Author Topic: [DEVBLOG] Shiptroduction: Tornado  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
[DEVBLOG] Shiptroduction: Tornado
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »
reported by CCP Guard | 2011.10.21 14:35:47 | NEW | Comments

As we have hinted at, the Tornado is warping into the 2011 winter expansion...and it‘s bringing friends.

We couldn‘t just give the Minmatar a new ship and leave the other factions out (NPC military escalation doesn’t work like that), so, in the spririt of mutually assured destruction, each of the factions have sent their best engineers and scientists to the drafting boards and will also be rolling out a new tier 3 battlecruiser.

„But isn‘t the Tornado a battleship?“

According to the original concept it was, yes. But when reviewing the armadas of existing ships we came to the conclusion that it would make much more sense to add another tier of battlecruisers instead of a fourth battleship tier, and that the accessibility of bc skills would mean more of these ships might be in the hands of younger, brasher pilots. That means more pew pew pew overall.

What sets these new battlecruisers apart from their lower tier cousins?

The most unique thing about them is that they will be able to fit battleship-sized weapons. Yes, you heard correctly... battlecruisers with oversized guns.

They will be capable of similar damage output as a battleship but obviously all that damage comes at a price.They won‘t be able to tank like a battleship, but what they lack in the tanking department the right pilot should be able to somewhat make up for with speed and distance management. Those looking to start minmaxing fleets of TÖTALHELLDEATH will have to wait a bit for the stats.

The concept is; violent, fast and fun.

In the following weeks we will be introducing the Tornado‘s three counterparts. Stay tuned!

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3001
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: [DEVBLOG] Shiptroduction: Tornado
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
F
U
K
K
E
N

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
like the sound of BCs wielding big guns
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
like the sound of BCs wielding big guns

Ive gone thru a whole box of kleenex...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »
Possible stats of all the Tier 3 BC's v the current standard BC's (tier 2 basically).

Code: [Select]
Drake    Naga

slots: 8/6/4    8/6/4
       t/l: 0/7      8/8 (!)
       cpu: 525      470
        pg: 850      895
       cap: 2813     2900
  t. range: 60km     75km
  scan res: 195mm    220mm
sensor str: 19       21
     speed: 140m/s   195m/s
   hull hp: 3906     2111
  armor hp: 3906     1841
 shield hp: 5469     2597
  drone bw: 25       0
 drone bay: 25m3     0
sig radius: 285m     190m
      mass: 14010000 12500000
   agility: 0.628    0.58
align time: 12.2s    10s

Harbinger  Oracle

slots: 8/4/6    8/3/6
       t/l: 7/0      8/0
       cpu: 375      370
        pg: 1500     1375
       cap: 3125     3500
  t. range: 50km     65km
  scan res: 210mm    240mm
sensor str: 16       18
     speed: 150m/s   200m/s
   hull hp: 4688     2381
  armor hp: 5469     2597
 shield hp: 3516     1841
  drone bw: 50       0
 drone bay: 50       0
sig radius: 265m     180m
      mass: 13500000 12300000
   agility: 0.704    0.57
align time: 13.2s    9.7s

Myrmidon  Talos

slots: 6/5/6    8/4/5
       t/l: 6/0      8/0
       cpu: 400      400
        pg: 1175     1150
       cap: 2813     3100
  t. range: 55km     70km
  scan res: 200mm    230mm
sensor str: 18       20
     speed: 145m/s   210m/s
   hull hp: 4297     2597
  armor hp: 4688     2272
 shield hp: 3906     2111
  drone bw: 75       25
 drone bay: 150      25
sig radius: 300m     200m
      mass: 13250000 12000000
   agility: 0.704    0.56
align time: 12.9s    9.3s

Hurricane  Tornado

slots: 8/4/6    8/5/4
       t/l: 6/3      8/0
       cpu: 400      380
        pg: 1350     1000
       cap: 2813     2700
  t. range: 45km     60km
  scan res: 220mm    250mm
sensor str: 16       17
     speed: 165m/s   225m/s
   hull hp: 3516     2165
  armor hp: 4688     2272
 shield hp: 4297     2165
  drone bw: 30       0
 drone bay: 30       0
sig radius: 240m     170
      mass: 12500000 12000000
   agility: 0.704    0.56
align time: 12.2s    9.3s

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
ok , so am i reading right they have a lot less hp than the T1 versions? drake vs Hydra 5469 shields vs 2597 :S
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »
ok , so am i reading right they have a lot less hp than the T1 versions? drake vs Hydra 5469 shields vs 2597 :S

Glasscannons baby.

