Author Topic: [DUST DEVBLOG] Beginnings (LOL PS3 ONLY)  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
[DUST DEVBLOG] Beginnings (LOL PS3 ONLY)
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:33:53 AM »
Phew!

It’s been a long road from the game’s initial announcement at Gamescom in 2009 to the live prototype at Fanfest to today’s unveiling at E3. But we thank you all for the patience and enthusiasm you’ve shown for the project to date and hope that you’ll enjoy what we’ll be revealing today and in the coming months. As frustrating as the lack of information about the game might have been for some of you, I can guarantee that no-one wanted to tell you about DUST 514 more than the team that has been hard at work bringing the game to life these last few years. We began as a small team focused on pre-production but in the past year have grown into a small army.

My name is Atli Mar, but you can call me CCP Praetorian. I am the Creative Director of DUST 514. This is the first dev blog of many to come, and I’ll start things off by giving you a high level overview of the game, and some of the philosophy that guides us in the development of DUST 514.

SO... WHAT IS THIS DUST 514 THING ANYWAYS?

Imagine this:

You turn on your PS3, and launch DUST 514. You choose the character you created before, and log onto our servers. You are standing in your Mercenary Quarters. This is your private space and where you spend downtime between battles. From here you can access chat channels, the marketplace, fitting, the starmap, leaderboards, and much more. An icon is flashing. You have new mail in your inbox; a call to arms.

One of your corporation’s planetary assets is under attack. The battle starts in less than 20 minutes and the corporation chat channel is abuzz with discussions of the best fits and strategy to deploy. Losing will be devastating; the surface infrastructure constitutes a fairly significant percentage of the corporation’s bottom-line. A capsuleer mentions that your corp’s fleet has not been mobilized and that the enemy has already moved in and have begun capturing the OCC (Orbital Command Center). It doesn’t look good.

You are running low on blueprints for your preferred fit, advanced variant infantry assault armor, loaded with damage modifiers, a vehicle drop link and a Prototype Light Assault Rifle. Usually your corporation stocks basic stuff in the shared hangars, but this stuff isn’t basic. You worked hard getting there, training the right skills and acquiring all the right blueprints. You decide to replenish your fit from the marketplace. Just one more thing and you’ll be ready: your vehicle. You own blueprints of a standard Caldari HAV (it´s rubbish, but it’s yours) and your pride and joy, an Ishukone Black Ops variant Dropship fitted as a cloaked tackler with a faction Cloak module, two small missile launchers and a shield tank.

This fit has served you well in the past, but you wonder if this time it’ll be good enough. The battle is about to start.

Your heart is in your stomach. You take a deep breath and deploy into battle.

DUST 514 isn't simply another FPS or MMO -- it's a hybrid of these two game types: a Persistent Shooter. It takes elements from both genres to create a cohesive experience that is more than just the sum of its parts. This is a different play experience from what most console players have come to expect. For DUST 514 to work, the MMO and FPS aspects must be seamlessly merged to the point that both feed and fuel one other. It’s all about persistence. Your victories, your failures and your decisions stay with you always. For better or worse, every minute spent in our world counts. Every action you take matters.

DUST 514 shares its setting with, and is connected in real-time with our PC MMO, EVE Online. The setting is one single, open galaxy with thousands of solar systems, where players continually struggle against each other for territorial control and access to the most valuable resources. Those battles rage in space and soon, in DUST 514, on the planets themselves. EVE Online capsuleers and DUST mercenaries form alliances of thousands of players and take collective action on a scale unknown in any other game.They strive for greater power, greater control over the galaxy, and greater immersion in the EVE universe.They take the setting we provide and truly make it their own; this persistence of world events is what awaits you, the DUST mercenaries,as well.

SANDBOX

With DUST 514 we intend to provide an open setting and give players the tools to define and be part of the experience. We do this instead of spoon-feeding the player, as is the case with "theme park" games where everything is a directed experience and an individual’s impact and influence on the world is minimal. Producing directed content is not scalable and so many MMOs fail because of their inability to keep things fresh.

