Author Topic: World of Darkness MMO Confirmed  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
World of Darkness MMO Confirmed
« on: August 16, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=101043

Quote:
World of Darkness MMOG Confirmed

[Aug 13, 2009, 09:34 am ET] - 32 Comments
CCP Games reveals their World of Darkness MMOG, confirming indications from earlier this year that such a project is in the works (thanks World of Darkness Online). In 2006 CCP merged with White Wolf, creators of the pen-and-paper World of Darkness RPG, paving the way for this move. The confirmation of the World of Darkness MMOG is a side-note in a post about CCP's contributions to the economy in the state of Georgia that says the following: "Its flagship property, the World of Darkness, has a rich history of over 18 years of creative development and is now the basis of one of CCP's major virtual world projects. Currently in preproduction, The World of Darkness is the undying heart of the development efforts in CCP's North American office." The earlier story about this project was based on a document that described it, though keep in mind this is from July, 2008, and may not reflect current plans (for instance it mentions a 2010 release date that is undoubtedly inaccurate). So here's a bit from that summer 2008 document:

"In the World of Darkness, you are the monster, struggling to remember the memory of your humanity while you struggle against the evil that lurks within us all. CCP and White Wolf are now hard at work in pre-production on the World of Darkness the persistent world. Given the World of Darkness legacy, its large fan base, and proven appeal to both genders, we estimate the subscriber potential of this product to be two to three times that of EVE Online, without competing head on with CCP’s existing products thus enabling wider total appeal."

CCp strike again :D

While I am not a vampire fan or anything, I'd play this if they structured its world on both the single cluster approach ala EVE and allowed us to skill in ways similar to EVE, this levelling BS is too much :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: World of Darkness MMO Confirmed
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
too many EMOgoth kids will play this for my liking, if they make it adult orientated then it could be awesome
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: World of Darkness MMO Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »
Woot!
There's many buts though....like I hope they won't exclusively base it on Vampires. With vampires you'll have it crawling with emogoths :)
Werewolves would work better still, but would make it very combat-oriented (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the great thing about WoD is the mix of action and roleplay imo)
I don't even dare hope for a mage-oriented RPG, though they already destroyed that setting for P&P and it would be very hard to have all these options for creating your own spells in a computergame anyway.
Changeling isn't real WoD anyway, so I guess (and hope) they'll leave them out altogether.
And then there's this whole plethora of options with vampire/werewolf hunters, modern templars, enhanced shady government-agents, self-styled superheroes....it could be so much fun!
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.