Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 12021 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Mechwarrior Online
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/meet-mechwarrior-online-piranhas-free-to-play-tactical-mech-sim/

After two years’ of near-total silence about the fate of the Mechwarrior reboot, Piranha Games have announced Mechwarrior Online, a free-to-play, team-based multiplayer BattleMech sim. It’s also going to tell the story of the Battletech universe in real-time, starting from just before the Clan Invasion of 3050. Each day, players will do battle on behalf of the universe’s major factions, and each day in the game will represent a single day’s action in the fictional Inner Sphere. It will go live in the second half of 2012.

Mechwarrior Online (MWO) might be free-to-play, but MWO Creative Director Bryan Ekman and Piranha President Russ Bullock insist this is going to be a proper Mechwarrior game in the tradition of Mechwarrior 2 through 4, not a successor to the Xbox action game Mech Assault. Ekman says joystick support is a strong probability, and both call this a Mech sim.

“I think it’s really the Mechwarrior you know,” Bullock says. “It’s fully first-person. It’s not a new interpretation. We’re modernizing things a little bit, I think we’ll get to those questions, but certainly it’s Mechwarrior.”

Another major part of the game is customization and organizing into mercenary units, Ekman explains.

“Players will be able to band together in the format of a lance, which is four, and they’ll be able to band together as a mercenary corporation for hire. That’s not unlike a guild. We have a whole editor and mercenary HQ for players to explore that allows them to customize the look and feel of their corporation, their membership, the structure of how they enter battle, the lances, their names, ranks, and all kinds of things.”

However, in some very real ways, this is not the Mechwarrior you remember. And it’s a good thing, too, because Ekman and Piranha games have some very exciting ideas for how to make Mechwarrior more of a tactical sim and less of a shooter.

“One of our core pillars is what we call ‘information warfare,’” Ekman explains. “Which basically boils down to controlling the flow of information on the battlefield. Whether it be your own information, or the information of your enemies. We want to make gameplay be less about an arms race, where you start in a light Mech but you really want to get into an assault Mech, because it’s the best thing there is.”

The matches themselves will support multiple teams and multiple four-person squads (“lances” in Mechwarrior parlance). The primary focus will be Conquest mode, which will allow for more tactics and teamwork, but there will also be a variety of deathmatch modes available.

Ekman also promises that while players will be able to buy items with real money, nobody can buy anything that will confer a tactical advantage. “Anything that would affect or give your a tactical advantage, you can’t purchase with real cash. You have to earn that by playing the game,” he says.

Mechwarrior online features multiple upgrade paths, both for Mechs and pilots, but it should not be too complicated. As Bullock says, “If someone has played a combination of Mechwarrior, Call of Duty, and Diablo in their gaming life, they’re going to have seen everything that we’re offering for the most part.”

Mechwarrior online, in keeping with the original games, will feature a variety of maps set across different environments and climates. In a universe where heat plays such a major role, with Mechs overheating from weapons fire and local temperature, that means different weather will make for very different tactics.

But big difference from previous games will be urban combat. “One of the things we can do these days that previous games weren’t able to do well is urban combat,” Ekman says. “And it’s a cornerstone of MWO, this ability to actually fight in detailed urban settings.”

You can find out more info from the official website: mwomercs.com. You should also stick around PC Gamer today for exclusive interviews with Ekman and Bullock, as they explain what happened these past two years, and go into detail about what Mechwarrior Online will be.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
Re: Mechwarrior Online
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »
decided fuck it after it said "free to play"

dickwads
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
Was going to do a Garry-impersonation just for the fun of it, but then saw I didnt need to anymore.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
After having read it all, it does sound promising! Will defo try it out!

[snip]lahblah have you ever tried global warfare blahblah try it out once and you'll never want to play it again blahblah, have you played global warfare blahblah pay to win blahblah global warfare blahbl[snip]

(oops, I did it anyway)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
After having read it all, it does sound promising! Will defo try it out!

[snip]lahblah have you ever tried global warfare blahblah try it out once and you'll never want to play it again blahblah, have you played global warfare blahblah pay to win blahblah global warfare blahbl[snip]

(oops, I did it anyway)

well ihaving done a lot of research, i conclude that FTP = pile of shit. Its a sad fact.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »
on second thoughts i take it back

FTP sucks ass (never understood what the fuck that means), you might as well bend me over and give me a fisting up my arse id get more enjoyment.

Any ftp game on steam (tried em all) are all shit bar none.

FPS FTP games are all renatgun pay to win ugly ginger stepchildren. (the ones ive played)

LOTRO got shit when it went FTP sad fact.

Sony's version of FTP (manic laugh) well if youve tried any of their "free" games youll know what i mean.

So to second my conclusion ive lost all hope for ANY PC game that has FTP attached to it.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:02:33 AM »
Well its free so you can always try it without losing any money :)
Will try it since I like mechwarrior if its shit, well then its shit no harm done.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »
sucks ass (never understood what the fuck that means)

Anilingus (from anus + lingus (Latin Lingere: to lick), also spelled analingus[1][2], also referred to or described as anal–oral contact or anal–oral sex, is a form of oral sex involving contact between the anus or perineum of one person and the mouth (lips) or tongue of another. Slang terms frequently used are rimming or rim-job. It can be performed by people of all sexual orientations and, depending upon the context in which it is performed, it may be used for personal pleasure or as a form of erotic humiliation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anilingus

Hope that helps.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:46 AM »
on second thoughts i take it back

FTP sucks ass (never understood what the fuck that means), you might as well bend me over and give me a fisting up my arse id get more enjoyment.

