The Lounge > General Gaming

Warhammer TT Balancing

(1/4) > >>

Torgal:
Didn't take us long to get here did it? Sweeping balance changes, some people happy, some people pissed off. I see the cycle repeating many times in the future - buff/nerf/rebuff.

So I'm sat here musing to myself on a long friday afternoon : the TT game is very popular, and since there are many different races / armies for the players to make use of, how do they fare with balance issues? I know nothing about the game so am to all intents and purposes a layman. It seems that there's quite a lot of variables involved, so many units to build armies out of. I'm assuming different units have different stats etc etc, I'll also guess that GW make tweaks to game mechanics with their updated source books etc.

Are there issues of balance which cause such backlash as we've seen here in WAR and many times in WoW?
Are there FOTM races / units? Is there a BW of TT gaming, something that a disproportionate number of players make use of due to it's strength / coolness?

I know that TT gaming goes back way (way) before even GW started doing it and they probably have a solid base of balancing theory to draw from. MMORPGs are relatively a young 'genre' in this respect, and as such it's probably harder to find that sweet spot where true balance is acheived (if it even exists).

Caradir:
repost after reading again ;)

i know from playing 40K (long time ago) that GW do this now and again, new sales of rulebooks etc, nobody can say they dont like making money.

i still remember (3rd ed??) 40k when space marines were unstoppable :) as that was my army i loved it.

although i do still own the original Rogue Trader book which is nothing like the current iteration of said rules. Change happens , live with it, moaning inevitably gets you nowhere its wasted energy . there are many more constructive ways to get you point across, thats what i say :)

Torgal:

--- Quote from: Caradir on November 07, 2008, 01:38:00 PM ---Change happens , live with it, moaning inevitably gets you nowhere its wasted energy . there are many more constructive ways to get you point across, thats what i say :)

--- End quote ---

I certainly agree with you, I feel somewhat the same way about pointless speculation which is another favourite pastime of online RPG forum goers. Just want to be clear that I'm not trying to have a moan with this post, was just briefly interested in this aspect of WAR's big sister game.

Caradir:
yeah my comments were a generalisation of what seems to go on in every single forum these days, people dont seem to accept change as being an inevitable part of life, change with it or get stuck in the quagmire , trust me i knows ;)

Jarkko:
Seen 25 years of Warhammer TT has made me to come to the conclusion, that each new edition is more and more balanced (and simplified :P). Anybody remember the killer regiment of Dwarf Daemonslayer + 3 Dragonslayers + 11 Trollslayers from 1st edition? Front rank was Daemonslayer + 3 Dragonslayers + 1 Trollslayer -> all incoming damage was taken from troll-slayers (which used to be practically free in point back in those times) as there was at least one rank&file trooper in 1st rank :P Meanwhile the Daemon and Dragonslayers put out 17 strength 6 attacks, which resulted in practically automatical rout (Daemonslayer with Weaponskill 7 and Dragonslayer WS 6), which in return allowed the slayers to use one round of free-hack (those 17 attacks again, except each was a guaranteed hit now), and if that was enough to totally destroy the opponent regiment, you could "press on" the attack and charge at a nearby hostile regiment and a new comat begun; I was able in one epic fight to destroy four hostile regiments in one turn (and would have continued to kill more, but sadly my opponent said something along the lines of "fuck this" and picked his minis and left :( ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version