Author Topic: Champions Online goes F2P  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Champions Online goes F2P
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »
http://champions-online.com/node/595093

Extracted:
Subscriptions

First of all, you can (and should!) still subscribe to Champions Online. If you continue to subscribe (and become a "Gold Member"), then what you get doesn't change from what you get today. You still get all the zones, all the levels, all existing and future adventure packs, and all the costume parts available today (plus a bunch of new ones). You still have complete control over what powers your hero has (as well as their color), just like today. The only difference you'll see is that there will be more things in the C-Store to buy, if you are so inclined.

Current lifetime subscribers automatically become Gold Members for life and get all the same benefits.

Non-subscribers ("Silver Players") don't get all of that. Most importantly, they don't get complete control over what powers their heroes get. Instead, they can only create heroes by choosing an Archetype. Though the power progression is predefined, the player can tailor the powers with their choice of Advantages. Silver Players are also limited in other ways such as inventory, bank and marketplace space. Of course, Silver Players retain full control over how their character looks using the costume editor. They also get access to all the zones and levels.

If you decide to switch from Gold to Silver, your characters will still be there. However, you won't be able to play them until either you re-subscribe or you convert them into Silver characters. Exactly how this will work is still being determined.

Still I probably wont play it, wasnt exactly what i hoped it could be. Was so similar to CoH which didnt grab me either tbh.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Champions Online goes F2P
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
as weve spoken about before i see this as the future of MMOs tbh, Turbines has shown the F2P model works and it was only a matter of time until others started following suit, Sony have done so and now so have cryptic. Start Trek will soon follow and i forsee the D&D MMo Neverwinter Online launching a sF2P.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)