Author Topic: PLEXES  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
PLEXES
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
So, about Plexes. You can buy them with real money, and then sell them with ISK in game. Is that something that is legitmate business, ie CCP gives it a thumbs up? If so, is there any moral problems with buying Plexes and selling for ISK? It sort of smells a bit like gold-selling, doesn't it?

Then again, if it is perfectly ok business (ie CCP allows it, and there are no moral issues), then I might as well buy a couple Plexes and sell them to corp members in game for a discount? I don't feel like supporting gold-sellers, but some free ISK surely wouldn't hurt (I could fly Assault ships in PvP ;) ), especially if it would help corp mates :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:42:52 PM by Jarkko »

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: PLEXES
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:54:59 PM »
Aye - it's sanctioned by CCP.
There are a few technical in-game restrictions with them - you can only buy/sell them at a station, they can't be moved but can be contracted.
They tend to cost around the 325m mark currently - although the price fluctuates between 300-400m ISK.

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
So, about Plexes. You can buy them with real money, and then sell them with ISK in game. Is that something that is legitmate business, ie CCP gives it a thumbs up? If so, is there any moral problems with buying Plexes and selling for ISK? It sort of smells a bit like gold-selling, doesn't it?

Then again, if it is perfectly ok business (ie CCP allows it, and there are no moral issues), then I might as well buy a couple Plexes and sell them to corp members in game for a discount? I don't feel like supporting gold-sellers, but some free ISK surely wouldn't hurt (I could fly Assault ships in PvP ;) ), especially if it would help corp mates :)

In other words, you just got payed?? ;)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »
My understanding is that ccp wantd to make it easier for people to pay for their accounts. They recognised that people of all ages all over the world actually play the game and werent always in a position to pay for it monthly / yearly using real cash. hence plexes. Those that can pay for them can then make themselves some currency to use in game without resorting to gold sellers.
it helps towards solving two issues then. 1. helping those who can't / wont use r/l cash to fund their account.
                                                                              2. taking away the gold market by allowing people to get isk a legit way.
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
Heck, CCP even sells plexes (for RL cash - in batches of 2) via the accounts page.

Thats in addition to the playerbase being able to convert a 60 day GTC to 2 plexes and sell those ingame.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »
Heck, CCP even sells plexes (for RL cash - in batches of 2) via the accounts page.

Thats in addition to the playerbase being able to convert a 60 day GTC to 2 plexes and sell those ingame.
Aah, I noticed the ones on the accoutn page, didn't know GTC's can be converted to plexes too :)

@Peo, yeah I just got payed :P OTOH, looks like I will be payed in the future too, so... You know, I am really a gaming geek, I have over 2000 miniatures for several different gaming systems (WHFB, WH40k, DBM/DBA, Chronopia etc) and some 140 different tabletop games (from Robo Rally to Empires in Arms, from EuroFront to Carcassone). Investing a few euros in EVE isn't that special considering that background ;D