Author Topic: Constantine goes probing  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Constantine goes probing
« on: November 28, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »
Constantine stepped into his shiny new Buzzard equipped to his very high and exacting standards.
Probe launcher loaded up with several varieties of probes he set off into the big black.

After a few systems produced no anomalous signatures he warped into Isikemi.

3 minutes 30 seconds later a positive hit came back

"unknown anomaly detected"  the multispectral probe having done its job was retired, and a course set for Isikemi 1, a few minutes  and some head scratching later all 7 planets were covered in a Gravimetric mesh.

3 minutes passed, the result came in "spectral anomaly detected". A positive hit. Warp drive was spun up and eagerly Constantine cloaked his ship and headed for the anomaly.

He soon learned a few lessons this night.

a) do not warp to 0 when flying to an anomaly

b) cloaks dont work within 2k of said anomaly

and c) lurking Guristas dont like you poking your nose in there business.

A quick retreat was on the cards.

Gingerly warping back in , this time avoiding the fire from the 3 missile and  railgun batteries, and sneaking past the awaiting pirates the anomaly was marked and the coordinates triangulated.

A quick dock and Constantine emerged in his  Kestrel, loaded for a fight he set out warping within his missile range to the deadspace base.

The initial batteries and few pirate resistance collapsed quickly, although they fought bravely. The last pirates demise signalled multiple warp signatures appearing, seems the Guristas had gotten off a distress call.

The 4 Cormorants and 2 Kestrels emerged in weapons range trained their 28 guns and 8 missile launchers in a dazzling salvo that ripped through Constantines shields giving him time to release only  a single missile salvo before a retreat was called for.

After the quick recharge,he decided to quickly try a different ploy warp in at 50 k and pick them off at max missile range, 2 Cormorants and 1 Kestrel went down before the alarm sirens rang out declaring armour damage had been taken, another retreat was on the cards.

This process was repeated once more cleaning out the final ships, only for more warp signatures to appear.

*targeting jammed* flashed the console

Constantine fought to regain control of his electronic systems whilst avoiding fire from the 3 Griffin and 4 Kestrels that had appeared.  Soon another retreat was called for but not before 2 of the Griffin had fallen to missile fire.

Surely these were the last the Guristas had in the area, one more push and then the clean up could commence.

Alas they werent!

A missile salvo ripped apart the last Kestrel multiple warp signatures were again detected. 6 Cormorants and 4 Kestrel appeared in fighting formation, shields failed, armour failed, Constantine warped out 15% left on his hull.

Thats it the big guns need brought out ,thought Constantine, a frigate isnt cut out for this fight (if only he had realised this after the first wave) he approached the local Ship Vendor and soon purchased an upgrade to his missile gunboat , a Caracal was his.

Stepping into the cockpit of his new weapon of death he was approached by the local Starship Licencing Board.

"Constantine Andromanche"

"yes thats me"

"it has come to our attention that you are not licenced to operate the Caracal class vessel, you must have Caldari Cruiser 2nd class rating to legally fly such a vessel"

" but , but , but"

" im afraid this vessel is impounded until you pass the necessary tests. good day"

"What the hell, im a covert op class 5 pilot why cant you bureaucratic buggers not realise im more than capable of flying that vessel"

"the rules are there for EVERYONE sir. Good day"

"Jobsworth arseholes" he mumbles under his breath.

Again he approached the vendor explained the situation and soon was the owner of an Osprey.

Of all the shit heaps in all the Galaxy the only heavier ship he was licenced to fly was a mining boat, the humility.

Loaded up with half his previous payload he set off once more to the Gurista base, shields held, missile barrage after missile barrage was swapped with the Guristas until none remained. Cautiously he stared at his scanners , no more signatures detected.

All that was left to do was clean up the area of any loot and salvage available.

Constantine learned a lot this night, he thought exploration in High Sec would be easier than it was, he learned Cloaks have limitations, most of all he learned Caldari  bureaucrats are sticklers for the rules.

