Author Topic: The Secret World  (Read 36374 times)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 06:13:58 AM »
As this hasn't been posted here yet, here we go. Developer diary #1, a video on explaining a bit of the start of a new character in TSW, with in-game footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXccegjoRIM

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 03:30:30 PM »
EA seems to be getting in on this by jointly publishing it with Funcom:

Durham, USA – January 10, 2011 – Funcom, the award-winning game developer responsible for titles such as ‘Anarchy Online’ and ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’, and EA Partners, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS), today announced their agreement to co-publish Funcom’s highly anticipated modern-day massively multiplayer online game ‘The Secret World’. Hundreds of thousands of gamers have joined the ever-growing community surrounding the game, and have – even before launch – become active members in the game’s secret societies: the Illuminati, the Dragon and the Templar.

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Funcom, one of the world-leaders in the development of massively multiplayer online games,” says David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EA Partners. “We are very excited to be able to take part in the growing online gaming category with such a highly anticipated title as ‘The Secret World’.”

‘The Secret World’ is a next-generation massively multiplayer online game for the PC platform, where players are given total freedom to create and progress their characters, unbound by the restrictions of classes and levels. Players will get the opportunity to join one of the three secret societies and fight for power over important locations throughout our own world.  Players will also journey through familiar places across the globe, such as Egypt, New England, London, New York and Seoul and battle monsters of myth and legend.

“We are tremendously excited to be working with what is undoubtedly the world-leading games publisher for the past decade, and it is also a great testament to the fantastic work of our development team,” says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “The experience and the knowledge that Electronic Arts brings to the table will be instrumental in allowing us to realize the full potential of ‘The Secret World’.”

‘The Secret World’ is Funcom’s third massively multiplayer game, having previously developed the award-winning ‘Anarchy Online’ and the best selling new MMO of 2008 ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’. No release date has been announced.

For more information, visit the official website at www.darkdaysarecoming.com.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »
recent newsletter pointed to this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnJD7Dt1GY

looks very pretty, still need more info
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
looks like its coming along nicely still not sure im up for an mmo where you dont level i like the leveling process myself.

one to keep my eye on and i will no doubt give it a go.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
Funcom and EA Partners have announced that the modern-day MMO The Secret World will release for the PC in April, 2012. If that seems like too long to wait, don’t worry – starting August 26 gamers can register to join upcoming betas, through a unique interactive social media campaign that will be made available on via the game’s official website.

“It has never been more rewarding working on ‘The Secret World’ than it is now,” says Senior Producer and Creative Director Ragnar Tørnquist. “The progress we are making in development allows the whole team to really enjoy just playing the game for hours on end. We are all looking forward to bringing in players through upcoming betas, and their feedback will be crucial to the further development of the game as we progress toward the April, 2012 launch.”

For more info on the beta and the game, visit The Secret World‘s official website.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 09:25:28 AM »
fucking social media.

if it doesnt include google+ then fuck them.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »
Due to technical difficulties we have decided to postpone the first phase of the Secret War experience and the beta registration until further notice.

We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused those of you who had taken time to visit our website on August 26th to sign up for the beta and take part in the first phase of The Secret War. We will be working relentlessly to make sure the experience and the beta registration are up as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,
Funcom

P.S: The delay has also been picked up by the Council of Venice, who are already on the case!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »
Just thought i'd give this a bump. It's going to be released in June, and I can honestly say I am well impressed with what i've seen/read/heard about it. The skill/leveling concept, the IP, the general style..everything. It's a shame i can only really play this or SWTOR. At the mo I think i've seen enough of TSW to pull me away from SWTOR to give a go at least.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »
From another forum I use:

My impressions from spending time with TSW:

1. It's a much more complicated game system than Rift or SWTOR (I think than GW2 as well, but I haven't gotten to try that yet, so I can't compare directly). That means it may be more interesting in the long run, but it is more prone to flaws in the short run. For example, the UI has a number of components including an ingame web browser...all of these are moveable and resizable, but they can get cluttered and I've seen elements of it get stuck open in the past. Overall, I really like the interface....it's very clean and simple on a piece-by-piece level. But there are a lot of pieces, and that's important to keep in mind if you prefer something simpler like a more traditional Rift/SWTOR style game.

