Author Topic: Foundation movie  (Read 2643 times)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Foundation movie
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »
http://www.collider.com/2009/10/09/director-roland-emmerich-talks-adaptation-of-isaac-asimov-foundation-trilogy-as-well-as-his-next-movie-about-william-shakespeare/

Some information about the upcomming foundation movie.
Seems they are going to butcher the stories completely by condensing the timeline and using the same characters in all three parts.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Foundation movie
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »
i sense horridness
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »
What can you even do with it? The stories are an extended intellectual exercise, according to my distant memories as a 14 year old. Interesting in the way that the I,Robot stories are, but look what they had to do to that story to make a movie out of it.

Could work as a TV miniseries drama, but as a blockbuster movie?

The interviewer's question is exactly the kind of empty question you could expect from someone who, as he himself admitted, hasn't read the books.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
Some of the "I robot" books (i've read 2 or so) would make good films. The caverns of steel for example is a decent detective story. Not much violence though so.

The foundation series though makes for piss poor movies that is true.
IIRC the last in the series (victorious foundation i think) and the following books (foundation and earth at least but think there is one more) can make for decent films. The first 2 in the series on the other hand is more a collection of short stories. Would make as you say a much better TV mini series (one episode per story).
Now it will be "the mule" and the last great admiral of the empire together with the second foundation and gaia against the Hari seldon lead forces of the first foundation.
Idiocy.
I'll probably watch it, when it is on tv or so but no way in hell am I paying for it.