Any ftp game on steam (tried em all) are all shit bar none.

FPS FTP games are all renatgun pay to win ugly ginger stepchildren. (the ones ive played)

LOTRO got shit when it went FTP sad fact.

Sony's version of FTP (manic laugh) well if youve tried any of their "free" games youll know what i mean.

So to second my conclusion ive lost all hope for ANY PC game that has FTP attached to it.

I have to agree. FTP games go free to play solely because the developers know it isnt good enough to make them money through a sub or an expensive initial price. And if the developers feel that way, what hope does it have?

But...and this is a negative but...they still feel the need to rip off the faithful 'cult' following. You know, those that actually feel enough of the game to actually keep playing it. Shall we reward these players who have stuck through it all? no...we shall take out all the good stuff and bascially make the F2P aspect of the game a giant advertisement vessel for microtransactions and hope it ruins the original game enough for them to give us all their money. All they need is an ingame browser covered in....oooh shiney shiney. This way, they extort EVEN MORE than a regular monthly sub from people for a shite game. Well played, fuckos.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 10:34:15 AM »
Every change goes with bitching I guess.
Back when, you would buy a game and could play it forever. Then came online games with limited server support that developers would have to run and maintain for years (Diablo 2, earlier Mechwarrior editions, Novalogic (Delta Force) to name a few). As internetaccess became more widespread, these games would depend more and more on player run dedicated servers, till a point that even that did not suffice. Not to mention higher server loads through games getting more complicated etc.
Then... came subscription. WoW is the most obvious example. My guess is that the playerbase back then was bitching about having to pay 40 euros for a game and then another 10 EUR each month just to be able to play the game.

Now, 10 years or so later, F2P is the new deal. Companies still have to make money. More games are around, competition is rougher (see the introduction of WAR and the claims they made that they would push WoW out of the market). F2P was the answer for developers who couldnt compete with WoW (and new developers on the market) and needed an incentive to lure players away from established games (e.g. WoW, EvE). The F2P concept then proved to be a decent/successful way to get income (which is pretty important for commercial companies who need to make money to pay costs and profit to invest in new projects).
I think one of the big problems is that it has the word 'free' in the name, which has players believe that they can play the game for free. Well they can, but they will have some less benefits from the paying custumers. But paying customers make the world go round.

And yes, the balance in some games is off.
And yes, not every game is as good as the next.

Live with it.
Or just steer clear of games with FTP/F2P in it.

But stop clogging up every thread on F2P games with endless and repetetive moaning and bitching, for heavens sake.  ::)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »
Every change goes with bitching I guess.
Back when, you would buy a game and could play it forever. Then came online games with limited server support that developers would have to run and maintain for years (Diablo 2, earlier Mechwarrior editions, Novalogic (Delta Force) to name a few). As internetaccess became more widespread, these games would depend more and more on player run dedicated servers, till a point that even that did not suffice. Not to mention higher server loads through games getting more complicated etc.
Then... came subscription. WoW is the most obvious example. My guess is that the playerbase back then was bitching about having to pay 40 euros for a game and then another 10 EUR each month just to be able to play the game.

Now, 10 years or so later, F2P is the new deal. Companies still have to make money. More games are around, competition is rougher (see the introduction of WAR and the claims they made that they would push WoW out of the market). F2P was the answer for developers who couldnt compete with WoW (and new developers on the market) and needed an incentive to lure players away from established games (e.g. WoW, EvE). The F2P concept then proved to be a decent/successful way to get income (which is pretty important for commercial companies who need to make money to pay costs and profit to invest in new projects).
I think one of the big problems is that it has the word 'free' in the name, which has players believe that they can play the game for free. Well they can, but they will have some less benefits from the paying custumers. But paying customers make the world go round.

And yes, the balance in some games is off.
And yes, not every game is as good as the next.

Live with it.
Or just steer clear of games with FTP/F2P in it.

But stop clogging up every thread on F2P games with endless and repetetive moaning and bitching, for heavens sake.  ::)

miaow ;)

always feel like i touch a nerve with my OPINIONS on FTP shovelware, trust me i always try these games and have never been disappointed yet in my estimations.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
always feel like i touch a nerve with my OPINIONS on FTP shovelware

Nah, it's just the derailing of threads that is the consequence of your OPINIONS that ticks me off.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 11:26:17 AM »
Oh and my own rant was more a response to this than anything else

But...and this is a negative but...they still feel the need to rip off the faithful 'cult' following. You know, those that actually feel enough of the game to actually keep playing it. Shall we reward these players who have stuck through it all? no...we shall take out all the good stuff and bascially make the F2P aspect of the game a giant advertisement vessel for microtransactions and hope it ruins the original game enough for them to give us all their money. All they need is an ingame browser covered in....oooh shiney shiney. This way, they extort EVEN MORE than a regular monthly sub from people for a shite game. Well played, fuckos.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »

Nah, it's just the derailing of threads that is the consequence of your OPINIONS that ticks me off.

fair enough

though i dont consider discussing a games pricing plan as "derailment" ;)

IMHO

loves you

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »

fair enough

though i dont consider discussing a games pricing plan as "derailment" ;)

IMHO

loves you

love you more  :-*