Author Topic: Transformers: Prime  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Transformers: Prime
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but its a new CGI Transformers series set after the events of the War for Cybertron game.

I've just watched the first 5 episodes, which were aired together as a mini-event.

Have to say, totally blown away by this, an amzing series so far. Initial line-up of Autobots are Optimus, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Arcee and Bulkhead (who appeared in Transformers Animated).

Go find it and watch it, you will not be dissappointed.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Transformers: Prime
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
Pirating this shizzle!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:51 AM »
Kinda related, but I watched the latest Tf movie lastnight, was actually really good.  Still had "shia I cant act" in it, the new bit of skirt was okay until you looked at her face, but the bot on human action and bot on bot really made up for the abortion that was TF2, especially in the final hour of the movie :)

And some nice little referencess to the previous history of the guy playing one of the main protagonists.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
Kinda related, but I watched the latest Tf movie lastnight, was actually really good.  Still had "shia I cant act" in it, the new bit of skirt was okay until you looked at her face, but the bot on human action and bot on bot really made up for the abortion that was TF2, especially in the final hour of the movie :)

And some nice little referencess to the previous history of the guy playing one of the main protagonists.

at least theres no Darth Decepticon unlike 2
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:56:52 PM »
TF3 was Michael Bay sulking about how much you hated TF2. Silent Treatment Optimus is Bay telling you how much you've hurt his feelings.

I found it to be completely schizophrenic, lacking overall coherence and often lacking coherence within individual scenes. Characters would just disappear for a while, while others would randomly go up and down buildings. My friend and I speculated that Bay got various actors completely drunk and then when they woke up in the morning they discovered they'd signed a contract saying they'd be in the movie. In blood. For lots of money.

The attraction of Optimus Prime has always been that he's been, well, a noble truck. And there in the last act of the movie and he isn't saying "We've got to go in there and give our all to save this world and the innocent people who we've brought our war to" to "We're going to kill them all." Entertaining, but a complete change of the character and once again Bay giving you the finger for hurting his feelings, you nasty people on the internet.

I still find the idea of multiple Primes simultaneously existing to be hilarious.

The new girl bugged the hell out of me. The last girl could at least hotwire a car. The new one was supposed to look like a car, apparently.

Shockwave was tragically underutilised and there was some kind of random goblin Decepticon in a couple of scenes. What was that about?

The action scenes still look like they smashed a whole lot of cars together into a ball and rolled it down a hill and filmed that. More than once, I found myself blinking and thinking, "Wait, has he been there the whole scene?"

I was actually okay with the concept of The Fallen, because I know where he got it from. The Fallen is taken straight from the second War Within miniseries, in which one of the original thirteen Transformers pops up and just about destroys everything. There was a character named Liege Maximo glimpsed at the end of the second run of the Marvel US comic as well, who was the original Decepticon, but that series got cancelled before the idea could be developed. Although frankly that series wasn't going in a good direction. So yeah, I'm good with the concept of The Fallen, but Bay crapped all over it.

You can say it's just popcorn fare, but you can make a summer blockbuster like The Dark Knight or Terminator 2. You can do something decent with this material. Michael Bay is to the Transformers franchise what Joel Schumacher was to the Batman franchise. He's demonstrated the technology exists to put a Transformers movie on the screen, but I'll wait ten years for someone to come along and do something decent with it.

I just started playing War for Cybertron again. I didn't quite get to the end of the Decepticon campaign first time around and then stopped playing it so long I thought it best to start over. I'm still not very good at it, but it's enjoyable. I don't suppose there's a trailer for the new series out there somewhere, is there?
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »
Totally agree with you there Taith. As a TF fan, this film left a bad taste in my mouth. I may has well have watched all three episodes of 'The Ultimate Doom' from the original series back to back, as that was pretty much the plot.

A lot of characters were utterly underused, Ratchet criminally so. Also, who the hell is Dino and Q? Did he mean Mirage and Wheeljack by any chance?

As for two Primes, well, theres precident for that, especially in Dreamwave continuity, though not in current IDW.