For many FPS players, it’s enough to play the same maps in the same way. Like a sports event, the rules and where the game is played remain the same; the only difference each time being the result. But that’s something many FPS games already do very well. What we're bringing is not only providing fun FPS matches, we're empowering players to define and influence their world. We're giving them the tools to alter the play experience in their favor; increasing versatility, re-playability, and reinforcing the concept that actions in DUST 514 have consequences.

SOCIALIZATION

We want to foster more meaningful interaction among DUST 514 players (beyond lobby smack!) and one of the basic ways that DUST 514 players will self-organize is through corporations, the core social unit in DUST.

Your corp is also something that you can collectively build upon as your membership grows. In regular FPS clan terms, it's like your clan being able to not just have the bragging rights of leaderboard rankings, but you're also gaining wealth, prestige, and influence upon the actual game setting through your successes. Or losing these advantages through your failures. As with an FPS clan, a good corp will be something you can be proud of but it's also something you create and control the fate of. Corps will offer you the ability to collectively prepare for battle, unwind after combat, and discuss what you all want to do next.

This degree of socialization becomes even more significant when you factor in how vital corps are to both EVE Online and DUST 514. That’s because EVE and DUST share the same player-run corporations. That is to say, EVE Online players can join DUST 514 corps. Likewise, DUST 514 players can join EVE Online corporations.These social institutions are crucial to the long-term prospects of DUST 514.

ECONOMY

Our business model for DUST 514 differs from single retail purchase and optional premium DLC of other games on the market. Instead, DUST is designed to utilize virtual goods sales. I will leave details of the economy system to our resident economist, Eino Joas, who will go over all of this with you in a devblog soon-ish, but here is how this works on a high level:

DUST 514 will, as EVE Online does, have a dynamic virtual economy and market that offers the tools that will give you a competitive edge, when used skillfully. Players are able to purchase different gear to equip before deploying into battle, using InterStellar Kredits (ISK), the in-game earned currency of the EVE universe, or through real money currency, called Aurum (AUR). This provides players with flexibility and adaptability in how they approach a combat scenario. Certain items are only available through ISK transactions, while others are only available through AUR. These are then traded freely on a player-driven secondary marketplace.

Of course, your rivals will aim to do the same, fueling a perpetual arms race between merc outfits, with an expanding range of options available in lockstep with your character's progression. Each side of a given conflict will create character armor and vehicle loadouts with a mix of raw killing power, physical augmentations, and sophisticated electronics. Those choices will factor into your strategy for defeating your opposition.

DUST 514 will be continually developed and improved upon over time and there will always be new features and aspects to DUST just around the corner. Oh, and all expansion packs will always be free.

Atli “Praetorian” Mar

2011.06.06CCP SHADOW

http://www.dust514.com/en/news/article/1980/beginnings
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: [DUST DEVBLOG] Beginnings (LOL PS3 ONLY)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »
Wont be playing this ever it seems then.  Probably would have done if it had hit xbawks360, but since it isnt (Halo remake and Halo 4,5,6 are though)...

Unless they cave and make a PC version (shooters work best on PC).

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
E3 trailer is nice though...
but seems to suggest more than I think they will ever do (planet <-> space battle influence (planet shooting ships anyway))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:37:13 PM by Warcold »
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:54 AM »
This is going to be hilarious. Most eve players are hardcore combat strategists, and now they have to rely on children on consoles to fight their ground battles.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
I guess they picked the ps3 due to it being a "better" console atm. Both are rather dated compared to computers in terms of hardware.

But i suspect that after the initial fad has worn off it will be nigh on impossible to find any merc outfits.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »
I guess they picked the ps3 due to it being a "better" console atm. Both are rather dated compared to computers in terms of hardware.

But i suspect that after the initial fad has worn off it will be nigh on impossible to find any merc outfits.

Both are a bit meh, however I surprised they went with Sony due to the 25 hacks of their various account/player systems in the past 3 months....  Still its not a shooter on a PC so its fail regardless :D

Anyways:

Quote from: Hilmar
Intrepid Pioneers of the EVE Universe,

I just recently finished my walk-on at the Sony Press Conference just before E3 Expo, where I had the privilege to announce that DUST 514 will be launching exclusively on PlayStation 3 in Summer 2012.

