Author Topic: Jedi knight class  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Jedi knight class
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »
For thousands of years the Knights of the Jedi Order have been the guardians of peace and justice in The Old Republic. Through disciplined training and meditation, the Jedi Knights achieve perfect union of body and mind, allowing them to meet any situation with focused, fearless attention. Strengthened by the Force, they are able to turn this training into brilliant displays of lightsaber combat inspiring allies and disheartening those who would see the Republic fall.

Star Wars: The Old Republic | Classes

Possible they could be played as a "tank" type in addition to DPS and fancy magic tricks stuff?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi knight class
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »
Curse you for posting this and getting me all excited!

Offline Thuggy

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
Possible they could be played as a "tank" type in addition to DPS and fancy magic tricks stuff?

I'm guessing along the lines of WoWs DK class.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:09:04 PM by Thuggy »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
Given their lore, versatility will be a given (Wich I get DK's are to an extent too?), so I do kind of lean the jedi way if I can do what I enjoy doing with game characters, soak up damage :)

Offline Kathras

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »
Im nervous about the manner in which they will implement the Jedi class.  I assume that they are going to be comparably setup to all other classes or there would be no reason to choose the other classes.

I remember the initial jedi implementation in SWG.  The class was ridiculously overpowered ( as I would imagine Jedis would be ) but it was a pain in the fucking ass to get so there were actually few Jedis around.  And once you were a Jedi, everyone and their mother was hunting you down and you had to expect bounty hunters behind every tree.

I liked that.  Once they dumbed the class down and made it more accessible, the game started to unravel.  I am hoping Bioware has a better solution.
"Uncompromising men are easy to admire." - fictional character

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »
I wouldn't count on it Kathras.

I'm an old SWG vet also, and imho, any alpha class will ruin a game at the end of the day. They *have* to be a normal, same as any other class for the sakes of game balance. And theres clearly going to be a PvP element in this game from the way its looking.

Bear in minde also, its set in the Old Republic era, with tens of thousands of Jedi and Sith running around.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »
Bear in minde also, its set in the Old Republic era, with tens of thousands of Jedi and Sith running around.

Look at it in this way (i do) the force is energy and as we know class, energy cannot be created or destroyed only altered.

So as its a finite resource both the light and dark side are watered down. Which is the exact reason why Darth Bane started "the rule of two" as he knew to be more powerful there had to be less Sith,
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoilers content.

And the plans he started came to fruition with Palpatine.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Kathras

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:41 AM »
They *have* to be a normal, same as any other class for the sakes of game balance. And theres clearly going to be a PvP element in this game from the way its looking.

You're right, of course.
"Uncompromising men are easy to admire." - fictional character

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »
They *have* to be a normal, same as any other class for the sakes of game balance. And theres clearly going to be a PvP element in this game from the way its looking.

You're right, of course.

Dont encourage him!

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55:47 AM »

You're right, of course.

Dont encourage him!

Yeah, it'll just end badly ;D

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »
And once you were a Jedi, everyone and their mother was hunting you down and you had to expect bounty hunters behind every tree.

I'm envisioning little old ladies hurling black Force lightning from their arthritic fingers.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
Sentinel & Guardian confirmed in this article:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20100813

As part of our ongoing class updates, we are thrilled to confirm the Advanced Classes for the valiant Jedi Knight – Guardian and Sentinel! Whether you want to defend the weak and inspire your allies to amazing feats as a Guardian or learn the art of using two Lightsabers simultaneously to create an intricate web of damage as a Sentinel, the Advanced Class system in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will help you customize your character. Check out the Jedi Knight section on the HoloNet for more information! Check out the media section to see a new video of the Jedi Knight in action, and download some never-before-seen screenshots!

We’ve also updated the Biography section with someone indispensable to the Jedi Knight – Astromech T7-01! Visit the HoloNet to learn about this known associate from the Jedi Knight holorecord, or by accessing the T7-O1 biography.

Video link: http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/jedi-knight