Author Topic: Star Trek XI New Teaser  (Read 15261 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Star Trek XI New Teaser
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »
Wierd. I'm diametrically opposed to practically all of you. I loved Cloverfield (it's a monster film, what were you expecting?), I love Lost (best season finales of practically any show), and I hated Farscape with a passion.  :D.

Agreed - although dont like lost after mid season 3 ;)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 09:02:30 AM »
Wierd. I'm diametrically opposed to practically all of you. I loved Cloverfield (it's a monster film, what were you expecting?), I love Lost (best season finales of practically any show), and I hated Farscape with a passion.  :D.

Agreed - although dont like lost after mid season 3 ;)

Whaaaat, that's when it gets really good *boggle*. I think I woke up in opposite world.

Did you stick with it till the end of the season? The last 4 maybe 5 eps of season 3 (the finale is top notch), and all of season 4 has been some of the best telly of recent times.

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
Cloverfeild is good because it employs a unique and inventive approach to both style and narrative. Confusingly however I'm not talking about the first person, hand held super effects... oh no, though at an initial glance the average film go'er may assume that the effects are indeed the meat of the production, what actually drives this film is considerably more subtle than you may have realized.

For the audience the focus is not on the monster nor with the spectacle of the First person hand held experience, the focus is with the characters... indeed both performance and dialogue constantly begging the question; Just when are these annoying hecks going to die?

Abrams genius was to write characters so amazingly unbearable that as long as an audience left the cinema happy in the knowledge that each asshole got crushed or eaten the rest of the film could be completely ignored.

While you may well have heard reports of people coming out of the cinema with motion sickness the stories of the 1000s of people weeping blood and eating their own face after viewing the opening 20 minute party sequence where mercilessly buried. Abrams going so far as to kidnap each and every critic who attempted to cover the story and sending them off to live on a mysterious island and never telling them what exactly was going on.

While audience’s deaths have been attributed to the opening section, relief that the yuppie twats all eventually die actually formed such strong bonds between cinema patrons that in many cases it led to marriage.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:06:57 AM by Debaser »
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »
Also Farscape was rubbish  ;D

Sci-fi died when Firefly was canceld if anything!
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 10:21:10 AM »
They were unlikable characters, fair enough. I didn't find them any more unlikable than 90% of characters in mainstream media though? They're just your common or garden american stereotypes. I bet Kirk in this new Trek film would not have looked out of place in Cloverfield.

Battlestar is still burning the quality sci-fi flame. God knows what we'll do when that's gone.

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
They were unlikable characters, fair enough. I didn't find them any more unlikable than 90% of characters in mainstream media though? They're just your common or garden american stereotypes. I bet Kirk in this new Trek film would not have looked out of place in Cloverfield.

Battlestar is still burning the quality sci-fi flame. God knows what we'll do when that's gone.

BSG got rid of that daft religious/spiritual plot line for the robots then? ;)

As for what to do after BSG finishes. B5 reruns ftw :D

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 10:34:05 AM »
They have occasionally gone overboard on the religious storylines. I don't much like it myself, especially where they've gone with Baltar in season 4, but everything else is golden. The characters in that show are really good (Tigh is brilliant!).

B5 reruns ftw :D

<3 got all the boxsets. Fuckin' loves me some B5. I even liked Crusade and the tv movies they did (semi-)recently.

I'm dead easy to please, me.

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »
Where as you may not have liked Farscape ( i urge you to watch it all) it was the top rated show on Sci-Fi at the time of its cancellation. Firefly suffered from the Americans lack of patience with a show, first 6 episodes pretty dull not much to talk about but then it gets going only to be canned.

BSG is ace(although havent seen any season 4) but it probably is THE only (non repeats) Scifi show on telly.

B5 always will be the daddy (although the last 2 season show what happens when executives constantly change there minds over the future of a show, the pacing is bizarre at times), the movies are meh but watchable, Lost tales is just like 2 episodes with the possibility of continuing both into the future.

"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »
Sci-fi died when Firefly was canceld if anything!

QFT

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 08:12:40 PM »
Hello, I missed a bit of conversation. It was that kind of day at work.

Cloverfield fascinated me because it went in on the understanding that the viewer will very likely recognise everything that's going on, without having to be in the C&C bunker. When the medic starts screaming "Bite!" you know what's happening. I don't think they need to make a second one though. It's a novel idea, but that's its attraction for me. Novelty.

Ahh, Farscape. Sci-fi on acid. And filmed in Oz! Plus, In Crighton's Brain Scorpius was fun. One of the moments in that show that sticks out for me is when Crighton is throwing some one-episode bad guy around the room, shouting "Who's your daddy? Who's your daddy? D'Argo, tell him who his daddy is!"

And D'Argo, who's standing off to one side with his arms folded across his chest, says, "I'm your daddy."

Firefly: I own it. And the movie. There's a book of starmaps coming out for it, which I saw an excellent preview of on i09. I'm trying to figure out a way to get someone to buy it for Christmas for me.

B5: Strangely, I never saw the fifth season. But this was because Channel 9 in Oz always bought all the sci-fi shows and then messed us around by irregularly showing them with starting times between 11pm and 12:30am on Thursday nights. Oh how I hated The Footy Show, which preceded it and was allowed to run as long it liked. But B5 provided several years of tremendous enjoyment to me and some of my friends. I still keep an eye out for JMS's comic work. His run on Spiderman is excellent, though I stopped at the convenient arc end-point of the Book of Ezekiel.

BSG: I've only seen up to the end of season 2. I'm still good with it. One day, I hope to see the rest. And why shouldn't robots be trying to find God? Weren't they made in the images of humans? (Okay, don't answer that, because I don't want to hear spoilers.) But a lot of people do seem to be a bit edgy about the direction it's taken.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Baptiste

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 08:26:29 PM »
I hope he doesn't regret saying this,

"... Sure as day follows night. Sure as eggs is eggs. Sure as every odd numbered Star Trek movie is sh!t."
- Simon Pegg 1999

The trailer looks appauling, seems to me like Watchmen is going to be the big film for next year.

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
I Hope the watchman film is shit. Not becuase I want it to be shit, I want it to be the best film adaptation of a comic book ever made. I just know that if I put an ounce of hope into it being any good at all itl turn out to be phantom menace all over again and I'm not sure I can die inside twice.
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »
I truly want watchmen to be a good movie, but im not sure if they have the balls to adapt it 100% true.

Although Sin City surprised me when it was made so maybe (i hope) Hollywood knows comics arent just about your clean cut hero types.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »
I'm not sure I can die inside twice.

Bet you can. ;D
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
http://pixelatedgeek.com/2009/03/new-star-trek-trailer-is-out-now/

Official trailer - a NEW one :)

ANd holy shit - that looks fucking epic beyond belief!