Author Topic: Champions Beta  (Read 61664 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Champions Beta
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »
ok realised i havent said anything about stats/combat :)

stats

Strength: Knockback, Knockback Resistance, Picking stuff up, Throwing stuff.

Dexterity: Chance to crit, amount of damage avoided when you successfully dodge.

Constitution: Hit points, hit point recovery.

Intellect: Reduces the cost of all powers, Stealth detection, Pet DPS.

Ego: Crit Severity, Strength of hold effects, ability to free yourself from some holds.

Presence: Threat Scaling more in Offensive role, less in Defensive Role (more on these later) Also, some stuff for buff powers and pet HP.

Recovery: Equilibrium, energy generated by your fighting attacks.

Endurance: Energy max, energy generated by your fighting attacks

Str really does let you throw big stuff ;)

Combat: so ill assume youve been twiddling you rthumbs for a minute or so and that means your Endurance is at its equilibrium amount (no power pool as such you get endurance)

The first power you pick at creation is your endurance builder - generally a light damaging ability that generates endurance (for power armour its Wrist Bolters does about 7-8 dps at level 1 and generates about 12 endurance ps)

Then every other power feeds off your endurance, increasing recovery and endurance increases charge rate and maximum endurance and ups your equilibrium value. So want to open up with that sweet Tier 3 power up Recovery so you have the Endurance to begin with.

Also you can activate powers together as long as they originate from differing body parts, Power armour probably has more locations than some of the more conventional power forms, so i usually start with Wrist Bolters (endurance builder, arms), Then my Laser Beams (eyes) and fially my Micro Munitions (Aoe Mini missiles :)  from chest) if i had chosen i could also have a Shoulder mounted mini gun that attacks in a cylinder, and i do also have my chest beam for utility (chest beam requires charging so turns off all other powers to use but does have a nice kb effect so i use it in PVP) so as you see i usually have 3 powers attacking at once and my endurance at max can handle this for about 12 secs before the missiles need to stop.

i also have my defensive build with the Invulnerable power (remembered its name :)  ) which improves  resists passively, and for balanced role i use nanite regeneration (i think :) from the gadgeteering line, which gives endurance every time a power comes off cooldown)

Another thing to note is leveling up, when you level you get 1 of 3 things , a new power, new stats (think backgrounds for your hero that improve stats i.e. Politician gives + INt and presence) or points to improve powers either for upgrading tier (each power has 3 tiers) or by bolting on additions (to make them unique to you, such as the gadgeteering Prototype Gun can have a chance at instant kill (doesnt work on super villains +  )or the chance that powers give endurance on ending leading to many tactics which i imagine will be looked into and discussed at length upon release)

The game isnt perfect, by far , but as im sure you see im quite excited by it and as i said previously its looking like a fairly problem free release if they keep going, rumours are open beta in 3-4 weeks so keep eyes peeled if interested ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:53:09 PM »
looks pretty good ill probs give this a go.

laters elv

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »
Does it have quest/mission helpers and all that retarded Bullshit that is endemic in MMO's as played by the mouthbreathing set these days?

In fact, how is levelling - grind or quest mainly, is there pvp (and if so instanced ala bg/scenarios or actually good old open world)?

Obviously if you cannot answer due to NDA then I'll wait until I find leaks on the other forums I inhabit :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
leveling is mostly due to quests killing anything below an arch villain gives few xps, PVP is arena team based (HERO games) and open (BASH championship) they are still tweaking the PVP side of things.

ive already breached the NDA with the info ive given and the screenies so a little extra isnt going to matter ;)

questing comes in the form of standard quests from quest givers, to PQ type, to random people running up to you in the street asking for help to stumbling across "Bank Raids" etc whilst exploring.

1 of the chains in Millenium city i liked is from a bloke in China town who has misplaced his red truck ;) all his missions are based on a certain movie :D
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
Like the sound of the missions especially theming, but "arena" just put me off pvp and I so liked the idea of FFA pvp (The championship sounds like it has rules to protect the retarded... :( and tbh the only rule they need is one saying "CTRL Q if you dont like it").

*The evil instanced and rules based pvp hating side of me may be out to play right now ;)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »
gods no no rules if you have a power it does what it says, BASH is FFA played over a cityscape map ,as i said before melee is next to impossible in PVP they usually only have a few powers to ground fliers and dont always work ;) the arenas are fun (cage match ;)  )  my only gripe about PVP is the dicks who leave as soon as they start losing, yet stay till the end if winning irritates me.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
Big map or little map or the actual living game world?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 05:03:52 PM »
didnt try it out too many rubber bands on hamsters to try it (as it was just added last  night ;)  )  also plans for a PVP scenario where groups take opposing sides in a prison break scenario sound fun, turrets and all.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »
Ok, we need to start co-ordinating which servers we end up on.

And where do I go to pre-order it?

I'll have to talk my Super Group into trying this out.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
Guys, just found this on the CO website:

http://www.gamerzines.com/pc/magazine/champions-online-beta-keys.html

Myself and Yyan have just got Beta keys for the start of August!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »
i preordered from Play

NIce one the fact they are giving away 10 000  keys for start of August must be for the start of stress tests :)

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »
I have been successful in getting a beta key too!!

laters elv

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
* Mangala ponders preordering for a key... but just doesnt have time for everything!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
have you tried the gamerzine link kurtt gave to see if they have any left?

http://www.gamerzines.com/pc/magazine/champions-online-beta-keys.html

doubtful but you never know

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »
They dont.

Ran out over the weekend iirc.