Author Topic: DC Universe Online  (Read 38884 times)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Online
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »
I did the tour around Watchtower today. I spent the whole time going, "It's him! And her! And him! You're kidding me, him? Ahahahaha! Woo!"

It's been at least ten years since I regularly read superhero comics. I can't believe I still had that in me.

Once it hit busy times the game became largely unplayable again, but I did get a few good hours in today. Hit level 10, did that Hive instance, apparently became a Controller and ogled Kryptonian and House of El battle suits. I tried switching over to Gotham since I had a quest in the East End, but couldn't see any of my quest objectives.

I had 3/2 characters for a while. I think that only happened because I created a toon on one server while the other was down and couldn't verify how many I had. Back to a limit of 2 now.

I rather doubt they'll have new server capacity up and running by the weekend, but maybe next week. The game isn't flawless, but if it remains as fun as it is now I'll happily hero my way to level 30. I'd like to try the six different mentors too, since I get the impression you start in a different place for at least some of them.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Online Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
I did the tour around Watchtower today. I spent the whole time going, "It's him! And her! And him! You're kidding me, him? Ahahahaha! Woo!"

It's been at least ten years since I regularly read superhero comics. I can't believe I still had that in me.

Once it hit busy times the game became largely unplayable again, but I did get a few good hours in today. Hit level 10, did that Hive instance, apparently became a Controller and ogled Kryptonian and House of El battle suits. I tried switching over to Gotham since I had a quest in the East End, but couldn't see any of my quest objectives.

I had 3/2 characters for a while. I think that only happened because I created a toon on one server while the other was down and couldn't verify how many I had. Back to a limit of 2 now.

I rather doubt they'll have new server capacity up and running by the weekend, but maybe next week. The game isn't flawless, but if it remains as fun as it is now I'll happily hero my way to level 30. I'd like to try the six different mentors too, since I get the impression you start in a different place for at least some of them.

place you start is same either Metro or Gotham

first few quests do vary. (ill try recall iirc)

Wonder Woman - Raven, Circe line, Giganta
Batman - Scarecrow, Bane ,Harley Quinn  then poison Ivy (most recent so i recall these correctly)
Superman - mostly Brainiac
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:21:55 PM by Caradir »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
So, queues yes.

Hanging on load screens, not since the patch this morning.

Lag, comes and goes.

Wierd phasing issues, on and off.

Seems to be actually stabilising at the moment.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »
let me know when it fixes and ill be there! how much is the game to buy?

laters elv

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2011, 10:37:52 PM »
let me know when it fixes and ill be there! how much is the game to buy?

laters elv

Nothing mate, it's free to play.

Just download the client from the website and create an account.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »
DC Universe Online has had a lot to say about its recent free-to-play transition, with the game boasting a one million player increase since the change took place. But that's in the past already; what's en route in the near future? Well, today Sony Online Entertainment is announcing the latest round of DLC for the freshly F2P superhero game.

The new DLC is entitled Lightning Strikes, and it focuses on everyone's favorite speedster, Flash. The update will bring a variety of new content for veteran and fledgling players alike. So what can players look forward to when Lightning Strikes? We sat down with some of the game's developers to find out, so follow on past the cut and have a gander.

One of the key features being introduced with the new DLC is the new Electricity power set. Electricity-focused heroes will fill a hybrid role as they rain deadily lightning attacks upon their enemies and rejuvenate their allies with refreshing electric shocks. The healing mechanic available to characters who choose the power set is being termed Rescue Healing. Players can place an electrical charge on an ally, and when the target drops below a certain health threshold, the heal will kick in and shock the player back to good health. This fire-and-forget style of healing strikes a balance between the current healing power sets, allowing Electricity-powered players to fill a whole new niche. It's important to note that due to the number of issues that took place during the introduction of the Hard Light power set during the last DLC release, players will not be receiving a respec token with which to switch to the new power set. If you want to try Electricity out, you'll have to roll a new character from the ground up.

The Electricity power set will be split into two separate progression trees: Voltage and Amperage. Both trees will feature the power set's hybrid DPS-plus-healing, but one will be focused more on burst-type abilities while the other plays host to more preventative healing powers.

