Author Topic: Me and MMOs  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Me and MMOs
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
It has been 3 weeks since i last even logged into any MMO and it feels good.

For those unaware for the past 12 years ive suffered from mental health problems (depression/anxiety with the possibility of it being a bipolar disorder), however in the past few months ive felt like myself again.

As i get "better" i find that i actually detest ALL MMOs as to me they were a crutch i used to while away the hours and take my mind off things. So im giving them up, you may see me occasionally in LOTRo but not much, i may still try SWTOR but im thinking not.

All they mean to me is an immeasurable timesink, which, if im honest, results in hours of tedium doing the same shit over and over again. That is not fun and i think will eventually be the collapse of MMOs as a genre they are timesinks pretending to be content. They stop you seeing life and being as big a part in it as you could possibly be, now im not saying a few hours here and there is bad but who plays them that way, they arent designed around that concept.

Ill be lurking the boards inputing when its not needed ;)

Ill still be enjoying my single player action, and occasional MP forays, but MMOs have become a bad taste.

I wish you addicts luck with your online pixelated conquests, and ill say hi if i see you on my occasional visits to other worlds.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Me and MMOs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
Have fun in the real world :)   I suppose I am one of those who play MMO's only for a few hours per week (although there are frenzy times when I spend way too much time in them...), and it *is* healthy that way I think :)  

Anyway, I suppose this means there are nobody left in HoJ in LOTRO who could invite in characters. Even if I had a toon who could invite (which I don't :p), I wouldn't be able to invite my alts  :D

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:51:01 PM »
as im not back in the job market yet, easing my way back with voluntary work, if you see me on here good chance a pm will be enough to get me logged on for an invite if thats what your after.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:59:57 PM »
as im not back in the job market yet, easing my way back with voluntary work, if you see me on here good chance a pm will be enough to get me logged on for an invite if thats what your after.

I'll do that next weekend :)  The servers are now down for the update, and I'll be leaving soon (in a few moments) for a few days vacation (a few days tour to visit friends and relatives; they are always so happy to recieve six hungry and noisy barbarians, which is why we dont stayaround for more than at most one night at anybodys place :) ).

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
I actually agree with you here mate. Still its been good kicking around with you in the various MMO's we've frequented together.

I'm in the place where I'm enjoying WoW again, but on an uber casual basis. Honest! ;)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »
will miss you mate has been fun playing games with you im also of the same mind about mmo's but will continue playing WOW i think as my only vice.

but im not going to buy another mmo they always turn into a dissapointment in the end.

SWTOR still looks a bit meh to me so not getting it plus the kiddies will run riot in that game

TSW(the secret world) was looking forward to this but as more details are released i've gone off it.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:14:35 PM »
OHNNOSE!!!!!1!!!1! Reality has claimed another victim!!  :'(

I'm not going to say you're right
Im not going to say you're right
I'm nt going to say u're right
I'm not ging to
Im not gg sey u rite
Im nt
Im not!

Good luck during decompression matey! Wishing you all the best is a bit weird with you still lurking around here on the forum, but still...
Enjoy seeing your front door from the outside again, gl with re-entering job market, enjoy having children in a year or two, etc. etc.

All the best  :)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 03:21:35 AM »
Figured this was coming old man, even though we havent gamed together for an awfully long time.

Has been an absolute pleasure playing numerous games in various worlds with you.  *sniffs* I'll miss the humour you'd inject into most situations.

Dont go being a stranger now, we still have single (with MP options) games we can get together in on the rare occasions we can when I get back.
* Mangala wonders who is going to sort the bills for the kinhouse now (May have to get my idiot brother to log in and pay the bills until I get back).

But I know what you mean about MMO's, they arent designed to be played totally casual, unless you are amazingly strong willed or have billions of other interests in real life that take time away from them. Hell look at me when I played WoW way back in the early HoJ years, Id often spend 18hrs a day online.  Did similar in lotro after it actually released, but by then I think id broken the back of any mental dependancy I felt on mmo's, even eve hasnt seen me play as much in that game, unless I was running a loooong mining op or similar way back.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:38:14 AM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 03:40:16 AM »
WoW casual

Never the twain shall meet.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »
WoW casual

Never the twain shall meet.

You'd be suprised. Wife + Kids + Various other extra curricular activities = No choice! :D

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:35:53 AM »

* Mangala wonders who is going to sort the bills for the kinhouse now (May have to get my idiot brother to log in and pay the bills until I get back).

Id imagine Relnor will deal with that, although as hes been away hes unaware of me not playing anymore yet, so im not sure what he will decide to do.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »

Good luck during decompression matey! Wishing you all the best is a bit weird with you still lurking around here on the forum, but still...
Enjoy seeing your front door from the outside again, gl with re-entering job market, enjoy having children in a year or two, etc. etc.

All the best  :)

There really is a world out there that i had forgotten about :D

Its all good matey .

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 02:25:05 PM »
I can do that, if somebody just tells me how it is done. I've never paid any housing bills in LOTRO, so don't have the faintest clue  :P

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »
I can do that, if somebody just tells me how it is done. I've never paid any housing bills in LOTRO, so don't have the faintest clue  :P

its done in the housing tab on your character sheet

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 03:23:13 PM »
Ok, only one deposit was open (I suppose Garry or somebody had paid for the others), and I paid for that one. The kinship house is now safe until April 20th :)