Author Topic: New NPC AI: W-Space  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
New NPC AI: W-Space
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
From dev comments (here: http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=917074&page=18#517):

Originally by: libertarian coleThis whole thread makes me depressed....
    The way I see it is NPCs in their current form create the middle class of EVE. Yeah sure some people can make a killing off of moon mining, scams, market alts, or running a corporation; but NPCs allow the average joe type
    player to make a decent living. You will give players experience at PvP that they will then be unable to participate in because of the new costs in PvE.

As I stated above, the loot rewards are being balanced to the new difficulty. Also you seem to be ignoring the statement that these new AI are only going to be on wormhole NPC's.

So brand new NPC's with new AI. This isn't changing the amount of isk a mission runner gets from doing missions.

So I don't see where your fear is coming from. If and I stress IF we deploy this to the rest of NPC then of course the rewards would be balanced against the diffaculty so the Average "The Plumber" Joe won't see a significant change in the amount of isk/ time reward.

Yes with the new AI there may be only 2 ships in the spawn, but it might take you 20 min to kill them. But you would get the same reward as if you spent 20 min killing 15 ships.

I hope this resolves some of your fears.

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: New NPC AI: W-Space
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
Cool :) more challange means more fun :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:34:43 PM »
yey npcs that are actually difficult without resorting to taking a frig on lvl 3s just for lols.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
yey npcs that are actually difficult without resorting to taking an assault frig on lvl 4s just for lols.

:)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
The Sleeper has Awakened

We have been observing the current strength scale between players and NPCs with watchful eyes for quite some time now. More often than not, PvE interactions in EVE are quite limited, merely consisting of watching the NPC explode after a few volleys. We are not satisfied with that. We want to offer our players true PvE challenge, requiring real team effort and proper gang coordination. We want to give players satisfaction when finally overcoming these PvE situations and reaping the rewards. And of course we want to achieve all of this while giving you the most enjoyment out of it.

That is why for Apocrypha, we are unleashing an ancient race into the universe: the infamous Sleepers, lurking throughout the vast unknowns stretching at the other side of the Wormhole maws. Do not underestimate them, as they will remain radically different from the regular pirate factions you are used to. More often than not, they will give you some substiantial bang for your buck and will require player gang coordination and effort to be dispatched. More details are left for another Dev Blog, but at the moment, know they have comparable player attributes and thus require variations of PvP fits to engage.

Why shoot them? Because they will guard and yield the very components needed for Tech3 ship production. There will be more details on this in future blogs.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=620

Latest blog.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »
So Sleeper Technology is at least one skill that should be looked at...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:01:58 PM »
Aye - there is 1 skillbook currently available via contracts for 250m

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »
Wouldn't be too quick in buying one of those skillbooks to be honest.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:24:18 PM »
yeah i is a thinking if sleeper tech is gonna be used more will be seeded.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:30 PM »
Not so sure - Gas Cloud harvesting is still fairly rare I think

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 06:27:42 AM »
From (the little) I've picked up sleepers are currently in minmatar COSMOS (whatever that is...) which means there is a significant difference between the different areas in what people have learned. Meaning sleeper tech, yan-jung tech etc.
I would think that these Sleepers while related to the remnants COSMOS will be different enough to not require that particular tech but another "wh-sleeper" tech.