The new power set isn't all that's coming, however. After all, what would a Flash-themed DLC update be without a nice vacation to Central City? It would be unreasonable to expect the devs to build a new city from scratch with every content update, so the team is introducing a new type of instanced map using technology similar to that used by the game's megaservers. Each instance of Central City is an 8x4 block area of the city that can hold up to 50 players. Each time an instance reaches the 50-player cap, a new one will be opened, so players can come and go as they please.

Central City will feature new solo and group content as well as bounties and storylines, all of which take place outside of and around Central City's Flash museum. The main storyline players will be faced with is a Duo mission that focuses on Flash and his origin story. See, some idiots (namely, the Pied Piper and Abra Kadabra) have used Flash's Cosmic Treadmill to go back in time to the fateful night that Barry Allen received his powers in hopes of preventing the event from ever taking place. The heroes of DCUO can't let this happen because, duh, it's the freaking Flash, so it's up to them to go back in time (Flash can't do it himself because it would cause some kind of paradox) and ensure that Allen receives the his freak-accident powers as usual.

But what about the villains? Why should they care if the Flash gets his powers or not? That's just one fewer member of the Justice League to worry about, right? Wrong! If Barry Allen never becomes Flash, then Eobard Thawne -- better known as Flash's super-speedy counterpart Professor Zoom -- never gets his superpowers either, and that just doesn't sit right with him for some reason. In light of that, he tasks the villains with going back in time and making sure that Pied Piper and Abra Kadabra fail in their mission, thus ensuring that Professor Zoom's powers remain intact.

And of course, the New 52 is on every DC Comics fan's mind right now. Will DCUO be incorporating any aspects of the New 52 into the game? Chances are slim to none, at this point. While the devs are at liberty to explore the New 52, they also have their own stories that they want to tell, and of course it's a risky move to reboot an entire game universe from the ground up. As such, players probably shouldn't expect much relating to the New 52 anytime soon.

The Lightning Strikes DLC pack will be available for purchase sometime this year, and there's not a whole lot of year left, so players shouldn't have to wait long to get their Flash fix. Lightning Strikes will run players a cool $10, though Legendary-status subscribers will, of course, receive the new content free-of-charge. Stay tuned to Massively for more information on the update and its release date!

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
I'm still suffering a lot of lag when I try to play this game, but that could easily be due to Virgin Media's many problems lately.

Which is a bit of a shame considering how I just can't get into WoW at the moment.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
Anyone know any good info sites for DCU? The game is starting to give me either/or stat gear and I have less than half an idea what to go for, with my psion controller hero and sorcerer healer villain.

I'm still quite enjoying this game, though I agree it hasn't quite got something. I plan to keep at it around Star Wars, but I'm very much still a clueless noob.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2011, 10:45:58 PM »
http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/  is the only real one I visit every so often.   Otherwise its digging through threads on the main site and other places with dcuo players around.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
I don't suppose anyone knows what happens if you start as a blaster and then put points into dual-wield? Does the game cleverly switch for melee attacks or is it one or the other?

All the other weapon rypes have unlocked for me, but I have no idea if you can be two things at once.

Online Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »
I don't suppose anyone knows what happens if you start as a blaster and then put points into dual-wield? Does the game cleverly switch for melee attacks or is it one or the other?

All the other weapon rypes have unlocked for me, but I have no idea if you can be two things at once.
you keep the passive you spend points on, but can only use the attacks of the currently equipped weapon.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2011, 11:47:38 PM »
I see. I'll take a look at it with that in mind. Got 4 skill points I've been saving until I figure this out.

Realistically, those 4 points aren't the reason end-boss Bruno Mannheim flattened me seven or eight times in a row in the Intergang instance. But it sure was hard to remember that as I kept dying. ::)

Online Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »
I see. I'll take a look at it with that in mind. Got 4 skill points I've been saving until I figure this out.

Realistically, those 4 points aren't the reason end-boss Bruno Mannheim flattened me seven or eight times in a row in the Intergang instance. But it sure was hard to remember that as I kept dying. ::)

yeah from listening to others speak, farming those points just for the passive boosts is the name of the game.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2011, 11:43:04 PM »
I find running with 10m strides and climbing walls like spiderman refreshing and strangely satisfying.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »
Which movement mode is that? Super-speed or acrobatics? Every time I create a character I look at the three options and can't avoid choosing flight. ;D

I was in an instance the other day and got briefly turned into an Atlantean. Lost my flight powers but got super-speed. It, er, made me kind of dizzy.