Author Topic: Taith's Grand Space Adventure  (Read 15240 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Taith's Grand Space Adventure
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
so 90 M sps make a bitter vet?

your not there yet Jon then are you? :P
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
I think he was born and raised there.  :D
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:35 PM »
so 90 M sps make a bitter vet?

your not there yet Jon then are you? :P

77ish

I would have been there had the first couple of years of my training not consisted of "oooo shiny" + a few months no training break early on :S

"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
"Mining ops?" he said, after a brief read of the Eve recruitment forum. He had time to kill while on a brief mining jaunt in Akianavas.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »
"Mining ops?" he said, after a brief read of the Eve recruitment forum. He had time to kill while on a brief mining jaunt in Akianavas.

youve not played eve until you take part in a 23 hour mining op ;) or even better an ICE mining op ahhhh the things i would never do again.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 07:11:20 AM »
Sounds familiar.

Sent using Android Mind Bullets

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »
So a mining op is what it sounds like? A whole corporation worth of people in hulks warp out and pillage an asteroid field until it's gone?

What do they do with all that ore?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
So a mining op is what it sounds like? A whole corporation worth of people in hulks warp out and pillage an asteroid field until it's gone?

What do they do with all that ore?

Basically yes.  Can be anything from 5 guys in mining vessels to many many more, and you move from belt to belt stripping a system is doable with enough people. 

As to what is done with the ore, refine it into minerals, build ships, modules, sell it (depending on market conditions), but corps that do ops usually use it to make stuff rather than sell - as selling items is more profitable in the long term.

CEO of RVB buys minerals by the frieghter load as he builds a fuck ton of ships for rvbs members on a regular basis.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »
Maybe I need to become part of that supply chain. ;D

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
Maybe I need to become part of that supply chain. ;D

seriously though i probably made my first few hundred million mining, its slow going until you get a hulk, but then you need an alt for haulage ;)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
I agree with you about the slow going. I sell a single haul of ore for what seems like a very small sum.

Good to know it can pay off though. I'm still getting a feel for the game and I haven't started looking into goals and how to achieve them. I'll look into what to do with all these pretty rocks I'm collecting soon.

I'm still tooting around in my little frigates while I do the starter tutorials, but someone gave me a destroyer-class ship. A Cormorant, I think? I have a vague plan to outfit it for mining. Sound practical?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
I agree with you about the slow going. I sell a single haul of ore for what seems like a very small sum.

Good to know it can pay off though. I'm still getting a feel for the game and I haven't started looking into goals and how to achieve them. I'll look into what to do with all these pretty rocks I'm collecting soon.

I'm still tooting around in my little frigates while I do the starter tutorials, but someone gave me a destroyer-class ship. A Cormorant, I think? I have a vague plan to outfit it for mining. Sound practical?

not the fastest ship for mining but with extended holds can hold a decent amount (i usually use destroyers as my salvaging ships for that reason)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
I figured it would do as an interim ship while I built up the skills and funds necessary for a mining barge.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »
able to fly a cruiser yet?
might be nice in-between solution to fly the caldari mining cruiser: http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Osprey
unless you want to dedicate your char to mining, I would not train to a mining barge if you can avoid it - there are other ways to make money...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
mining does get extremely boring quickly

mission running is lucrative, just not at first.

gouging the market is also good. I used to put in purchase orders for things (i only dealt with ships costing 20M plus) id put in buy orders at 10% of market price in hopes that people got confused with number of 0's (not sure if its as easy to do that now) and resell at 80 -90% current market, sometimes id even take 2 0's of and get it at 1% on very expensive items. Made my way to 2B that way. That was more a waiting game yet more lucrative when it paid off, i got some fantastic ships doing that, faction battleships etc.