Author Topic: He shoots he scores! Bloodbowl the game!  (Read 41098 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: He shoots he scores! Bloodbowl the game!
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »
Wont let me apply for that league :(

On another note - jesus this game is fun, im still figuring it and my humie team is inured beyond belief :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »
Wont let me apply for that league :(
Hmmm... Perhaps it is not possible to play in blitz mode then yet. I couldn't enter either, but I thought it is because I am the league comissioner (which wouldn't make that much sense actually).

On another note - jesus this game is fun
I used to say back in them olden days Blood Bowl is the most fun a man can have with pants on, and sometimes even better than anything you could do without pants.

It is still true :)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 10:36:10 AM »
Perhaps try sending an email to that email adress they provide? That Jessica person that seems the Cyanide liaison promises she'll answer most questions about the game she receives on there......
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »
Praedor just gave me football lessons.  :-[
0-2 to his humies, though one of his TDs was clearly a case of Cheating! A thrower with agi 4?! Rushing through a line of my best greenskins? Wots dat den?
Anyway, thanks for the advice and the fun game mate! And sorry about the half dozen injuries....  :-*
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 04:13:06 AM »
Nice match Gunnarr :)  Don't mind about the injuries, only one severe injury, a rookie blitzer got ST-1, so nothing too bad :)

I promised I'll write a few notes for you (and perhaps others who are interested) about how to use blitz as an efficient tool, and some set-ups too. Also, I think you need to practise your "cage" set-up a bit better, I'll write s a few notes of that too. Now I'll lauch PAINT and hone my aw3zum  ::) computer painting skills, back in a moment :)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:50 AM »
Well, what the heck, there are some nice guides on the net too :)  Check the different guides at http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/BBTactics.html  Btw, ignore the references to Fan Factor, FF was heavily "nerfed" for LRB5, so a starting FF of 3-4 is more than enough these days, and it usually means you'll get to buy an extra re-roll (then again, no point going over the top with rerolls, 3-4 is a good number IMO for a starting team, and more than 5 is certainly waste most of the time).

DEFENCE
Look at http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/Orc_CarlBrown_WD175.htm

Check Diagram 3. It's the "classic" 3-4-3-1 defense vs humans, high elves and orcs. Also, you should, IMO, put on LoS (Line of Scrimmage) two black-orcs and the troll (as you have them :) ), and as shown in the diagram put the other two black orcs to guard the wide-zones (together with blitzers), and then have blitzers (plus one lineman) and the thrower in the centre.
However, I think you Gunnarr had a very nice set-up for the defence, just that you didn't mark my catcher properly (probably bwecause you were not aware you can move after you block with a blitz) and didn't notice my thrower has AGI 4 (and he rolled doubles after the game, so he has dodge too now; ie he is even more slinky now). I thus think your defence was pretty good.

OFFENSE
Again, look at http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/Orc_CarlBrown_WD175.htm

Here you honestly did have some issues. In the above article, familiriase your self with "Da Stomp" and "Da Foola". Orcs have just two offensive plays in their playbooks, and you have to use them. Personally I favour "Da Foola", because goblins (with their Stunty) are very hard to stop. You *did* a pretty good job with crunching my players to the ground, but didn't capitalise on that, leaving the ball-carrier very alone to face my mean blitzers.

Ie, here comes the CAGE. The Cage, optimally if you ask me, require five players: four players placed on the corners next to the ball-carrier. The corners are important, because else a scrupulous bllitzer will run to that empty corner and knock your thrower senseless (one dice blocks are good vs throwers as they don't have block or dodge). Now, my awesome drawing skillzzzzz:

In the above diagram the cage (the ball-carrier is the red dot, the cage holders are the red circles) holds the corners around the ball-carrier. Nobody (except a wardancer, but there are no wood-elves at this stage of the test) can get to blitz your ball carrier without first having to make dodge roll with a hefty -3. Basically your ball-carrier is safe (except vs a deathroller, but there are no dwarfs at this phase of the test). If you however go with the cage as shown in the lower diagram, anybody can blitz your ball-carrier (as shown by the leet black arrows) from the corners; incidently this is exactly what did happen yesterday.

