Author Topic: Red wine and determined stupidity  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Pashur

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Red wine and determined stupidity
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:44:01 PM »
A couple of months ago I was raiding in WoW and for a change I had red wine to go along with the mayhem. As you all know beer is the preferred drink, but anyway, this evening it was red wine.
Of course I spilled some on my nice G15 keyboard. However, I quickly fetched a hairdryer so while raiding, the keyboard was still working, I tried to dry the keyboard with the hairdryer.
Engrossed as I can be I paid little attention to the hairdryer and after a while I had melted quite a few of the G15 buttons. Guess what, that was the end of that keyboard.
Conclusion, do not drink wine while playing. Beer is much safer. I have never had a problem with beer.
I am Swedish and prefer a Swedish keyboard. However I live in Belgium and I frequently need to use different keyboards, azertys, us, uk and even german keyboards.
So one day some weeks ago I said fuck this, I will learn to type without looking and use whatever keyboard layout I want. In this determined mode I went and bought Das Keyboard Ultimate. So now after a week using it I feel like my forum avatar.
I will not give in, yet, but you want see me chatting a lot in game ;). If I say woeihf djylais or something similar it means I am in a scenario and evil things are trying to kill me.
On the positive side, nobody is trying to use my computer anymore.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: Red wine and determined stupidity
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:44:08 PM »
I know exactly where you are coming from.
Im currently on keyboard number 3 (and mouse number 2) of the year so far.

Keyboard number 1 died as a result of an argument with No:2 son (aged 22 months). I had placed it on the floor whilst cleaning my desk and he decided to use it as a spring board in an attempt to jump over my back. 500 piece keyboard puzzle anyone?

Keyboard number 2 kicked the bucket after an unfortunate incident involving a mug of coffee, a chocolate hobnob and being distracted by a certain female kicking ass in tombraider on TV. Biscuit dunked in coffee whilst watching lara - dunked in to far and fingers went in as well- hand pulled out quick before fingers blistered- hand catches lip of mug - mug tips over & keyboard drowns.

Number 3 has so far lasted 6 weeks and counting so im hopefull it will make it to xmas at least.

As for the mouse.....umm well lets just say in a fight a microsoft optical wheel mouse loses against a dyson upright hoover every time  ::)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:32:00 PM by Macrune »
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
I think it's best to wipe whatever you spill and just leave it to dry on the side and underneath of the keys. There are many things lurking underneath my keyboard keys...

Don't give up on DAS. Many years ago I tried using a pen tablet for the first time and it sucked amazingly. Tried it again for work a few months ago and now it's the best thing ever.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »
Number 3 has so far lasted 6 weeks and counting so im hopefully it will make it to xmas at least.

I guess that depends on when the Tomb Raider movies are next on TV.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 06:26:28 AM »
I destroy keyboards regularily. Usually with beer, sometimes with tea or coffee too. This year however I am only at keyboard #2, so maybe I am finally strating to grow up to be a responsible adult.

Anyway, I buy a €10 keyboards to be a spare. When I destroy the current, I plug in the replacement, and go tomorrow and buy a new back-up keyboard. As we have here at home seven desktop computers (and a couple laptops), the others too sometimes need replacement parts, so it is IMO good to have spare-parts around.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 07:21:38 AM »
. As we have here at home seven desktop computers (and a couple laptops

7 desktops and 2 laptops  :o

Good grief. Sounds like your lot breed like rabbits...    ;D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:49:53 AM »
. As we have here at home seven desktop computers (and a couple laptops

7 desktops and 2 laptops  :o

Good grief. Sounds like your lot breed like rabbits...    ;D
I have four kids and one wife :)  We all have our own computers. I am a hamster by nature, so all sorts of old computers and machines end up in my garage from friends and relatives.

The smaller kids have old steam-powered machines (good enough to run old Moomin games, Paint programs and such), so its not like the machines are exactly state of the art. However, I feel the ability to use computers is the modern day equivalent of readin and writing, thus I want my kids to know how to use computers. Personally I can't understand parents who think it is ok the kids watch TV for hours each day but scream in agony when their kid would like to actively do something (you can't just passively stare the computer, you *have* to do something with your hands and brain). And, believe it or not, when they each have a computer, there is much less fuss about the thing. We have rules regarding computers (as well as watching TV, eating candy etc), and computers are a natural part of our lives.

Then I have one computer in the garage (actually I have spare parts for more than one there, but as not even I can figure out a good enough reason to have them up and running, they are just being there in case I need to cannibalise them for something) which is acting as a Dom3 host-machine atm. The laptops are for me and my wife, so that we actually can work when needed, plus they are great for the kids in the car on longer trips.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:05:39 AM »
Hmm, this is like... my 2nd keyboard and 3rd mouse in... 10 years?
Replaced the keyboard because i didnt feel like cleaning the first anymore.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166