Author Topic: A Wow Thread  (Read 56448 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: A Wow Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 05:05:54 AM »
Dunno really. Pandaren, High elves? Something not goblin wich is supposed to be kinda neutral or worgens wich seems to be kinda... evil?

Haha try slipping pandaren past China :)  Hell Blizz had to rework the unded especially for that market...
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 08:08:50 AM »
I refuse to get hyped up about this.

It does sound very cool, but it'll just suck me back in, burn up all my time, stress out my wife then leave me feeling burnt out and used.

No thanks.

Offline Thuggy

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »
Heh! This must have been the worst kept secret on the internet over the last 2 weeks! (That and the announcement of the PS3 Slim!)
It does all look very cool, fancy creating a Goblin Druid! Not sure if the mix of Class/Race combinations is a good idea though.

I suspect this will be put out at a similar time to SWTOR (Holiday season 2010)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
Heh! This must have been the worst kept secret on the internet over the last 2 weeks! (That and the announcement of the PS3 Slim!)
It does all look very cool, fancy creating a Goblin Druid! Not sure if the mix of Class/Race combinations is a good idea though.

I suspect this will be put out at a similar time to SWTOR (Holiday season 2010)

Rumor suggests prior to Blizzcon 2010.

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 08:21:07 AM »
Continuing my stroll down memory lane.  I left WAR behind me when my 60 day card ran out, Karak Azgal was being completely overrun in all tiers by the with the destro blob. So, I went out and got a 60 day card for.... yes WOW!! Its a funny thing but having two lifetime subs to LOTRO and CO means I don't play them as often.  The new brand of crack on the street corners of wow is "achievements" - yes I do need that extra fishing pool and yes I am will to spend the day hunting it down for 10 achievement points. Oddly enough the arsehat quotient seems to have gone down as well - apart from one who spent their time trying to get my mage to turn on PvP with accidental AoE (really why? go play a real PvP game if thats what you want).  So there we are - my names Jeremiah and I'm a wow-aholic.  I feel better already.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 08:44:59 AM »
I get the sudden urge to resub to WoW every now and then, spend the £8.99 required, then rapidly remember why I quit.

I suppose I'm just fed up to the gills with WoW.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
No wonder I've been the only one in HoJ WAR lately... Incidently, my gaming time runs out tonight, and I don't intend to buy more now.

Yesterday when I came to work, I stopped by at the supermarket nearby to buy something for lunch. Noticed there was sales bin in the game-corner. That "50% to -90% off!!!" sign grabbed my attention, so I went and checked what they have there.

Mostly garbage. Well, all of it was garbage actually. But they had Age of Conan 60 day play-time cards with 90% off. So I sort of bought one, cost me about 3 euros.

I haven't done anything with the time-card, still a bit bewildered I bought it, tbh... But it was so cheap  :-[

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »
I get the sudden urge to resub to WoW every now and then, spend the £8.99 required, then rapidly remember why I quit.

I made a few changes to my in-game situation and am now much happier with things.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
achievments get old fast i have finished with WOW for good now tried to get interest horde side got a char to lvl 50 then got bored again.

Offline Dehn

• MAADI
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »
achievments get old fast i have finished with WOW for good now tried to get interest horde side got a char to lvl 50 then got bored again.

Achievements are also such a "can't be away for a few months and you miss everything" :(

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »

I made a few changes to my in-game situation and am now much happier with things.

Its something I may consider Taith, now that they've implemented faction changes in the EU.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »
Well, if that strange aeon comes to pass and the stars come right and death dies and your characters rise from their tombs in that dark city beneath Azeroth's most southern oceans, drop me a line and I'll let you know where I can actually be found these days.

Achievements are there if you want to do them. If you actually like fishing, for example, it's nice to get little dings along the way. In instances it provides additional challenges by specifying a particular strategy you have to use on some boss fight. It allows for modes of character progression beyond simply getting the next tier of gear, which suits me well.

Like anything in WoW I take them in moderation. If I spent a day trying to get all the exploration achievements I'd get bored and then go nuts. The two people I know who have the Loremaster achievement, for doing a huge number of quests on all continents, like having it but vow never to do it on any of their alts.

I find the game still rewards a fairly casual attitude towards progressing through it and I avoid people who burn themselves up in the name of progression. I've discovered I can even spend an hour and a half trying to get through a three-phase boss fight no one in the raid has done before if the attitude of the people involved leans towards just having fun doing it.

What faction changes would you consider?

(I'm quite surprised to find a WoW thread on this forum. ::))
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
My names elv..er Ross.

and I'm a wowaholic..I must be at least 3 or 4 months clean these days though!

tbh I only ever thought wow was the best for the social side and that has become a case of ever decreasing returns with most of the people who played together being now spread across various games and forums...

might pick up expansions and play for a little but even that seems unlikely at the moment

Also I had a lot of time on my hands at various points when I was a wow player not really in the same situation anymore, so not got the time.

laters elv

where've you gone these days then taith packed your bag from aszune for good?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
We have a couple of wow threads, I aint too bitter about the game.  I had my time in the game, enjoyed it massively until I just didnt anymore - hell I somehow got a fair few of you folks to stick around in the game for a while with me having some good times and for me that was the best thing, the e-relationships we formed from all those nights of 5mans and raids and so on...

To be honest, if they removed achievements, made raids more open world (therefore having an aspect of pvp involved), added a proper death penalty/loot on players, added public dungeons, got rid of the room-tunnel-boss format they like for instances and gave back the higher needed exp (or the ability to STOP xp gain) for all levels (basically making the journey important as it once was), I'd look at it again as a 3rd or 4th mmo.

Polish wise its the best, storywise it sucks (lol spacegoats and whatever metzen pulls out of a hookers ass this patch etc etc etc) - lotro has it beat here. Pvp wise - meh Esports are dead in the west, someone tell blizz - eve beats it hand down...  But for an experience and for my first full on MMO where I actually got involved with people, it will and always will hold a place in my gaming memories.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:54:23 PM by Mangala »

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
I gotta agree with Taith's comments that the achievements can add a different dynamic to a 5 man run, especially when its something to work toward. Same with some of the mount collection achievements. It must be my inner Pokemon fan, but I quite enjoyed getting all the mounts needed for my Albino Drake. I like to set myself goals that are solo-able. Plus, I like tangible rewards for such things.

You never know, one day the perusers of this forum could reroll and start again on a brand new server somewhere. Reckon it'd be fun.

And Taith, was thinking 69 Alliance Gnome Mage to a Belf somewhere. Or even Orc Shammy to Draenei, as I've always wanted a high level blue dude.