Author Topic: Skirmishes  (Read 22857 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Skirmishes
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:33:14 PM »
So to quote Garry:

the skirmish system itself is worth the cost, it just sounds ace, and available at LVL 30+ tunable by group size and with 3 difficulty options, random each time, usable siege weapons in some, and bosses that may decide to appear. Can you say Helms Deep here we come  ;)

and we are talking about 12 skirmishes at launch with more to be added, more content there than in some expansions ive seen in other games, 3 new 3 man instances, 1 new 6 man instance and the new 12 man raid. Hardly what id expect in a "free" update.

These are the new places I can get class items from - with tokens - as I level I take it (Suggested from screenshots ive seen on the US boards)?

They do sound good, something that should let me enjoy to play Beo and eventually my alts, I wont pin my hopes on them of course, as given the current limited size of the pool of people Im willing to share my game time with (ie I dont pug), the very fact they can be tailored in size and scope is great for me and by turn the rest of you who play Lotro with me etc.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
Re: Skirmishes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »
These are the new places I can get class items from - with tokens - as I level I take it (Suggested from screenshots ive seen on the US boards)?

an idea of what tradeable in the skirmish system, but yeah those pesky LVL 50 quest items are tradeable.

*  Armour Vendors (Light, Medium, Heavy) - Full sets of light, medium, and heavy armour plus shields are available for levels 30, 33, 37, 40, 43, 47, 50, 53, 57, 60, 63 and 65, as well as some stronger endgame level 65 items. At each level band, there are a few "Veteran" items. These cost additional Marks and have better stats than the others at the same level band. These items will be about as strong as quest items of the same level, with the Veteran items being a bit stronger.
    * Jewelry and Cloaks - Same as Armour, but jewelry and cloaks! Weapons - Similar to Armour, but the selection shifts at level 50+ (when Legendary Items become available) and only off-hand items are sold.
    * Legendary Items – Blanks (Unidentified Legendary Items), runics, IXP runes, scrolls, and various new goodies that are being added to Legendary Items (See the Legendary Item Dev Diary for more info).
    * Crafting - Scroll cases, optional ingredients, and some new special components being introduced with Siege of Mirkwood. Cosmetics - Housing, cosmetic items and Soldier cosmetic traits.
    * Curiosities - Reputation items, various items from old quests (you'll see), and Mark upgrades. Basically, he's got all the weird stuff that didn’t fit anywhere else and a number of goodies you didn’t expect to see again.
    * Provisioner - The Provisioner will allow you to sell and repair items as well as purchase various potions with SM.

Do note that the Xp gain in skirmishes isnt going to let you level exclusively with skirmishes, i believe the daily quests will give relevant xp but running a skirmish will give a smaller amount.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:49:56 PM by Caradir »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »
They sure sound good. I hope I get to do many runs in them :)

The USA people have today a chnace to log on into Bullroarer (the test server) and stress test the skirmishes. Should mean there is tomorow lots of opinions available on the US forums about the skirmishes :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
Heres a list of skirmishes available at SOM release (some require an unlock)

Trouble in Tuckborough (30-65)
Brigands and goblins have laid siege to the Great Smials. You have to clear their camps and confront their leader to free the Thain.

Siege of Gondamon (30-65)
Gondamon has been under siege by the Dourhands and Blue Crag goblins for nearly two weeks. It's up to you, Mathi, and the Gondamon NPCs to endure the lengthy waves and bring down their leader.

Stand at Amon Sul (35-65)
Help Candaith hold the summit of Weathertop from the forces of a ravaging Cargul, keeping campfires lit in the pouring rain to hold the dark at bay.

Survival: Barrow-Downs (40-70)
Make a stand at the Dead Spire against ever more powerful waves of undead horrors. You'll be overwhelmed eventually, but how long can you hold out before that?

Thievery and Mischief (45-65)
Brigands have seized the south of Bree! Bring justice to their ranks, fight from the Auction Hall to the Town Hall to clear them out of town.

Defence of the Prancing Pony (50-65)
Brigands are attacking Bree, causing the citizens to hole up inside the Prancing Pony. Drive off the attacking brigands, and prevent them from burning down the Pony.

Ford of Bruinen (55-65)
Orcs and Uruks are driving siege engines toward Rivendell! Make your stand against them with Elrohir and Elladan on the Ford of Bruinen.

And the Epic-gated ones:

Strike Against Dannenglor (60-70)
Assault the morroval-infested ruins of Dannenglor and rescue prisoners from it.

Protectors of Thangulhad (60-70)
What was once a key fortress of the orcs is now held by a small band of elves. Unfortunately, the orcs are marching there in force. Fortunately, the ballistae and catapults still work...