I totally agree with the butchering of Prime's character. Wonder how much they had to pay Cullen to voice that. Was watching series 2 of G1 yesterday, an episode called Traitor. Look it up and you'll see the massive difference between Prime's personalities.

Also, what did they do with the Wreckers?! No Springer, no Kup, no Blurr! Rubbish.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »
I may has well have watched all three episodes of 'The Ultimate Doom' from the original series back to back, as that was pretty much the plot.

The number of elements from the G1 series surprised me too.

A lot of characters were utterly underused, Ratchet criminally so. Also, who the hell is Dino and Q? Did he mean Mirage and Wheeljack by any chance?

Mirage was in it? Good grief. I did kind of figured one of those guys was Wheeljack, mostly because I recognised his vehicle mode a few times, but if he's the one I thought he was, the face ... yeesh.

As for two Primes, well, theres precident for that, especially in Dreamwave continuity, though not in current IDW.

Do tell.

I totally agree with the butchering of Prime's character. Wonder how much they had to pay Cullen to voice that. Was watching series 2 of G1 yesterday, an episode called Traitor. Look it up and you'll see the massive difference between Prime's personalities.

Have a read of Cullen's wiki page to get an idea of how he imagined the character, and then square that with the Optimus of TF3.

Also, what did they do with the Wreckers?! No Springer, no Kup, no Blurr! Rubbish.

Just two hard bastards from Up North, wasn't it? You want bots brutally murdering other bots, that's what they're for. Or better yet, Grimlock, so you've got the tension between him and Optimus - not that it would have had much place in the story, mind you.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
I would have killed to have seen the Dinobots show up, or even Grimlock with some sort of car/truck mode.

As for two Primes, in Dreamwave's continuity, Prime was a rank, albiet a high one. Sentinel Prime showed up there, as well as Optimus. In the Transformers Animated series, Prime was also a rank, featuring Sentinel Prime, Optimus Prime and Longarm Prime.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 01:34:37 PM »
I can say this, I went into it knowing it was a Michael Bay movie.  Once you accept that and know that he just makes expensive explosions with no regards to back story, then you can enjoy his movies :)

Seriously, when the words michael bay are involved, switch off brain and sit back.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 02:57:10 PM »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:26:05 PM »
Can view or dl the whole series here:

http://www.icefilms.info/tv/series/3/2586

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 02:21:50 PM »
I can't believe I went to the cinema to see this garabge fool me once... but apparently Mr Bay has now fooled me several times, The move is almost plotless, 2.5 hours of action boredom, the majority of the transformers totally characterless and faceless, the film doesnt follow any kind of logic, apparently some transformers can withstand multiple missile batterys, explosives etc and others can be downed with a single tomahawk missile?? As per taiths comment optimus being the main example dissapears for unexplained periods just to come back at the end get whooped by that other prime but then its ok megatrons killed the other prime with one shot and then optimus can tickle megatron to death with one shot.

all the other decepticons are apprently just lying under the sand on cybertron (sand on cybertron like WTF!) wait6ing for a bridge, cos you know theres nothing better to do with infinite time than just lie around buried under sand.

So we have laserbeak but this time round no soundwave, lets just bang shockwave in there instead fuck it no one will know, its not like you'd even know what transformer he was apart from the single eye. and this whole thing about transformers turning intosomething lets not bother with that concept, lets allow them to change into whatever suits their need for that particular 10 minutes of the movie.

Lots of extedned shots of military folks basking their biceps in their sun while carrying guns and walking into frame, does Michael bay just change the title  and essentially make longer shitter versions of independance day for each movie.

Like Jon says though what was i expecting it is a Michael Bay movie, ive learned my lesson now, well at least till someone starts showing me clips of transformers 4.....

Awful Awful movie made all the worse / more annoying by michael bay convincing me to go to the cinema to watch it.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
I thought when they where under sand, that it was the moon they were on?

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
You people scare me...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
I think the takeaway here is that everyone who saw this movie was confused by it in different ways.

You people scare me...

If the quality of my work was so consistently bad as Bay's movies, I'd be fired.