Author Topic: Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:59 PM »
This is the story of my first YARRR action, it inspired me to write this piece of fiction. In reality I switched ships a few times. and the actual piracy was done in a pvp caracal. The same that was also used to pop the transport.

Many types of profession i have tried on eve. I've mined, killed rats in deep space. Explored and found places no one has ever seen before. But never had i ransomed someone. This is the story how that first ransom happened.

With little luck Bethor Invictus had been cruising the Black Rise region in Vulture his battered Buzzard. The paint had been scratched here and there due to impact of space debris often found in deep space. When suddenly one of his probes flashed to live. Something unknown found. Would this be it. The riches he craved. Quickly Bethor ordered his crew to deploy some more accurate probes in the region where the anomaly had been spotted. After several more and more fine tuned probes the location of the anomaly was revealed. Bethor ordered the cloaking device on Vulture to be raised and all crew to be ready for warp.

A short jump away an ancient jumpgate appeared into view of Vulture's main screen. Vulture was slowly approaching the device, that had been in space for longer than anyone could remember.  No one dared to make a sound. and everyone was at the read. Minutes passed and no one saw any sign of live around the gate. Scanning all frequencies nothing could be found. no sign of live. Bethor ordered the cloaking device to be lowered. As soon as the cloak was down he ordered communications to be opened to the ancient gate. Soon after connection was established the warpgate awoke. Ancient technology scanned the vicinity of the gate, Vulture was spotted by the gate's sensors. An eerie blueish light enveloped Vulture. Suddenly Vulture started to move, towards uncharted space. Slowly but surely Vulture's speed increased until it was racing towards the jumpgate. Passing over it Vulture's computers compensated for warp speed.

As sudden as it started the ship slowed down again and the blue light that enveloped Vulture was gone. Looking though the main screen it seemed the light of Astoh seem a bit weaker than seconds before. Vulture's scanners indicated this was the end of the solar system. A sudden thud could be heard from the port side of the ship. Several heads turned, someone gasped a the mutilated corpse of what once must have been another human drifted by.

Looking closer at the main screen revealed the wrecks of several pirates ships. Guristas fighters, fortunately these would be no longer offered a thread. Moving closer to the nearest wreck Vulture activated its tractor beam pulling the wreck closer. As soon as it was within 5 km of Vulture the distinct hum of the salvagers could be heard while the wreck was stripped of everything valuable left. Meanwhile the tractor beam locked a new target and starting to pull it closer.

Vulture's warp drives kicked in as soon as all the wreck were cleared. A new course hat been set. As stars whizzed by the radar showed Vulture was closing on one of the system's huge stargates. Upon entering the vicinity of the stargate Vulture transmited the new findings to the stargate customs. Vulture lowered its shield in the places where the custom's scanner passed. The sooner this is over the sooner i can return home and get some sleep Bethor thought. The gates mechanism hadn't found any contraband and allowed Vulture to pass.

Several stargates later Bethor arrived in Samanuni. Upon entering the system Vulture plotted a course to the 11th planet of the system. After second a space station appeared on the main screen. Vulture transmitted its identification and priority codes, as the station transmitted the stations current traffic and lowered its shields so Vulture could pass. Upon entering the protective field of the station's shields the main hangar door were opened and Vulture autopiloted to its hangar. Slowly but surely Vulture was swallowed by  the blackness of the main hangar.

After leaving his pod and getting decent, Bethor left to recreational area of his hangar. Sitting down at his private bar, surrounded by his crew he called one of the slaves to bring him a nice bottle of whiskey. As the night slowly passes Bethor review some reports. One report gives info about an anomaly, found in the rougher part of space, where Concorde no longer keeps travellers save. He picks up the report as he heads over to his bunk. The last word he reads before falling asleep is Elunala, the name of the system.

The first part of the next day is spend fruitlessly in several systems surrounding Samanuni. Sometime during noon Bethor remembered the name Elunala. Bethor decided to query the computer for all information know about Elunala. Seeing that Elunala is but a few jumpgates from his current location Bethor decides to set course. Upon entering the Ikoskio system the lights on the bridge dim. The crew readies for combat. Vulture's cloaking device is activated, and a course is set for the planet closes to the sun. A probe is dropped, but it stays dead.

Moving slowly and surly Vulture and its crew make way to Elunala. Upon entering Prism there is a short burst from the sirens. Looking at the solar map several lights are shown. Pod Pilots have lost their ships and been killed here recently. As soon as the gate is cleared, Vulture's cloaking device is activated. Not long after that a ship enters the vicinity of the stargate. Plasma burst can be seen and fuel is leaking into the vacuum of space. Looking closer Bethor recognises a Rifter class frigate. Not long after 2 other ships, a Raven and Megathron  enter the vicinity of the stargate. Slowly but surely the huge cannons anchored around the stargate come to live. The rifter is crawling slowely towards the gate. The big guns lock their targets and not long after the bight flashes of ion cannon discharge can bee seen cutting though space. And impacting the Raven. The Raven and Megathron in their turn ignore the big gate guns completely and focus all their firepower on the Rifter. The stargate beginst to activate. Suddenly a bight white flash. The Rifter is no more. Quickly followed by another flash. The pod saved the pilot of the Rifter from the Rifter's destruction. But the merciless pilots of the two battleships showed no mercy and killed the pilot while he was floating in his pod.

-- getting a little late now. Hope to continue the story tomorrow :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:15:04 AM by Bethor »
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »
Awesome read there Bethor, very very impressed by your tale of YARRR!

Looking forward to more adventures like this :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."