Author Topic: A rant about the BBC  (Read 10335 times)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
A rant about the BBC
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »
<rant>

So BBC iplayer isn't available to those without a UK IP-address. Very annoying when your household consists of two avid Dr Who fans who want to watch the Christmas intro (missed it during Children in Need) and see the Tennant interview where he talks about his departure (/tear /heartbreak).

We're not allowed to see it on iplayer due to rights, blablabla... whatever the reason.

Meanwhile, we and many other people in Europe can watch BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC, CBeebies and all regional BBCs, ITV 1, 2, 3, 4, Channel 4, More4, E4, Film4, pretty much everything that's free to air or availabe via Freesat. Just need to put up a small satellite dish. Complete free, no subscription required. All damn day long.

And everyone outside the UK watching via FTA satellite don't have to pay a damn thing for UK tv channels.

So basically... what is the point of restricting I-player?!
I know there's probably a lot of money for various rights involved... but it's a damn interview with Tennant and a trailer ffs. It's not like it's the whole show.

Anyone got any good arguments as to why they lock it down so well, while every other BBC Channel is pretty much 'open' to everyone in the UK (legally if they have an even more stupendous tv license) and beyond?

Excuse me while I go pester a buddy in the UK to set up his webcam and mic so I can watch the clips via his pc.
WTG BBC!

</rant>

On a more serious note, thank you BBC for all the quality programs we get to watch absolutely free and thanks to those who actually do pay the ridiculous tv license which keeps the BBC running.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Baptiste

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Re: A rant about the BBC
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
It might be on UK Nova.

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »
Because streaming media over the internet has a real cost attached. A broadcast's a broadcast, doesn't much matter how many people are watching, but every additional user on iPlayer means more infrastructure the BBC has to put in place to handle that load. If they were to allow the world to access all their programming free via the iPlayer then they would have to implement a massive increase in their infrastructure, which would be paid for my muggins here namely by an increase in that accursed license fee.

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »
Yeah. Shame they're not allowed to monetize iplayer with ads or something.
Or figure out some sort of p2pish system.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »
I thinks its due to "the unique way the BBC is funded" that means everyone in the UK is a subscriber is probably the reasoning behind this, as its a non commercial station it probably wouldnt make financial sense to allow anyone access.

Plus shows like Dr Who are sold around the world ;) any torrent site is likely to have them available to download.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
The licensce fee is so worth it, it isn't funny.

I'm amazed at people who want rid of it, I don't think people will realise just how fantastic the BBC is until it's gone.

If anything it's the only thing preventing British TV from decending into the US model and honestly go attempt to watch American TV for any length of time.. It's awful. I can hear the HBO argument around the corner but thats very much the minority of American televison and scrapping the BBC, letting the whole thing fall into the hands of marking, dosn't mean we're going to be getting a HBO equivalent popping up anytime soon.
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
The licensce fee is so worth it, it isn't funny.

Not to me it's not. I haven't watched the beeb for... years. I don't listen to the radio. The closest I get is the bbc website, which I do tend to read but if it would save me 140 quid a year, I'd drop it for a commercial news site in an instant.

All I use the telly for is wii/xbox and dvds. Yet I'm forced to pay it, under the threat of criminal prosecution and draconian fines because I own a tv which is capable of receiving their signal even through the aerial hasn't even been plugged in for 2 years.

Yeah I'm one of "those" people.

I'm not really advocating the abolition of the entire organisation, just the enforced nature of the license fee. The way I look at it is this. If you watch the bbc, you listen to the radio, and you read their news; you're probably happy to pay the license fee, right? So why not make it a subscription service like sky channels etc. If you pay the subscription you can go to bbc news site, you get all the bbc channels on yer telly. If they cannot survive on the revenue from that, and that alone, then they do not deserve to continue without either embracing advertising or trimming some of the fat out (bbc 3.. 4, 5? how many channels are there?). It's an archaic model that needs to be updated for the times.

Why should I be forced to subsidise a service which I do not even wish to make use of?

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
I must say i dont mind the fee although at certain times in the past when ive been skint its an unwanted cost. Id say i watch BBC3 more than any other BBC channel after all heroes shows on here a week before BBC2, also all the late night shows are there :)

American TV really is bad 20 mins of adverts in every hour is just god awful
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »
If anything it's the only thing preventing British TV from decending into the US model and honestly go attempt to watch American TV for any length of time.. It's awful. I can hear the HBO argument around the corner but thats very much the minority of American televison and scrapping the BBC, letting the whole thing fall into the hands of marking, dosn't mean we're going to be getting a HBO equivalent popping up anytime soon.

Thus, the bizarre trend of the US taking British shows and remaking them largely true to the original. I've caught a post or two on the net about "this week's Life from Mars" in the US, and I've seen the first season of the British version. They sound very similar.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 05:01:50 PM »

All I use the telly for is wii/xbox and dvds. Yet I'm forced to pay it, under the threat of criminal prosecution and draconian fines because I own a tv which is capable of receiving their signal even through the aerial hasn't even been plugged in for 2 years.

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
Bristol
BS98 1TL.

http://tvlicensing.metafaq.com/templates/tvlicensing/main

I do agree though that the way in which the license is enforced is dreadful, got harassed repeatedly myself when I was a student over a broken set that was in my room that I simply couldn't be bothered to throw out. I ended up taking a hammer to it in front of the dude on the 6th or 7th visit.

I don't watch any TV anymore, I don't even own one. Flat mates do however and I listen to enough of the radio and do enough bbc.comin' to feel it worth chipping in. The good comedy produced in the past from the beeb was so good that imo its worth paying in hope that they find their feet and make something decent again in the future.

it's an archaic model that needs to be updated for the times.

It certainly is and does. I've just heard one too many people crying about it recently because they think they should when I know for a fact they really fucking love the BBC and wouldn't know what to do without it.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:05:17 PM by Debaser »
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »

Thus, the bizarre trend of the US taking British shows and remaking them largely true to the original. I've caught a post or two on the net about "this week's Life from Mars" in the US, and I've seen the first season of the British version. They sound very similar.

almost exploded when I heard they where remaking spaced.
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
American version of spaced will SUUCCKKK, and Simon Pegg is having absolutely nothing to do with it he wont touch it with a barge pole, its just not American Humour.

Americans dont know the meaning of irony and sarcasm.

All the new Comedy on BBC is trialled on 3 before moving to 2 if it gets good showing figures. so if your bored late at night between the repeats of Family Guy, and Last Man Standing you occasionally catch some good old British Comedy (although it is mostly aimed at the 20 somethings).

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 08:46:25 AM »
I ended up taking a hammer to it in front of the dude on the 6th or 7th visit.

Hilarious! I guess I learned something then, I'm certain that never used to be their policy (re: game/dvd tellys). The thing is I can't find that information on the tvlicensing.co.uk site - where did you get that link from?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:06:41 AM by Torgal »

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
http://tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp

then "Get Help"

then "Computers and DVD players"

The ENFORCERS!! great name.. of course will probably tell you it requires one anyway but It's a simple matter of telling them to politely fuck off. I do enjoy wasting their time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:01:07 AM by Debaser »
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 10:10:19 AM »
Excellent. They don't make it easy do they? I love the way the "General Information" section isn't available when you just click on "Licensing Information" from the front page.

Thanks very much, you may have saved me 140 quid a year ;)

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"