Author Topic: PvP Moa  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
PvP Moa
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
I would again like some comments. I am planning to take this sort of a Moa for tonights alliance roam, unless there are some outburts of protests. I know it is pretty expensive with the rigs, but I am sort of willing to take the risk.

The design-philosophy

Range 5-20 km: With blasters the optimal range is well inside 3 km with my skills, and that is not a safe place to be in 0.0. Smaller railguns have piss-poor DPS (T2 ones have pretty good, but I can't fit T2 Medium railguns). 250mm railguns with antimatter ammo provides an optimal range of 20 km and nice DPS (even better with faction ammo, if I just happen to have any in store). Can't fit the 250mm guns without the rigs though, which could be a major pain.

Gank vs tank: While my main concern with this build was to have as good dps as possible, I want to have some change at living for a few seconds if under fire. 13k EHP isn't much, but perhaps it could be enough to live to another day.

E-war: Fitting in a target painter or warp disruptor sees the capacitor run dry very very fast. I can fit e-war drones though (any of the small ones), and I fitted in energy neutralisers as an example (mainly to be able to suck tacklers dry if that is needed).

Other: The last high-slot could have a small vampire or a small remote repper (not enough power grid to mount an assault missile launcher, not to mention medium vampire), so I decided to fit in a small remote hull-repper if that is needed after combat (can't really use during combat, as the range is pisspoor and the capacitor would run dry too fast).

Please, comments. Is it utter madness to take such a boat to a PvP roam? I know it is expensive, but I just *want* to use for once something that has a decent kick in it...

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: PvP Moa
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
i would go for 150s or 200s and drop the rigs...

you say you are willing to take the risk, but then the only 'good' thing that can happen to our fleet is that we only meet one (or none) pilot at once.
90% chance you will loose your ship.

dps is nice, but for a fleet, dps is in numbers. if you are the only one shooting 30 more dps will matter. If the total dps is 500 or so however, 30 dps more or less wont matter that much.
also, I'm not too enthusiastic about the rails, not if the rest of the fleet is shortrange, but that's up to the FC and you I guess...

also... I wouldnt invest too much in drones. if you want to check how they do, ok. otherwise, just go for dpsdrones
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
While the theoretical DPS of blasters is higher than railguns (railguns have about 75% of the DPS of the comparable blasters), common sense says that you have to be outside 5 km. So if having an optimal of 3km and optimal 6km, and firing guns at ~6km would mean about 75% of the shots hit. Now that means only 75% of the DPS is effective DPS. You could take the risk of smartbombs and get closer to improve the DPS. But in this particular case the FC said the range we fight from is 5-20km, and getting closer than 5km would be against that.

Now with railguns you have that same 75% all the time from much longer range. You can't get it better like you can with blasters, but on the other hand you can open fire from much longer range.

The drop of DPS when going from 250mm railguns to 150mm is about 50%. Perhaps others choose 50% less DPS too, but for me that does sound a weird reason to choose what weapons are selected. But true, perhaps the cost for the efficiency increase is just too steep. Have to consider that a bit more :)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
you forgot to mention the 200s :P

[edit]and tracking[/edit]
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »
Went with a boring 200mm fit then :p

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »
heh, hope it works out for you

have fun!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
Disgusting amount of fun to be had in this fit:

[Moa, t2moa]
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Y-S8 Hydrocarbon I Afterburners
Large Shield Extender II
Invulnerability Field II
Warp Scrambler II

Heavy Ion Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M
Small Nosferatu II

Medium Core Defence Field Extender I

Hobgoblin II x3

=======================

Stole the fit from Willl Adama who flies it in RVB, and its brilliant.

I soloed a (shitfit) Caracal and started on a well fit vexor this evening in it.  All the while said vexor was attacking me with blasters and drones, ruppie was artying me, another caracal was on me and a crow was zipping out tickling me.  My shields never got below 50% all during the fight. After the vexor went down (ninjad by a draek and a stabber) the rest disengaged and fucked off crying in local how we wont arrange a fight yet we'll land on them on the BHQ undock! 

Caracal: http://handsofjustice.co.uk/maadi3kb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1286  (mmmmm lolham fit - he was shooting at a stabber 55k+ away....)
Vexor: http://handsofjustice.co.uk/maadi3kb/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=1287 (actually fit right for that boat).

The fit doesnt have cap issues to be honest, puts out a shitload of dps, tanks like something bigger and more expensive and generally is a TARP for anyone who thinks "moa=ranged" ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:13:28 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
"moa=ranged" ;)
Bit preoccupied with sniperfits atm, as FLYBY is my FOTM.

This is a Moa fit that could fit in a flyby fleet quite well (skills @ V):

[Moa, snipe]
Reactor Control Unit II
Signal Amplifier II

Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution
Target Painter II
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range

250mm Railgun II, Spike M
Small Remote Armor Repair System II

Medium Targeting System Subcontroller I
Medium Particle Dispersion Projector I
Medium Particle Dispersion Projector I

Switch to shorter range ammo when mixfleeted with dessies @ same range.
Range 97+20, targeting range 140km, locks frigs in 3s. Alpha 417, dps 112.