The hyper-observant amongst you probably figured it out months ago. Others might have been following along at http://www.dust514.com and counting down with us. Others still might have found news through EVE or a Facebook link not long ago. Undoubtedly though many of you missed it live though thanks to time zones, so we’ll be putting up a recording of it on our YouTube channel as soon as possible.

During the short presentation we showed the “Pale Red Dot” video, which will be hosted at the DUST514 page.

If you have ever been to EVE Fanfest or watched the presentations, then you realize that I could have gone on to no end on stage. It was not the venue for that so it’s good to have a chance here to go a bit deeper.

CCP would like to thank you for bringing us to this point.

We would more importantly like to thank you for bringing the EVE universe to this point.

A long time ago, when EVE was just launching, you immediately began inspiring us to take the concept of EVE much further than we originally thought made sense. We have seen amazing emergent game play birthed from core features and lend power to giant leaps forward--like Incarna and now DUST. It’s amazing to see what subtle musings of “Wouldn’t it be cool if there were armies on these planets beneath us?”---or---“I would love to add a dropship or two to my hangar… “ can turn into.

Atli Már Sveinsson (now Creative Director for DUST 514) and pilots of a similar, combative mindset have been gently nudging us since EVE’s alpha. In fact, he co-founded one of the first EVE player alliance and credits that for the premise for DUST 514. He was not alone in his bloodlust--at Fanfest we gathered countless ideas from EVE fans, an effort that continues to this day.

The inspiration grew further as the history of EVE stacked upon itself and the friendships and conflicts both great and small continued to thrive and grow bolder. In the beginning, the EVE universe was a vast empty space full of possibility and not long into it all, as migrations happened and wars swallowed regions whole over and over again, each system harbored countless real, visceral memories. Soon shooting people in the face seemed like a good and natural complement to shooting them in the ship.

And because of that history, the close knit, oft-times defiant and always unique culture of EVE’s community has allowed us to grow the EVE universe even more. The war theaters of DUST 514 exist because you have poured the sweat, cried the delicious tears and returned from the clone vats again and again with blood refreshed.

You have given the EVE universe real meaning.

We appreciate your patience with us this past Fanfest as we so desperately wanted to talk more about DUST 514’s development as we did at Fanfest 2009, but we could not due to this impending announcement and all that goes with it.

Soon ™ has now become SOON and the time looms where EVE will take another massive leap forward through the addition of DUST 514 and mercenaries dying in droves at your financial command, crushed beneath your orbital bombardment or even fighting back when you least expect it. DUST 514, like the other sandbox-style features in EVE, is designed to add true and meaningful experiences to play through persistency, human interaction and the simple mechanic of “choice”.

DUST 514 is a unique technical and design endeavor to be sure, that CCP—in particular our Shanghai office—has been laboring tirelessly and expertly for years to create. I could not be prouder of them.

Perhaps more importantly, the endeavor is an equally unique social one. You made EVE into such an amazing game that we had to make another game to supplement it.

Now that the mercs are out of the bag, we hope you will join us as we unveil more about DUST 514 in the lead up to launch.

A few good places to start learning about DUST 514:
  • The PlayStation.Blog post about DUST 514. CCP Shadow has been answering player questions there since the announcement took place.
  • The Official DUST 514 website
  • The DUST 514 Facebook and Twitter Pages
  • The ”A Future Vision” trailer we showed at Fanfest which portrays where we are headed with the EVE universe
  • The discussion thread attached to this blog
With Sony as a partner we can make the fullest use of PlayStation 3’s technical arsenal (including PS Home and the whole Sony ecosystem). Furthermore, exclusivity brings the powerful ability to design for the highest common denominator by sticking to one platform and all of its strengths.

We are all, as in the day of EVE’s launch in 2003, poised to grasp the potential energy of the EVE universe and once again mold it in our image.

Again, thank you for bringing us all to this point. I look forward to shooting you in the face soon.

Hilmar Veigar Pétursson

CEO of CCP

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »
Then ofc another reason for not going with xbawks - ccp is actually faster at patching its games than MS is at patching anything that uses Live :)

Also xbawks live doesnt allow outside things to link in and vice versa apparently - very strict rules by MS - so the shared world stuff wouldnt actually work.