Author Topic: OpenRVR to be 'buffed'  (Read 3220 times)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
OpenRVR to be 'buffed'
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:19:14 PM »

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
Re: OpenRVR to be 'buffed'
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
That F13 thread is gold, it's worth the read. Some of the comments are VERY funny, but also bang on the money.

one of the quotes in the thread:

"Seriously, this thread needs to be inscribed on plates of beaten gold, read through seer stones, and used as the basis of a religion that has magic underwear and opposes gay marriage.  Even reading the first post or two out loud should summon a horde of flying monkeys.  That's how fucking awesome this is."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:54:53 PM by vacuum »

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
I'm reading it too, it's great stuff - very interesting reading.

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »
Yep, excellent thread :)  Fact and fantasy, drama and humour! Excellent entertainment :)

Offline Nushka

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
Me too!

And I should be in the lab cooking up some awesomeness.....

(gets off arse)

Offline Peter

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
Contains good and cogent evaluations of the PvE content - at least as far as I have seen. PvP? I'll leave that to those of you who actually like doing the same scenarios for hours on end night after night - and those who hate it with a passion and feel forced to do so anyway. :P

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »
PvP? I'll leave that to those of you who actually like doing the same scenarios for hours on end night after night - and those who hate it with a passion and feel forced to do so anyway. :P

I think that's the point, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who relishes the idea of night after night of grinding Nordenwatch>MT>TA>SP. I myself sit inbetween the two camps you mention. I enjoy scenarios but when it becomes a grind it stops being fun.

I would suggest that the vast majority of WAR players, at the very least those in this guild, would relish viability of open RvR content for the goal of character progression, because it'd get us out of those damned scenario grinds and into areas where this game provides a (partially) unique experience - that being the experience of open massive warfare that many of us were after when we started playing in the first place.

After having read the thread from beginning to end, I'm actually very optimistic that they are going to do good things with this game. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes in the coming months.

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »
I would suggest that the vast majority of WAR players, at the very least those in this guild, would relish viability of open RvR content for the goal of character progression, because it'd get us out of those damned scenario grinds and into areas where this game provides a (partially) unique experience - that being the experience of open massive warfare that many of us were after when we started playing in the first place.

I'd kill every firstborn on earth if it got me this!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
PvP? I'll leave that to those of you who actually like doing the same scenarios for hours on end night after night - and those who hate it with a passion and feel forced to do so anyway. :P
That is the point IMO. After I took part in open RvR with this guild, the scenarios are dull dull dull. PvE, outside Gunbad and such, really isn't much to call home about (altough I still think there are a few quite excellent quests and stories there). As a matter of fact, when I log on with Praedor I check if there is any open PvP going on, and if not, then I can do a sceario or PvE quest.

Open PvP is like drug. A fun drug. Once you taste it in an organised guild event, you don't want anything else...

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 05:31:14 PM »
*gets his pen and paper out to save some of the F13 thread quotes for future reference ;D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 06:10:32 PM »
"TOR ANROC IS THE MMOG EQUIVALENT OF MONKEYS STIMULATING THEIR OGRASM CENTERS WITH A BUTTON."
 :o

Offline Peter

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »
I have to admit that I was giggling to myself madly when Mark's response to the comments about the complete and utter idiocy of all current itemization from PvE, PvP, random greens, blues, &etc boiled down to "My guys already itemized things to be good for the various classes, we'll have to see what if anything went wrong". :D    I mean, we aren't just talking about wierdly applied stats on a few set items but about item budgets in general (and even more so when including talisman slots) being completely nonsensical from a player perspective.  A clear example of not stealing enough from WoW, or, to be more precise, a clear example of not paying enough detail to the one thing everybody regardless of affiliation, race, and class will have as a common interest for improving their character.

I must say that the stories in that F13 thread about the T3-T4 jump and what they do for gear at T4 is really, truly, offputting.

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:00:53 AM »
Greetings!

With the addition of the new region-wide and RvR-wide chat channels we have seen a marked increase in Open RvR participation. In order to encourage this trend even further, we have made an additional adjustment to the experience awarded for killing enemy players in an Open RvR area. Previously we increased this amount by 50%. As of today, that bonus has been raised to 100%. With this change players killed in Open RvR will now be worth double the experience than those killed in scenarios!

As always, we will continue to monitor your feedback and work on ways to improve the RvR experience. More changes are coming, so be sure to stay tuned to the Warhammer Online Herald and monthly newsletter for the latest updates.

See you on the battlefield!

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=395

Yay? yay.
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 06:18:11 AM »
Thats bloody great news, seriously a boon to oRVR.

Lets see how it pans out tonight :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »
Is it enough though? Let's face it, even with a 100% buff you will still be seeing a hell of a lot less xp in an open RvR setting than a scenario, and if they are so concerned about getting people out of scenarios and into the world, then those xp rates need to be largely equivalent.

When it takes so damned long to level - and my god does WAR feel grindey - people will naturally take the path of least resistance, that is currently scenarios, and this will not change unless something more significant is implemented with regards to xp rewards. Even adding inf/gear rewards is not going to make a difference, it's just a nice bonus for when you do happen to be doing open rvr.

That all said I'll wait and see how it pans out. I'm not going to complain about it cause well, it's better than nothing right? When you can pull 100k xp / hour in Tor Anroc though, open rvr sure has it's work cut out to compete with that.

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"