Author Topic: DDO goes free to play  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
DDO goes free to play
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
http://www.ddo.com/

Free to play - micropayments for random stuff and bank slots and such.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
Re: DDO goes free to play
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »
its a horrid game :S
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:08:17 PM »
http://www.ddo.com/

Free to play - micropayments for random stuff and bank slots and such.

* mentally blocks this post.........

repeats his well worn mantra..

I will NOT subscribe to another game.

A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »
its a horrid game :S

I was in Beta - it sucked then and by all accounts still sucks.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
i bought DDO but never installed it i read the back cover blurb and it sounded crap.

and i wont play in a game with microtransactions too much of a unfair playing field for me.

next mmo im paying for is SW-TOR if it pans out ok.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »
i was in beta and yup it is heresy to even tag it with the D&D label i gave it a try every time they offered me a free week or 2 and ive never subbed up.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 05:52:18 AM »
There was a re-review in a local gaming magazine about DDO a couple months ago. The reviewer seemed to be suprised about the current state of the game, mentioning it is possibly the most undervalued MMO at the markets now (and the reason being according to him because it was such a horrible game at launch).

Anyway, when it goes free-to-play, I will check it out with my kids. Heck, if it doesn't cost a thing, why not install it at every machine at home?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »
seems theres a court case a brewing ;)

Turbine are taking atari to court

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/08/26/Atari_Accused_of_Playing_a_Rough_Game.htm

proceed with termination in bad faith to benefit from its own competing product at Turbine's expense

NWN MMO perhaps? :D

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »
Interesting :)  Although I think it is just a dispute over the micro payment and how to share the income from that.

Anyway, seems the DDO is going free next month. I'll check it out then, even though there apparently is a free 14 days available already now.