Author Topic: Tech 3  (Read 22913 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Tech 3
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 10:47:38 AM »
The implemented Industry changes they mentioned were Contract "Store" fronts for corps and things like that.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46:51 PM »
Cool.

I've been looking through the skill trees in an attempt to get one or two of my chars lined up for wormholes and Tech 3 related things.
So far my main thinking is around improving hacking, archaeology, Yan Jung Tech (and the related one) and Jump Drive/Portals.  The latter just in case but after watching the Fanfest vids again and reading the forums - the mention of modules needed for wormholes (in addition to the new scanners) - better to cover the bases.

Any other ideas?

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »
Friend of mine was wondering if there would also be T3 learning skills. Might prepare for that too.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 11:51:59 AM »
It looks like there will be a bunch of new skills coming - although I read something interesting the other day about how CCP would remove the learning skills if they could find a way that wouldn't piss off the player-base.
There's recently been some suggestions for boosters relating to learning - although I doubt it would happen.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
It looks like there will be a bunch of new skills coming - although I read something interesting the other day about how CCP would remove the learning skills if they could find a way that wouldn't piss off the player-base.
There's recently been some suggestions for boosters relating to learning - although I doubt it would happen.

Why would it piss anyone off???
Removing them would mean the initial experience would improve, no more learning "useless" skills, which in turn should mean more people and more people means more market, more combat and so on.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 01:12:59 PM »
Existing players that have already trained all the skills up would have wasted around approx 60d training to reach level 4 on the advanced and level 5 on the basic.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »
Existing players that have already trained all the skills up would have wasted around approx 60d training to reach level 4 on the advanced and level 5 on the basic.
Give them the skillpoints in other areas... should be simple enough but i'm not sure.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »
Aye - I think that's the mechanic that's giving CCP some headaches - although I'd love to spend the extra 2-3m SP's in other places.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »
Aye - I think that's the mechanic that's giving CCP some headaches - although I'd love to spend the extra 2-3m SP's in other places.

IMO as a neewb :) and also looking at it from a corporate view.
Subscriptions=profits
Trials without subscription=waste and potential lost profit
All guides basically state "in the first month you train nothing but learning skills which make you learn faster". It drives people away thus losing ccp money.
Remove it and "oldtimers" will complain true, but will they leave the game? I doubt it.
So from a pure financial view it makes sense to remove the learning skills which in all honesty doesn't bring much to the game experience.

But as I said, I don't know how technically it should be done.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »
Suggestions at FF from the dev panel when asked this at various round tables and presentations included the following two ideas which caused some long discussions between fans on site over the days of FF:

Credit of the skill points people had invested into learning (I'd favour this, say goodbye to AWU V or somesuch :D);

Removal of learners and replacement with additions to your attributes instead (Many favour this, as it negates the learning grind, but not the affects of getting them to high levels);

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »
I'd like:
Max out everybodies learning - both standard and advanced - to lvl 5. The end result is boosted attributes and the optimal rate of learning. 
Credit those with the SP spent on the learning skills to spend on other skills.  Rather than complete levels - it would factor in those with half trained levels.

Then everybody would be in the same boat with regard to learning speed.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
I'd like:
Max out everybodies learning - both standard and advanced - to lvl 5. The end result is boosted attributes and the optimal rate of learning. 
Credit those with the SP spent on the learning skills to spend on other skills.  Rather than complete levels - it would factor in those with half trained levels.

Then everybody would be in the same boat with regard to learning speed.

Yes, something like that would be the best option.

Have a feeling that ccp originally didn't intend the learning skills to be "mandatory" so to speak. If they had they would probably have raised the stats by that much to start with.

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 12:38:43 AM »
I have 5 or so characters that I've got Learning skills upto the SOCT IV standard. On two of them, it's 5's across the board. That's about ~150 days each on 2 of my characters, and 60ish on 4 of them. In terms of opportunity cost them, this adds up to approximately 20M SP of training ( 2x 5.5M, 3 x 3M).

They should issue this as 'training credit' - rather like the plex cards, and allow it to be traded on the market. Each one consumed credits that many training points to the current character. Do them in units of 1000, and allow overspill (i.e. if you over-credit HAC III, it spills over to HACIV). There will be a finite amount of these in circulations, and as they effectively represent lost time, they will be traded like mad.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 12:43:37 AM »
That they would and it could be possible.
I have seen the suggestions of migrating SP over chars.

I doubt it would happen - they were hoping the plex cards would drive down the cost of GTC's - but so far it's only served to increase the cost of them.
The prevalence of "Greed is good" is too ripe in eve at the mo.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 01:40:53 PM »
The 2nd of todays new chronicles has hints about wormholes in it.  Looks like the build up to M10 has started now.  Would love it if this went the way the Faction Warfare reslease did - massive build up then a stunning day of storyline based updates while they got the patch released :)