a game made 2 years ago (so better than WoW, but granted not all settings could be turned up without hacking your ini file, didnt bother with that)

Controls are just point and click. and a bit button bashing. Not really challenging (but very like wow). Its waiting for your meter of whatever it is to fill up so you can use special power X again. Also relative space compared to target makes no difference in damage taken or to hit.

Also got the annoying level structure, if generic mob x is 4-5 levels higher than you, you aren't gonna kill it by yourself.

I didn't get past the start area so i didn't get to see the space combat, so cant comment on that

I wouldn't play this unless playing with some friends, and even than i'd think about it.

Also worth noting. i REALLY did want to like this game, been following it on tweakers for over a 2 years i think. I was also looking forward to it while starting up the game. But for me it felt like WoW with shiny sci-fi skinns. (also hated the land-speeder fulfilling the same role as the flying mount thingies you had in wow that would fly you from point a to b)

SO in short, i think my dislike for this game comes from how much it looks like wow, and my deep rooted hatred for WoW
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:24:05 AM by Bethor »
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »

To break the fanboi-ism of the posters above. (you are in withdrawal, so there is no denying you are a fanboi! :) )

I only know the original 3 movies, i think i did see the other 3 also at some point, so not a real fanboi. But like i stated earlier. Didnt like the new SW mmo. Its like wow only leveling is slower because i need to look at some guy telling some story. And i played a bit last beta weekend.

Missions i got was go there, kill x of that. (with lasers making sharp turns to be able to hit targets)  or go kill monster/boss/whatever x there and  retrieve my Y.
It looks like a game made 2 years ago (so better than WoW, but granted not all settings could be turned up without hacking your ini file, didnt bother with that)

Controls are just point and click. and a bit button bashing. Not really challenging (but very like wow). Its waiting for your meter of whatever it is to fill up so you can use special power X again. Also relative space compared to target makes no difference in damage taken or to hit.

Also got the annoying level structure, if generic mob x is 4-5 levels higher than you, you aren't gonna kill it by yourself.

I didn't get past the start area so i didn't get to see the space combat, so cant comment on that

I wouldn't play this unless playing with some friends, and even than i'd think about it.

Also worth noting. i REALLY did want to like this game, been following it on tweakers for over a 2 years i think. I was also looking forward to it while starting up the game. But for me it felt like WoW with shiny sci-fi skinns. (also hated the land-speeder fulfilling the same role as the flying mount thingies you had in wow that would fly you from point a to b)

SO in short, i think my dislike for this game comes from how much it looks like wow, and my deep rooted hatred for WoW

At the risk of being accused of being a fanboy, what exactly were you expecting?

This is an MMO after all, so how were you expecting this to differ from the most successful MMO of all time?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:31 AM »
You both make a good point, but both fail to mention that anyone willing to play such games has to be willing to drop their reservations at the door if it means they have a need to play what is a fun product with a good story to it (well, maybe not good in the case of whatever metzen inspired abortion blizzard uses for a plot) alongside some good e-buddies.

Yes, the genre has been flat and style for 5 years or more thanks to everyone not wanting to take risks inside the fantasyish section of MMOland, and we all know that this is because people saw what blizz did and just wanted a piece of that pie, not a cake or a muffin or a rice ball or anything different, just pie. However as blizz slowly kill off their product people are taking what they did and adding new twists to it - in this case, the whole voice driven thing - just as blizz did when they built their game while EQ was king (their twists were easier than that game, better more well known IP, instanced dungeons).  The end of wow is going to see an mmo diaspora, we wont ever see an MMO with wow's numbers (in the west at least) once its gone, just a huge plethora of MMOs all with their own adherents because of x or y reason.  And each of those MMO's will have a "hook" that keeps people there and slagging off all the others.  I just feel sorry for the farmville casuals, the real idiots of MMO world (the people who dont read up on anything, dont know how to play a class/fit a ship etc unless there is a video for it, generally are just bad), as they will just drift from product to product after wow dies, moaning until those games change to suit them, and never really finding a place to be happy and enjoy their gaming time.

I have hope in my projected mmo diaspora, and this game is an inkling of that, we can only wait and see what the future brings both in this and other products as they appear. And as said, as long as we have a good crack as a group for however long, thats the important thing right?

(PS space section is very very meh, space graphics themselves are also totally Tie Fighter 1990ish - then again EVE has spoiled me on that front and space graphics wise no other game will ever compare, EVE is simply that gorgeous now - almost Hubble image gorgeous)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:54:25 AM by Mangala »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »
i found my x-wing vs tie fighter discs :D
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)