Author Topic: Scenario Teamplay - Calculating contribution  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Envicta

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Scenario Teamplay - Calculating contribution
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:59:39 PM »
Thought I'd have a slight rant, while getting your opinions on somethings that upsets me..

If I came out and said,  the only true TEAM-WORKING in a Scenario PUG is the fact that Healers are healing everyone,   then I don't think I'd be far wrong..  (slight exception may be RP's who resurrect)

As an example,  Engineers have choice of 2 Morale abilities for Rank-2

1)    Increases your damage by 100% for 7 seconds
2)    Decreases all damage your Group takes by 20% for 15 seconds..

I'm no saint, but I'd be thinking to myself..       

Option 1 is going to improve my DPS,   therefore improve my Renown and XP..
Option 2 isn't..   although it might mean we win the game..

This is my core point for this thread...        The difference between doing something with measurable contribution and doing something that might win you the game... 

I think the same logic can be used for nearly every single utility ability in the game..

From Abilities that drain the enemies AP's,   lower resistances,  lower AR migration or anything like that..

When I played on my Arch-Mage,   I very rarely used the Action-point drain ability..    I just didn't seem to find the time to use it..        I'll also admit that it has no clear contribution to my "Damage Caused", "Healing done"..      So maybe at the back of my mind its not something I consider ..

Do you think the Magus casting the root was to stop everyone, so people could DPS them down,   or do you think he was doing it to save himself?   I'm going to say the latter...

Are you like me?      Do you do everything in those 15 minutes to maximise your DPS or to do as much healing as possible?       

That is definitely my priority for majority of the time,   however I will look out for opportunities on how I can help people.

On my Engineer in MT,  I will use Barb-wire when I see the Bauble-holder is running my way and he's being chased...

On my WP in TA,  I will attempt to resurrect Tanks,   because I know how important they are to making advances...

So why is all of this?     Is it because we're selfish buggers?    or is it because Mythic put a Scoreboard at the end of the Scenario, and we're all so god damn competitive?

I'll hold my hands up and say that I will always look after myself first when I'm on my Engineer...

On my WP,  I have been known to sacrifice myself a few times, so that someone can survive...       I'll use my Rank-1 morale ability to keep a Tank up,  knowing that if I don't cast it on myself that I'll die within seconds..

So without annoying anyone or accusing people... 

How do you feel about this?      What sort of utilities don't you use?       What examples of team-play are you proud of?

The key purpose here is to find out a LOT of details about the other careers in this game,  by looking at the abilities you don't often see...         Its also to try and understand the difficulties that careers have in using these abilities..           

I think overall contribution would greatly improve if we all knew what everyone else does and how we could help them..

Discuss :)

Envicta.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:49:34 PM by Envicta »

Offline Pythias

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Re: Scenario Teamplay - Calculating contribution
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
This is my core point for this thread...        The difference between doing something with measurable contribution and doing something that might win you the game... 

(...)

Are you like me?      Do you do everything in those 15 minutes to maximise your DPS or to do as much healing as possible?
1) I do not know how exactly is contribution calculated, but judging from my experience, it goes beyond pure damage and healing done and somehow does include buffs, debuffs, shields, rezzes etc.

2) I do not care about contribution and try to play as i see fit for the situation.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »
Im afraid its a little different for me.  My role is pure healing so ill spec anything that helps me keep people upright.  I dont envy you guys that have to make the choices btwn self and group.  :-\
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
Same. RPs have it easy. ;)
In TA I will sometimes rush in and try and punt a group of destro into the lava if I see a choice opportunity. You could argue that my team would be better off with me 30-40 yards behind the tanks and healing my beard off - but screw that! ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 10:52:56 PM »
I always go for ranged until I work out MDPS with the SW.

In most scenarios I can usually keep some distance - whenever there's a destro rush towards friendly soft targets I usually run towards 'em and use Whirling pin to give 'em some breathing space, switch to Assult Stance and try to get out.

In TA you have to use diff tactics - I always start with an AOE or two until I can get a lock on a squishy. Then I let fly with Festering arrow (which usually gives 500-1000 dmg) and Rapid Fire (another 600 dmg) - at this point I have half a dozen running towards me - so I root with Whirling Pin and try to get out.

It feels like it takes forever for morale to build up - at Rank 3 moral I have napalm - exploding arrows which I usually use with rapid fire and gives on avg 1000 dmg.
I have the group tactic for crit hits equipped which improves the chance of criticals for all when I get a critical.

On a good day I die a few times - on a bad day the long run back to the front-line gets a little boring :)

For me it's working with a good group and seeing if I can beat guildies to the first shot :)

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 12:42:25 AM »
Having my AM specced for dam/debuff, I try to debuff as good for the group as possible, so that is ok I guess.
On the other hand, doing dam is FUN, sometimes a bit too much and I forget to watch the left side of my screen. Err... Sorry guys...  :-\
Starting lvl 31 ill be able to res you faster    :D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Envicta

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »

I appreciate the comments guys..

What would be really useful is if you could list the abilities you dont use,  or those you use very rarely..

What you might perceive as useless,  might actually really help another class..

For example....  my WP has 2 curse abilities,     someone else might have an ability that increases damage on cursed targets...    etc etc

Again,  any help is appreciated :)

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »
"I think overall contribution would greatly improve if we all knew what everyone else does and how we could help them.." definately - check out the class discussion post.

As a Witch Hunter what I love most from a WP is to be the defensive target and receive the strength buff, you can switch out as soon as I get it.  Also, when you stand next to me its like parking next to a Merc in a car park: you stop being the priority target.

Also, on the whole number crunching approach to games: I hate it.  Little-by-little damage meters sucked the fun out of raiding in WoW, and I can see the Scenario pissing contests heading the same way if I start caring about them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:41:35 PM by Jeremiah »