Author Topic: End of the World on 10/09/08  (Read 6292 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
End of the World on 10/09/08
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »
AS cern turn on the Large Hadron Collider on 10th Sept some are predicting the end of the world.

I just think its cool that they are going to recreate the big bang :) mini blackholes etc

but who knows the doomsayers may be right and earth will implode so take those holidays get a drink and enjoy what could be the last day for the human race :)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: End of the World on 10/09/08
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Wont be up to speed for another 45+days after that, so we have time.

Although just turning it on may be a bad thing :D

Drinks on garry!!!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »
I'm confused.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »
I'm confused.

At Cern is the LARGE HADRON COLLIDER.

The stuff they wish to do with it is very very theoretical, and well Garry suggested one possible outcome in his post...

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
basically they are going to smash particles together at high speeds to see what new particles are created so they can gain a better idea of life the universe and everything.

someone tell them 42 will make it easier ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:51:52 PM »
Maybe the particles have the question though?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
no please those damn physicists will probably call it deep thought (sure thats what the computer built to solve the query of what is the question)

mind you that beats the names of the sub-atomic particles, top , bottom, gluon etc

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »
Oh it's located at the Swiss border... who needs the Swiss ey?  ;D
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Gorphin

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 04:10:16 AM »
looks like its been canceled for a year, something broke in the collector.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 08:03:13 AM »
I thought they actually did the big test, but it broke down after that?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »
they were in the process of getting it up to "speed" to start doing the serious experiments when they melted the huge electromagnets that accelerate the particles. :) made me laugh

Offline Malt

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
From what I understand, the magnets are cooled down to 4 Kelvin, and it takes about a month to warm them up, before fixing them and then a month or so to cool it again.

The reason it is cancelled for longer is that due to the amount of electricity the LHC uses they have a choice of powering either it or the city of Geneva during the winter!!

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »
Now that's funny.