Author Topic: HOI III  (Read 26978 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: HOI III
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
Btw, I found this very enlightening. So far I have manually coordinated every division. Saw there was an AI, but didnt know what it could do yet.
Might play around with it in my Germany game.

'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
I dont think its a turns game, we all play at once I think.

Also there's no side - except Germany I think - thats in a position to go all war all the time right from '36 onwards.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
I dont think its a turns game, we all play at once I think

I know, I meant gamespeed needing to go down, because someone needs to coordinate armies and stuff, which is quite difficult at full gamespeed.

Also there's no side - except Germany I think - thats in a position to go all war all the time right from '36 onwards.

Ok, 'from the start' was exaggerated. But there are quite a few that wont be able to get going before 41/42, while others can get cracking at 39/40.
And I dont have a dual monitor set up...

anyway, I was just mulling things over out loud, nm me, we'll see tonight.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
We arent playing at fullspeed are we anyways?  say 2 notches - like mid speed.

I want time to think :D

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »

i aint rushing anything about this game, its not a race to the finish :D

One of the reasons I like the style of it.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »

i aint rushing anything about this game, its not a race to the finish :D

One of the reasons I like the style of it.

After a bit of 'pause' at start to get everything set up, in early game 4 notches (full -1) gives you plenty of time to think. And IMHO bursts of full speed (5) should prolly happen at times when everyone is ok with organizing stuff.
When battle is on, 3 notches (which is half speed) usually suffices, 2 when things get hairy, 1 (lowest speed) when things get complicated, pause when things really got messed up. I play my smaller scale battles at 4 usually.
I guess starting 39/40ish speed will go to 3-4 max most of the time, but no way I'm playing 36-39 on 3 notches as a rule.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
Remember, these games can saved by the host and loaded up each week, so theres not a need to speed through the whole period in 1 night thats my main point with wondering on the speed.

And also, our actions MAY result in changes to the timeline, so we could see actual events happening sooner / not at all, so basing how things should run on reality should be avoided at all costs.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 12:25:44 PM »
Either way, im looking forward to this.  No turns = win, possibility to alter history = win.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:27:51 PM by Mangala »

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
Remember, these games can saved by the host and loaded up each week, so theres not a need to speed through the whole period in 1 night thats my main point with wondering on the speed.

And also, our actions MAY result in changes to the timeline, so we could see actual events happening sooner / not at all, so basing how things should run on reality should be avoided at all costs.

Dont worry, even if you go about the whole game on full speed you will spend more than one night on it. And I know you can save the game.
I'm just saying that in the prep (36-39ish), speed 4 and for some bursts speed 5 is fine. Not saying at all that we should go on speed 4-5 for the whole stretch. Just first few years. We won't alter timeline much in that era too.
Let's just see how it goes tonight, but I hope you have some consideration for ppl without a dual monitor setup...

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
might be a touch later, gf didnt come home till 7

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
might be a touch later, gf didnt come home till 7

kk matey.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
Some hiccups, but countries decided while we wait for a reinstall via beth.

Me: Brazil;
Beth: Nationalist China;
Saffy: Australia;

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »
First session went well after initial version and connection hiccups.

My Brazil is arming up, spying on its neighbours (mainly tech and destabilising governments) and getting its industry sorted out.  Also its a pretty self sufficient place so I am actually trading things to locals rather than trading them for items. 

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »
I myself am bugging New Zealand, increasing it's threat, while lowering my own neutrality (comes from 90%  :'(). Bugging NZ prolly wont do me much good, but hey, a man can try.

Meanwhile I am getting my economy up and running, teching into industry and resources, while having naval and infantry improvements in queue. Building factories, building some units - getting ready to grab some stuff from Japan (and/or NZ when all goes well). But with my neutrality it will prolly end with me having to guarantee someone's independence to get me an excuse to join the war before 1967.

Not sure whether to tech into capital ships too much, same for subs, armor and planes. Only got so little 'resources' (if i'd say 'leadership', I'd get mocked by Garry for sure) for my research. It would surely help if I had to take Japan head on, but I am really waiting for the US to get involved and then ninja some victories. Also depends on how the UK fares. In the SP I did, the UK has completely lost it's grip on the East Indies (see my screenshot in Steam - yellow is Japan, red is UK (if you dont see any red, you'll get my point)) and I'm currently in the process of saving their arses in that game.

Playing small country games (Canada, Persia, Aussies), has me wanting to play are major force too though (SP, don't worry). Being able to research more than 6 things at a time starts to get appealing.