Author Topic: Tribes beta  (Read 9126 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes beta
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
So yeah, now that I have unlocked the engineer class I must say again that I really like this game. Deployable turrets, repairing base turrets, generator and radar and defending the flag is a nice mix of possibilities for this class. CTF (and prolly AD, but havent unlocked this yet - will come at lvl 8, and im lvl 5 now) is really the way to go with this game, as that is where the different classes shine in their roles.
It really has the look and feel of the old Tribes games: it is fast paced, has vehicles that offer extra tactical options while not being über and offers good possibilities for team play.

You start out with the 3 basic roles (light, medium, heavy) and can unlock more specified roles for about 7k XP (as comparison, for me as a mediochre player, I get around 1000 XP per game in general). Weapon upgrades are doable too, xp cost wise. Unlocking new weapons is very expensive (70-100k), but I still think they offer not that much of an advantage over new kids on the block.

What I don't like is that my videocard crashes after every 1-2 games. So will buy a new card for this (and other games that didnt run that well on my current 2nd hand card). I'm thinking a 6850 for €120,-. Matches my budget...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:00:21 PM by Warcold »
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
meh, new gfx wont arrive untill wednesday I'm afraid...  :(
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »
:(

"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16:19 AM »
ok Saffy i admit i was too hasty

its fun not great though but fun

still dont like the pay model but cant have evrything i guess.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
ok Saffy i admit i was too hasty
its fun not great though but fun

still dont like the pay model but cant have evrything i guess.

Printed this to put it above my bed in a frame  ;)

But yeah, it's not great. It's not quite innovative compared to the other Tribes games, just has some upgraded graphics and gameplay that mimics the old games. The old games were ahead of their time, but that was what... 10-15 years ago - even before UT etc were there.
And yeah, it's great fun to play.  ;D

And yeah, F2P has downsides, but largely so because playing a game for free has become 'normal' within the community with illegal downloads and all... If everyone would be used to paying 20-40 (50?) euros for every game they play, the whole F2P system would be seen in a totally different perspective. But I've said too much already, let's not let this game's topic be derailed by another F2P discussion - again.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:16 PM »
WHOOHOO, my 6850 came in today already and ran fine for multiple games on end (where my old card fainted every 15 minutes or so).
When I took out my old card I noticed that a heatsink had dropped off (did I tell you I secured another heatsink with a tiewrap because it kept falling off) - so yeah, it was time for a new card, not one that had one dodgy fan and heatsinks dropping off left and right.

Pleased with my new and shiney gfx!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
Good vid of skiing/flag grabbing. Look at this guy getting 200+ kph speeds.

Tribes Ascend: Basic Capper's Guide

And another vid of him hitting 300 kph, and doing an orbital strike while in descend to the enemy flag  :)

Tribes Ascend: Low to High Fast Grab Drydock (DS)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:20:10 PM by Warcold »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
managed to get a max of 208 on my soldier and thats in medium armour
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »
nice!
dunno what the max is that I got on my tech. the last game I saw 150, but didnt really pay attn all the time.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
nice!
dunno what the max is that I got on my tech. the last game I saw 150, but didnt really pay attn all the time.

you have an accomplishment called "need for speed" or something like that that will tell you your max that you have hit.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »
213, but that would prolly have been on my pathfinder...

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 06:00:55 PM »
I have installed this for possible Thursday night entertainment. I should be able to make 7:3ish PM GMT this week.
Anyone care to play some of this on the 10th?
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
I have installed this for possible Thursday night entertainment. I should be able to make 7:3ish PM GMT this week.
Anyone care to play some of this on the 10th?

unless i get a better offer or am dead, sure :)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
I think it's nice for mindless shooting action. And I like the micropayment model, even though the payments in Tribes aren't very micro.

My dude is called Testicular. And I like blasting people with the soldier second weapon.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.