However, DO NOT go with the suggestion in the following article: http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/offence_str.htm
You won't get anywhere, as the opposing team will each turn dodge one square back. There are 13 squares from the LoS to goal, and your thrower runs 5. It means you want make it in 8 turns (first turn you pick up the ball, second turn you run to the LoS, so you basically have just 6 turns to push through). An 8 or 9 player strong cage may sound awesome, but there really is nothing a 9 player cage can do better than a 5 player cage. Go out there and try to outflank, blitz through to get deeper, etc, while your cage slowly lumbers forwards. Then, on turn 7 or 8, you either are in a position to dash through with your ball-carrier, or able to pass (or hand-off!) to a waiting blitzer or goblin.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 05:23:02 AM »
Now for the more difficult part to explain. How to use Blitz efficiently.

First of all, unlike in 2nd edition rules (where everybody could run and block, just couldn't sprint before blocking) there is only one blitz per turn. It is usually something spectacular, even if it first wouldn't appear so.

There are, in my opinion, very few "valid" uses for blitz. If it is not one of the following, then you prolly are using it just to hammer opponents (which can be good in many situations, but not usually).

1) To down opponent ball-carrier
2) To down a potential scorer (read: Catcher waiting for the pass)
3) To open up a path to the opponent ball carrier (so that other team members can put tackle-zones on the ball-carrier)
4) To open up a path to "flood" through in an offensive situation (wood elves, skaven and lizardmen will use this a lot (and others too when they are in a hurry or when they have skilled ball-handlers on the field): when there are four catchers waiting for the pass to run in the goal, who will the opponent stop?)
5) To get out of a tackle-zone instead of dodging (usually the ball-carrier is the blitzing toon then, but it can be a toon assisting the ball-carrier, altough it can be a big and strong low-agility player wanting to get next to the ball-carrier, etc), ie the classic blitzer (altough anybody else can do it too) move: Get the ball, blitz through, score a touchdown, celebrate.

Basically, IMO, if you use blitz to anything else, it probably isn't the most optimal case. Then again, especially if defending against a lumbering cage, it can be advisable to blitz down their "point" man, just to slow down the cage from rolling on.

Hard to give any good examples, this is something experience teaches I believe. One example (I guess) would be when I last night had the ball with a lineman, and he was surrounded by 3 orcs. I brought in another lineman (to remove opponent assists), then did run with a blitzer to a position from where he could assist, then blitzed him with the ball carrier and waved goodbye to the orcs. I'll try to make a diagram (alert: leet drawing skillzzz!)

In the above diagram the ball carrier (red dot) is surrounded by three opponent players (green dots). Not the best place to dodge out! Bring in two friendly players (marked with X), and blitz out (shown by the black arrows) without having to make a single dodge roll.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »
End of beta next Sunday. Last days to check the game properly now :)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
Available for digital purchase on June 18th (same day will the French boxed edition be released in France), and Starforce will not be the DRM :)

Happy days, I will be back from my trip to Germany-Denmark-Sweden on June 17th :)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »
Who else pre-ordered already? Game will be live on 26th :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
its not on game or play or amazon and theres no way im paying £40 for a digital version
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 06:52:38 PM »
Is there a demo or something?? So I can try it out?

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 10:32:32 PM »
Boxed version comes out in September, when it will be available from Steam etc too. Unless you are French or German of course, they get the boxed versions now, rest of the world have to do with the digital download.

50 euros is pretty much, but I believe I will be playing BB *lots*. Besides, it is BB, so who cares what it does cost :D

I don't know about demos, I guess there will be one, at least eventually.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
...and only being able to download it once, then having to save it to flash drive etc isnt digital distribution especially not at the price more than what i pay for any physical copy ive evr bought for my pc.

ill wait until it comes to steam or retail thank :)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
Im not getting this yet, but it is on my list to get before the end of the summer :)

I want a manual for it either way!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."