Hilariously awesome ones that get to fit BS weaps :D

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »
not glasscannon more like frig fodder :D

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »

Noticed that too, but then saw that they have some stuff that'll make em better. For one they have a way smaller sig radius, which helps somewhat. Second, they'll have better resists I guess.
Also... they are T3, so customizable (insert questionmarks here)... Those stats would be of basic hull and get additional bonuses (and penalties, e.g sig radius iirc) from the whatchamacallits... (I am so out of EvE and never into T3 anyway) (insert questionmarks here). No clue about the source of the info Jon posted so hard to say.

What raised my eyebrows were the PG and the CPU. Hard to fit even one large gun on it, let alone 8. Would need serious bonuses (see above) to fit those.
I will just have to see what the final stats will be, as how it looks like now, I have strong doubt dps will even surpass those of current tier 2 BC ones (with grid and CPU as it says it will be).
Other 'solution' would be massive bonuses on large guns/launchers grid/cpu requirements ofc (as per stealthbombers torp bonuses).
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
ahhhh T3 for some reason i thought they were T2 variants

so disregard me more than usual

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »
Tier 3 not tech3.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:44:47 AM »
How will they be able to fit large weapons... They seem to lack the grid for it.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 07:18:55 AM »
How will they be able to fit large weapons... They seem to lack the grid for it.

Fitting bonuses like stealthbombers get.

These arent totally confirmed but have been scraped from the sisi cache:

Oracle

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 7.5% bonus to Large Energy Turret tracking speed and 7.5% bonus to Large Energy Turret optimal range per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Energy Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Energy Turrets 50% reduction in the capacitor need of Large Energy Turrets

Naga

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 10% bonus to Torpedo Velocity, 5% bonus to Torpedo explosion velocity, 10% bonus to Large Hybrid Turret optimal range and 7.5% bonus to Large Hybrid Turret tracking speed per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the capacitor need of Large Energy Turrets 40% reduction in the powergrid need of Siege Missile Launchers 58% reduction in the CPU need of Siege Missile Launchers

Talos

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 5% bonus to Large Hybrid Turret damage and 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the capacitor need of Large Energy Turrets

Tornado

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 5% bonus to Large Projectile Turret Rate of Fire and 10% bonus to Large Projectile Turret falloff per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Projectile Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Projectile Turrets
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:12:18 AM by Mangala »

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
Tier 3 not tech3.

ahhh, misunderstood that then
already wondered about the design if these were just basic T3 hulls, but didnt think that through...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »

Fitting bonuses like stealthbombers get.

These arent totally confirmed but have been scraped from the sisi cache:

Oracle

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 7.5% bonus to Large Energy Turret tracking speed and 7.5% bonus to Large Energy Turret optimal range per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Energy Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Energy Turrets 50% reduction in the capacitor need of Large Energy Turrets

Naga

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 10% bonus to Torpedo Velocity, 5% bonus to Torpedo explosion velocity, 10% bonus to Large Hybrid Turret optimal range and 7.5% bonus to Large Hybrid Turret tracking speed per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the capacitor need of Large Energy Turrets 40% reduction in the powergrid need of Siege Missile Launchers 58% reduction in the CPU need of Siege Missile Launchers

Talos

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 5% bonus to Large Hybrid Turret damage and 10% bonus to the velocity factor of stasis webifiers per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Hybrid Turrets 50% reduction in the capacitor need of Large Energy Turrets

Tornado

Battlecruiser Skill Bonus: 5% bonus to Large Projectile Turret Rate of Fire and 10% bonus to Large Projectile Turret falloff per level.

95% reduction in the powergrid need of Large Projectile Turrets 50% reduction in the CPU need of Large Projectile Turrets

Hmm, wonder about fitting then.
If I'm looking at T2 guns for the Tornado, it'll be very hard to fit Artillery on it, even the 1200s for a lack of PG. Autocannons seem the way to go for both PG and falloff bonus. But looking at em as the glass cannons they are, you might want to have some range if you want some survivability vs smaller ships. Vs bigger ships, one could rely on speedtank I guess.
If the AF redo gets any good, they might be a very viable counter vs. these ships due to their low hp. It might be an interesting shift of balance on the battlefield: BSs (the mainstay of many larger fleets) seeming to be the prey of these tier 3 BCs, and smaller ships (AF et al., HACs???? and maybe even tier 2 BCs) prolly being the counter vs. the tier 3 BCs in turn.

But anyway, if I'd still be subbed on EvE, I'd begin stocking short range large guns like a mofo.