Author Topic: Free to play  (Read 30705 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Free to play
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »
My query 2 posts up, answered same place I found that image by someone in the f2p beta:

It is actually a lot better then that.

What I understand is that they are closing off Quest-series/NPCs for non-payers but not the actual areas. As that list sais, world access is entirely free. Also all the Book instances are free(Epic Story) which is a large chunk of very good content.

So as a FTP you run out of quests at around level 20, but no one will stop you from simply grinding on mobs untill you are level 50, and/or exploring all the lands. Note that the level cap is also 50 for each tier, and that it is not stated anywhere that you can not train your skills any further after a certain level. So basically they are just witholding further Quests from you, and certain perks. But levels, areas and abilities all seem to be available (at least untill level 50 after which you have to purchase Mines of Moria for more). Just as crafting and hobbies are all available.

If you do not care much for grinding Quests or PvP you are pretty much golden. The Auctionhouse sucks anyway(for which you are restricted as a ftp), and who knows we will see some "EC-tunnel" type trading develop again when FTP folk want to trade their stuff!

I think it is a pretty good package to be honest. I have played FTP games where you already run into serious blocks after like 3 hours of play(Wizard 101 for example, or Free Realms where pretty much 80% of the items require payment if you want to wear/use them).
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »
The way i read it was if you are a box owner That counts as you purchasing all the relevant adventure packs, so capped at 50 with everything we had available at release plus whatever was added before MoM. To get Moria and 60 cap , legendary items you need to buy Moria (if you already own it you get that when FTP) again if you purchased Mirkwood you get that and 65 cap when FTP. Basically if you play now, you wont lose anything you can currently do, The restrictions are for FTP people who start when that goes live.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »
Massively have done an article or two on the autumn releases:

http://www.massively.com/2010/07/09/the-road-to-mordor-touring-the-falls-new-content-with-turbine/

Good reading there.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »
Nothing surprising with the point shop screenies.

The thing exciting me the most is instance scaling, if done properly will be awesome.

Means that although i detest Helegrod, if im bored i can try and finally get more of the quests in there done.

3-man rift anyone :) hehe
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »
http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/759-developer-diary-instances-20-part-2-

Instance Scaling Part 2: Rewards & Quality

Hey everybody. This is Joe “jwbarry” and in this, the second in a series of Dev Diaries about our new Scaling Instance systems, I’m going to be talking about the structure of the rewards system, what you can get from playing Scaling Instances, stat tracking, and the quality bar.

Rewards

Adding scaling to instances presents some tricky reward problems. The way we commonly itemize instances is with a collection of items that are the level of the instance. These items will drop off of the boss or through barter systems. While no “new” instances are part of the Classic system, the full matrix of levels and instances would require us to make a prohibitive number of items. For example, the Great Barrow scales from level 20 to 65. That’s a tremendous range of levels for unique loot to design and create and a very painful amount of setup within the dungeon space to get the correct loot dropping. We struggled with this question, and once again looked to the Skirmish system for the answer.

The Skirmish reward system is based on three categories of tokens or currencies. Skirmish Marks are the totally liquid currency that roughly represents time spent playing Skirmishes. The level band tokens represent the level you’ve played at, and campaign tokens are the specific Skirmishes you have been in. Between these three currencies, we decide where to place rewards so players can work towards the rewards that are appropriate for their level. We decided this structure would work great for Classic instances. So, instead of implementing the same reward system twice, Classic instances will use the Skirmish reward system with some modifications and additions.

What does this all mean in plain English? Classic instances will use the Skirmish reward system. All normal item drops from monsters and bosses have been replaced by Skirmish marks. Any spaces, like Annúminas or Helegrod, that had barter systems in place have had their item drops and barter NPCs removed. However, have no fear – many of the unique items that could be acquired from all instances have been added to a new Skirmish camp vendor: the Classic vendor. New unique tokens are also awarded for Classic quests and Challenge mode. In addition, we’ve put Legendary Item jackpots on end bosses, and even small chances to drop Tomes that permanently increase your character’s base stats!

To sum up, Classic instances will give you everything they did before, except now they share a unified reward system. Instances that do not yet level-scale have had no change to their loot. They will still drop items just as they do now and they don’t drop any Skirmish Marks. Once a space is upgraded to level-scale, it will have its loot structure adjusted. With that background and overview done, we can tease some more details!

* “Trash” monsters will all have low chances of dropping various tokens. Since Classic instances have no Lieutenants, we wanted to have “sparkly” moments during play.
    * A new token (much like the old Fourth Mark) is being added for the Challenge modes. These tokens will allow access to 2nd Age components!
    * Level 65 versions of the Annúminas and Helegrod sets with updated art and Radiance! It is important to note that while you can barter for Radiance armour from these instances, they do not require Radiance to play them.
    * A new level 30 set for the Great Barrow.
    * Various new cosmetic rewards added for all instances.
    * Cosmetic versions of the Annúminas and Helegrod sets.
    * And more!

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 07:47:42 AM »
Sounds nice to me :)  Perhaps the skirmish vendor items will be competetive with crafted gear and quest rewards from now on, the only thing from skirmish vendos I've found useful (for my leveling toons, that is, dunno how good the skirmish stuff is at 65) have been some of the jewellery (with armour and weapons being definitively second rate to quest rewards and crafted items).

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »
Looking forward to Lotro going free to play if I'm honest. Free MMO's is good, imho.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »
anything that makes it worthwhile to do the awesome dungeons is good. The fact that they will scale as you level is frikkin sweet and if they are using the skirmish system will mean you should be able to do most solo, duo, trio, full group, and raid. With place slike the rift i imagine maybe missing out the 1,2,3, option. The ability to get radiance gear from the skirmish system is good, and the ability for bosses to drop 2nd age stuff and better gear is just cherry. I may learn to love LOTRO again.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Im looking forward to free to play too - should be a few more people giving it a go again :)

And the scalable stuff actually isnt making me rage, im liking how it sounds. (And having seen similar in DDO when i try that occasionally I know Turbine have a handle on  it).

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
anything that makes it worthwhile to do the awesome dungeons is good. The fact that they will scale as you level is frikkin sweet and if they are using the skirmish system will mean you should be able to do most solo, duo, trio, full group, and raid. With place slike the rift i imagine maybe missing out the 1,2,3, option. The ability to get radiance gear from the skirmish system is good, and the ability for bosses to drop 2nd age stuff and better gear is just cherry. I may learn to love LOTRO again.

Helegrod is being changed first.

Into 3 12mans and a 24man (4 sections), not scaled any other way from what I understand from the latest dev blog.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 09:25:43 AM »
helegrod sucks anyways

they could make me give it another go by not making me roll on quest drops, stupid idea that.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 09:34:49 AM »
http://www.lotro-europe.com/freetoplay/rewards/

Dayum!

Thats alot of points lifetimers *and founders* will end up with :)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »
1 charslot/server for free players makes me wonder what will happen with my other chars. Hope they dont delete em or something
(hipshot comment without bothering to read this thread or the site too thoroughly)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »
1 charslot/server for free players makes me wonder what will happen with my other chars. Hope they dont delete em or something
(hipshot comment without bothering to read this thread or the site too thoroughly)

:)

You get a choice at some point which you want to play, then the rest are locked.  Not sure how you open them up.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »

did you pay for any playtime or put in a box code? , if you did you are classed as a premium player.