2. The graphics, at least using DX11, are quite smooth. Sure, the jumps are a little high, but they're no worse than watching a tauren jump in WoW (seriously, those hooves must have springs). The graphics and environments are definitely prettier than WoW, Rift, and SWTOR. However, the animations, especially lip syncing, are not up to SWTOR levels. (SWTOR cheats a bit here, since when you're in dialog you're actually not viewing the world and the rendering details roughly doubles....nonetheless, it's a very good cheat, and it makes you really feel like you're talking to someone...TSW doesn't do this, the detail level remains the same).

3. After SWTOR, there is something a bit disappointing about not being actively involved in conversations. TSW has a lot of voiced dialog, and it's generally much better written, better delivered, and more interesting than the average SWTOR dialog. However, in SWTOR you can respond two or three times per conversation. In TSW, you're a passive observer. This makes a big difference.

4. TSW is a much harder game than any other modern MMO (think vanilla WoW). If you don't plan out your initial ability build carefully, you might be stuck (like me) with no healing and no AOE....in which case it's really easy to die to the 3-zombie packs that you pull in Kingsmouth. There are no training wheels. This is actually pretty awesome. At the same time, it means that it's harder to casually play the game like you would GW2 or D3 or other upcoming pseudo-competition.

5. TSW is a much slower game than most modern MMOs (though SWTOR has its fair share of artificial slowness..."run way over there and deliver this! .... ok, now run way back over there and deliver the receipt!"...which TSW, thankfully, seems to avoid). But TSW involves planning ahead, saving up ability points, doing investigative missions of the sort that haven't really been seen before in MMOs (relatively little direct guidance as to what to do, but lots of interesting clues in dialog and environments), etc. It's slower paced, and if you want to power through it, you'll find it to be somewhat mediocre. If, instead, you treat it more like an old school RPG/adventure game, you'll really come to enjoy it. But it will take a few hours to get into it. (actually, that makes me think a bit of similar experiences getting into vanilla WoW back in the day...I think I spent a good 8-10 hours getting through the Barrens...but I'll admit that expectations have changed since 2004)

That's my two cents. By making a more difficult, slower paced game, Funcom is probably cutting its potential userbase down to about 10% of "average WoW players" or however you want to measure it. At the same time, a lot of us have been advocating for a game that's a bit more complicated and difficult and story based for years now. For us, this game will be an absolute gem. (Even acknowledging that it won't be perfect at launch...it's already more playable than AoC was at launch, and it doesn't have the strange post-Tortage let down that that game did. It is not, however, as playable as Rift was at launch.)

I amy eventually pick this up, but not in the first few months - and I'll certainly not read any reviews on it or anything in that time.

Just the thought of something cerebral in the none sandbox side of the MMO world makes me moist.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »
well all i can add is its definitely slower paced AT TIMES than traditional MMOs but when you get in to combat its fast paced.

Investigation missions are fantastic, im sure you saw me post in shoutbox about one in particular that had me referencing dutch painters, bible quotes and translating latin, failure to do so can result in false leads which are a fantastic addition.

Sometimes the missions involve following trails, that you need to take your time to look for carefully, can be annoying but inevitably rewarding.

Also at times it does feel like your banging you rhead against a wall, but all you have to realise is that by going away doing something else and maybe gaining another tier in your chosen weapon or unlocking that new ability to complement your hinder/burst/leech abilities could make  ahuge difference.

Juggling skills to suit your build is needed pretty quickly into the game, you get no real tutorials, no hand holding, and do die a lot.

You do get teh modern mission circles on minimaps at time, though not for tracking or investigations usually, even when there are circles youll find yourself having to hunt inside the highlighted area to find whatever you seek, it wont always be in teh centre.  mission interactables do glow red but only when you get quite close to them, so not from half the map away like some otehr MMOs.

all in all im finding it fun. It will be a niche title, it will scare away the gief it now crowd, and did i say im enjoying it ;)

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
OMG, you got in beta?

muthaf*cka!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
browser based online social game which you can earn "stuff" for real game

http://secretwar.thesecretworld.com/

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »
First beta weekend and lifting of NDA this week

All i can say is last huge patch improved everything with this