Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade deadline looming  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Windows 10 upgrade deadline looming
« on: July 01, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »
So assuming Microsoft actually pulls the plug on the free upgrade on 29th July 2016...

What say ye? Upgrade from Windows 7/8: yay or nay?

Personally I'm still trying to make up my mind. Privacy settings in Windows 10 can be toned down manually. And surely Microsoft has been collecting plenty of our data for the past 20 years. That's not my biggest concern. I'm not too fond of the constant updating and rebooting it seems to force on you. Or can that be completely disabled as well?

My laptop is from 2011. Definitely planning to get new hardware before Windows 7 becomes obsolete in 2019. So I'm tempted to just stick it out. No telling which of my current programs will stop working or what might go wrong with an upgrade. Or if you need to do a full reinstall. Had a few months a while ago where my graphics drivers and Windows versions were causing a lot of BSODs, but they fixed that. Other than that I've been happy with Windows 7.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 upgrade deadline looming
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »
My brother tried the upgrade and it messed up his pc had to roll it back only time I would use windows 10 is if I got a new machine. and it was already installed.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
only time I would use windows 10 is if I got a new machine. and it was already installed.

This. Sticking with something I know until I want to upgrade the whole rig I reckon.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 06:56:25 AM »
I guess that confirms it for me then. I think I'll let my dad run out his Vista experience until next year on his laptop as well. We were considering bumping him up to Windows 7 and then 10. He can always get a cheap new laptop with Windows 10 next year since he only uses a browser and the occasional Word document anyway.

There's a tool by a well known security expert that makes it easy to change/remove a registry key that will prevent Windows 10 from downloading/installing:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Download button half way down the page on the right. Security expert. Definitely not a usability expert.
Also: sound warning when using the tool. Turn down your volume.

Turns out the girlfriend has been paying more attention than me. I already had 6,3GB worth of Windows 10 files on my laptop ready to be installed! Her laptop was clean. Damn it.  :'(

Removed that shit and disabled it with Never10 with two clicks. 
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.