Author Topic: What would be your ideal MMO  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
What would be your ideal MMO
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
And I do not just mean IP, design me the framework of your ideal mmo, how much grouping, how much player created content, pve or pvp? etc etc
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
Re: What would be your ideal MMO
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
- No senseless level grinding.
- No set trinity classes, any player can be any class due to skills.
- Group content should include puzzles which require each member to contribute. Said puzzles could be like an internet scavenger hunt to really get you immersed into a 'consporacy'.
- Solo should include missions (also including puzzles), but all full on story missions which contribute to a giant (even endless) story arc...i.e no killing x wolves then returning back to that quest giver
- An equal focus on PVE and PVP relating directly to the factions. Possibly even 3 factions at war with pvp, not just the usual 2
- A sandbox crafting system (akin to that of minecraft)
- as for IP, a very dark, atmospheric and sinister modern, almost real life setting which also incorporates real life myths and legends, bringing them to life.

Yep, you guessed it, I just described The Secret World. And it is going to be awesome. For me a perfect MMO.

EDIT: Oops, missed a couple of things

- Fully customisable toons. None of this...I have to wear this gear piece and look like a bellend until i find a nicer looking one...  I want to create my character to look exactly how i like it, and gearing up should be done via an internal out of view system

- Varied quest types. Never mind killing stuff or picking stuff. I want to be able to go out and infiltrate an army base with the main focus on not been seen (rather than having to kill every mob in aggro range). And when ive done that, I migth fancy doing some investigative type mission

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:14:30 AM by Chug »

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
hmm, maybe Funcom should pay me for that. I'll have to send them a letter.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
Hmm nice question.. my requirements:
- Open world/Sandbox world
- Player owned (and customizable) properties (houses, shops, guard towers, villages )
- PvP/Permadeath
- Player driven market
- Customizable vehicles
- large player projects
- continuous new developments (so new areas to explore, new resources to find)
- exploration
- finite resources (if you cut a three someone else should not be able to cut that exact same three)
- Random quests
- no fixed classes
- skill gain not based on grinding (as in EVE and Haven & Hearth)

and i'll think up some more nice things later

edit:
almost forgot this one
- Player created guilds/alliances etc. (Not like in WoW and SWTOR you are either horde/empire or alliance/republic. but as in EVE)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:57:19 PM by Bethor »
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
Difficult question.

-sandbox is a given
-dynamic world (compared to for example eve's static) this ties into the sandbox
-pvp centric but still with pve (no eve missions are not pve...)
-Please no grind, I really don't want to kill another rat ("you will never kill another rat" is something i read about wow, the rats were pigs so technically true i suppose)
-social ofc, preferably empire building but realizing small groups are important so not meaning everyone has to be in one large group.
-expanding world

What i can think of at the moment, lots of stuff from eve i suppose

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »
'One server' like Eve.
An engaging storyline like the Trooper's Act 1.
Challenging content, like Corellia and Ilum mobs.
NOT outleveling your zones halfway through them.
Run smooth on less powerful systems.
Lots of homosexuality.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:18:27 PM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
no levels, no classes, no holy trinity, sandbox, with meaningful defeat mechanics (not quite permadeath) especially in PVP, player run economy, no npc stocked shops, and nekkid dancers.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)