Breaching the Necromancer's Gate (65-70)
An assault on Dol Guldur

Assault on the Ringwraith's Lair (65-70)
Continued from the Necromancer's Gate

Battle in the Tower (65-70)
The conclusion of Book Nine: Fortress of the Nazgul
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »
Ooooh, they sure sound good! Cant wait to check them out :)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:47:51 AM »
You know what the coolest thing about skirmishes is? It's this:

That's the Indiana Jones hat, or officially called "Adventurer's Hat", is a cosmetic item which can be purchased with 3 Adlan markers. You get Adlan markers from the skirmishes "Thievery and Mischief", "Prancing Pony" and "Barrow-downs".

I must have one for my burglar. I *must* have one for my burglar!

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Not very Lotro in its design, but maybe, finally, headgear worthy of my Hobbit!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »
some of the cosmetic backpacks look nice for a hobbit too try and find the cooks one its ace :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 05:49:33 PM »
an awesome LINK explaining skirmishes.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
an awesome LINK explaining skirmishes.
Thanks! Excellent guide! :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
heres the table that shows mark gain per level /size/ and difficulty settings

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
-3 solo skirmishes seem to still give pretty good yield. I guess that is the way to go (or maybe even -4 for the first tries) until the soldier has gained some skills.

I am btw quite sure now I am going for the bannerguard as my first soldier for Fitzer. The bannerguard should be pretty useful in fellowships too, and if I understand right he should be able to tank, at least for a few seconds (and that is all a burg needs; please mr Mob, just look the other way for a few seconds while I get behind you, hur hur hur....) in solo skirmishes. The buffs the bannerguard has are not that exceptionally good, but anything and everything will add up :)  Another option would be Protector, but I am not sure how useful he would be in fellowship.

I intend to level up more soldiers too, but thinking about how to get most of the initial soldier, wether soloing or doing stuff in a fellowship :)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 03:29:20 PM »
so can you get things to use in the real game or is everything you can get only usable in skirmishes
and are there any titles you can work towards  ?

think i will lvl a warrior to go with my minstrel.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:52:52 PM by Keggi »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
so can you get things to use in the real game or is everything you can get only usable in skirmishes
and are there and title you can work towards  ?

think i will lvl a warrior to go with my minstrel.

soldiers only usable in skirmishes, so in a 12 man skirmish its gonna be epic with 12 soldiers along as well ;)

remember gain enough skirmish marks you can purchase all roles ( 68 marks per role, and 19 marks for level 1 skills)for your soldier so you can mix and match for utility in group/fellow.

plus if my hunch is right you can fit multiple roles to your soldier to give even wider variety.

and with marks you can buy lots of gear, armour/jewellery/weapons etc to use in open game.

Also the level 50 class quest stuff can also be purchased with marks, stopping the price gouging that goes on with it (but probably meaning some will miss the fun that is Urugarth and Carn Dum)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
Heres a list of skirmishes available at SOM release (some require an unlock)

Trouble in Tuckborough (30-65)
Brigands and goblins have laid siege to the Great Smials. You have to clear their camps and confront their leader to free the Thain.

Siege of Gondamon (30-65)
Gondamon has been under siege by the Dourhands and Blue Crag goblins for nearly two weeks. It's up to you, Mathi, and the Gondamon NPCs to endure the lengthy waves and bring down their leader.

Stand at Amon Sul (35-65)
Help Candaith hold the summit of Weathertop from the forces of a ravaging Cargul, keeping campfires lit in the pouring rain to hold the dark at bay.

Survival: Barrow-Downs (40-70)
Make a stand at the Dead Spire against ever more powerful waves of undead horrors. You'll be overwhelmed eventually, but how long can you hold out before that?

Thievery and Mischief (45-65)
Brigands have seized the south of Bree! Bring justice to their ranks, fight from the Auction Hall to the Town Hall to clear them out of town.

Defence of the Prancing Pony (50-65)
Brigands are attacking Bree, causing the citizens to hole up inside the Prancing Pony. Drive off the attacking brigands, and prevent them from burning down the Pony.

Ford of Bruinen (55-65)
Orcs and Uruks are driving siege engines toward Rivendell! Make your stand against them with Elrohir and Elladan on the Ford of Bruinen.

And the Epic-gated ones:

Strike Against Dannenglor (60-70)
Assault the morroval-infested ruins of Dannenglor and rescue prisoners from it.

Protectors of Thangulhad (60-70)
What was once a key fortress of the orcs is now held by a small band of elves. Unfortunately, the orcs are marching there in force. Fortunately, the ballistae and catapults still work...

Breaching the Necromancer's Gate (65-70)
An assault on Dol Guldur

Assault on the Ringwraith's Lair (65-70)
Continued from the Necromancer's Gate

Battle in the Tower (65-70)
The conclusion of Book Nine: Fortress of the Nazgul

Devs trolled the LOTR Appendices and all the various other addendum books it seems. 

Wish they;d have grabbed one of the battles fought around Erebor during the War of the Ring :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."