Was it profitable, yes, somewhere in the region of 3-4 Million isk, it had however taken twice as long as it should have done with the proper gear.

Next excursion Constantine vowed to be properly equipped to deal with the pirate threat that lurks in deadspace.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:31:15 AM by Caradir »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Constantine goes probing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:12:40 AM »
Nice AAR :)  You wouldn't happen to need a side-kick to one of your such ventures?  ;D

This sounds like somethign I would like to get involved in too. Need to figure out what sort of skills and equipment is needed.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 06:24:50 AM »
Nice tale.  Be good to aid you in these - when you progress to low or even 0.0 space exploration :)

"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »
very cool story!  :D

I know I am gonna read the probing guide!    ;D

One question... How do you do this?
the anomaly was marked and the coordinates triangulated.
been wondering that before
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:13:17 AM »
It's been a while since I did exploration but essentially:

1) Launch a system probe to determine is there is something in the system
2) Launch smaller specific probes at each solar body to get it's approx location
3) Launch smaller probes to get a warp-to point

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
very cool story!  :D

I know I am gonna read the probing guide!    ;D

One question... How do you do this?
the anomaly was marked and the coordinates triangulated.
been wondering that before

if you look to the left of your hud youll see buttons for cargohold etc.

one is for scanner (every ship has basic scanning functions).

Although exploration involves dropping probes and eventually triangulating to anything that may be hidden in deadspace.

Dont worry guys, although the actual finding of sites is a solo venture (although if you have a cloak then you could come along for the ride), the actual sites themselves i will need help with on an equal share basis ofc ;)

The site i found last night im assuming was one of the "easier" ones and it challenged me, as described above, so i no doubt will be calling on various forms of help ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »
I explored one of the DED deadspaces this morning, they are available to everyone.
Unfortunately, the jump gate that brought me to 2nd instance only worked once, after that i lost the access key. So when I jumped back to repair and try a 2nd time, I couldnt enter 2nd instance anymore   :-\

I did earn 300k in bounties though...

again: here the link as to how to find DED deadspace: http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g65.asp
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Threadius necromanticus!

I took my first baby steps to exploration yesterday. Swuliina mounted a Heron and with her awesome skill of Astrometrics I she went exploring. After Juunigashi proved to not give any positive hits, I decided to go where basically no man ever goes: Kubinen.

As usual Kubinen was quiet. When I arrived, there was nobody else there. The peak of 10 people in the Local was reached at one point, but all in all very quiet.

Surfing to the sun I began to probe. After 510 seconds a positive hit! Yeeha! Then, after corp mates teached me how to find the solar system map ( ::) ) I placed more probes. After a few more 510 second cycles I had the Deadspace location pinpointed.

Swuul in his Harpy went through the gate. On the other side I met something big and red with a text "DEADLY! WANTED!" lobbing shells the size of ocean-goers at me. Crapping my pants I quickly warping out, and failed to notice the thingy didn't actually hit me.

fter a quick change of pants Red 7 joined with his HAC and we went through again. After that things went very smoothly. We killed a few waves of rats, went through the next gate, killed some more rats and that was it.

Apparently I should have something to hack some of things found (need to look up that) for Swuliina. I wan't at all sure what the heck I was supposed to do in the dead-space, but it was interesting nevertheless. The loot from the rats honestly did suck (100 small Lead ammo, 100 small tungsten ammo, a shield hardener) but the rewards were nice (I got in all about half a million ISK for Swuul and Swuliina combined, so I guess Red got some quarter million in all).

Next step is to improve the probing skills a bit, not to mention looking up this hacking thingy :)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:02:10 AM »
The things that you can hack look like jet-cans or GSC's in space.
You'll need Hacking skills and  and a "Codebreaker I" installed on your ship.
For archaeology you'll need the archeology skill and an "Analyser I" installed.

It's also a good idea to setup an overview to ensure the archaeology artifacts are being displayed :)

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865