Author Topic: Sir David Attenborough <3  (Read 9093 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Sir David Attenborough <3
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8273000/8273655.stm

Great article, linking to an even more amazing set of his most memorable events from his awesome shows over the last 30 years or more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wildlifefinder/
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: Sir David Attenborough <3
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:15 AM »
Very good.
If i could choose a life style and start over i'd want to do what D.A> has done. You can keep all your film stars, presidents and sports hero's. I'd rather be a D.A. anyday.
It was largely due to his programs on 'wildlife on one' and his first complete series 'Life on Earth'.  That i changed direction and went on to do a geology / vulcanology / human biology degree mix.

I don't think theres much he's done that i dont have on DvD
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
lemme guess, i live outside of the UK and thus aint worthy enough to watch this stuff?
stupid legal blahblah  >:(
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
lemme guess, i live outside of the UK and thus aint worthy enough to watch this stuff?
stupid legal blahblah  >:(

its due to the "unique" way the BBC is funded, as we all (UK citizens) are legally obliged to fund the channel
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »
well, so do we for our 3 national channels, we are legally obliged to pay tax, thus we are legally obliged to pay for our national channels  ;)
but if you (UK citizens) refuse to share with us (lower beings), go right ahead. we dont want your crap anyway

;D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
well, so do we for our 3 national channels, we are legally obliged to pay tax, thus we are legally obliged to pay for our national channels  ;)
but if you (UK citizens) refuse to share with us (lower beings), go right ahead. we dont want your crap anyway

;D

lol.

they do sell the viewing rights of it world wide and its always on, on one of the various documentary channels on sky. worth catching if u like nature and natural history
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »
Actually we don't pay for our public TV channels anymore, ever since the government agreed with the rest of the country some years back and decided to stop bothering with the kijk- en luistergeld. :)
I think forcing people to pay it cost more money than the revenues anyway, last couple of years....
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »
we still pay taxes though... dunno why, but we do  ::)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:04:45 AM »
Don't you mean you pay for having cable-TV? :) That's to Ziggo, not to Dutchland. :P
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:16:05 AM »
How do you think the public channels get funded then?

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:15:16 AM »
At this point I would like to say thank you to all the British members who fund BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4, BBC HD and all the other British channels which are available for free via satellite. You guys are awesome. Granted, you don't have much of a choice with the tv license nazi's breathing down your necks. But you are awesome none the less.

The fact that iPlayer and even regular website content (like the Dr Who or Torchwood miniwebsites) are often blocked for foreigners is a bit poo, but all the free tv channels make up for it. Our old tv broke this week (image was like looking in one of those 'fun' mirrors), so we're all fancy pants 32" HD now. BBC channels look tremendously awesome, even the regular digital BBC channels are quite close to HD with a decent HD box. And that's all thanks to your generous donations, allowing the BBC to maintain a higher bandwith ratio than other (Dutch) channels.

Our public channels used to be funded through a separate tv license (per connection, not tv set) but afaik they now fund the public channels through all sorts of hidden taxes. Just so they can buy football rights for millions and millions of euro's. Load of rubbish. They should kill off the Dutch public channels as soon as possible and throw out the royal family as well. Can't believe they're actually giving the royals a RAISE in salary when thousands of people are out of a job. Don't get me wrong, I think the credit crunch rocks, it weeds out all the bad seeds. But I just hate 'royal' families that leech off society (aka my damn money).

Maybe if the tv license people would stop sending out letters that say they're going to sue you every flipping week, they'd actually save some money to go towards the BBC channels. Wasteful bunch of fuckers. If the Dutch public channels even came remotely close to the BBC channels, I'd happily pay for them. BBC has brought us more quality television and entertainment in a week than the Dutch public channels have all my life.

Just to add something remotely on topic:
David Attenborough looks like a swell chap.
But I'm more of a Patrick Stewart voice over fanboy.

That'll be all.
I'm good now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:32:05 AM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »
Weird thing is I am intensely proud of the BBC and loath and despise them at the same time.  I'm still a bit ambivalent on what they did with Dr Who, but if the only thing they had produced in the last 30 years was the David Attenborough series then it would still have been worth every penny of the license fee.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »
Weird thing is I am intensely proud of the BBC and loath and despise them at the same time.  I'm still a bit ambivalent on what they did with Dr Who, but if the only thing they had produced in the last 30 years was the David Attenborough series then it would still have been worth every penny of the license fee.
[/b]

couldnt agree more

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »

i do love the Beeb and all that but the way they repeat shit all the time pssies me off, we all love no ads we all hate (i hope ) endless repeats of shit, BBC3 is my love child yet it shows maybe 1 hr of "new" progs a day reapet are endless repeats, thats poooooooh

YES im pissed, SAF loves my pissed posting, love you man ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
YES im pissed, SAF loves my pissed posting, love you man
How right you are  :D
likewise matey  :)