Author Topic: 50 years since 1st man in space  (Read 7889 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
50 years since 1st man in space
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
Yuri Gagarin made history on 12 April 1961 when he circled the Earth in 108 minutes in his Vostok capsule.

50 years on and we've been to the Moon and watched Voyager leave the solar system.

And done fuck all else of worth in my opinion. Who cares about looking at the black bits of space, or what the sun is made of and all those robotic shit they send up.  Who cares if the general population of space capable nations balk at the costs inherent in space programs , they'll benefit more in the long run from the technologies that are developed along the way - from health improvements to even the eventual importing of materiel from outside our orbit.  

Then of course there is the "omg people die", yeah so what - people die everyday. Ask 10 astronauts how much they are willing to risk to go to Mars, go back to the Moon or whatever and they'll be willing to risk alot just to be those guys.

/ramble off.  Basically Im hugely disappointed in the lack of NOW in space programs and all the surrounding bullshit.  Throwing away a chance to firmly plant ourselves and say "HERE WE ARE YOU FUCKERS".

But yeah, 50 years ago today a man orbited the Earth for the first time.

ps. I'll be the same in 8 years when its 50 years since the Moon landings.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:45:28 AM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: 50 years since 1st man in space
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to first contact with an alien species. I have difficulty believing that there's anything like a 'Sorry, universe ends here' sign somewhere, so there must be some type of intelligent life somewhere out there. Some anthromorphs would be nice, preferably of the fluffy variety. Kilrathi females would be interesting. Deadly, but interesting.

I share your opinion on our progress. But what concerns me more is that with all the space exploration we've done so far and advancements in the area of technology, we still can't make decent cling film. Seriously, what's up with that?
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Although would truly suck if the first alien we met went by the name Xenu.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »
And now we may as well lay to rest a functioning space program as Atlantis makes the last journey of the Shuttle program:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-14077893

Yes, there are such things as the MPCV coming up, but thats just a throw back to the tech that got us to the Shuttle in the first place (Throwing stuff at the top of a rocket, then letting it fall back down), for now though I personally consider manned space exploration dead.

You know I'm actually pretty emo about this. ( I dont care for telescopes and robot missions, and neither do many astronaut types - who kinda want to face risks and stuff otherwise why want to go up there in the first place).

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:24 AM »
I just hope they will realize we have to go into space properly again. But people are idiots and can't take the long view :(

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
The only good thing that came out of the cold war was the space missions, now no one cares. Soon we will need somewhere else to live as we are fucking up our blue marble.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »
As long as it doesnt affect me drinking cider from now until the deay fo my death, then I can honestly say...i dont give a fuck what happens to earth.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
As long as it doesnt affect me drinking cider from now until the deay fo my death, then I can honestly say...i dont give a fuck what happens to earth.

"Ciiideerrr my Loveeer"

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »
The only good thing that came out of the cold war was the space missions, now no one cares. Soon we will need somewhere else to live as we are fucking up our blue marble.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

That coming from YOU?????
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
Mars surface created by water

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14408928

Re water on Mars: Yeah, aquifers bursting when asteroids impact the sruface will do that.  For example large parts of Chrysae Planitia, Kasei Valles (and the other Valles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_valles_on_Mars) - especially the Valles Marineris (the largest canyon system in the solar system) as well as several of the large Chasmata are all water carved - and by water I mean trillions of gallons of water suddenly erupting (usually when something goes BOOM on a fracture point) from below the surface and running - well nowhere in the end. Eventually subliming into the atmosphere and creating the possibly water rich north pole (its in a depression so its likely - unlike the south pole which is postulated to be mainly CO2 ice) or being pulled underground to form new aquifers, rinse and repeat this over 4 billion years and you get the surface of Mars as it stands.  

The theory about it being briny could work, more postulation has the surface of mars being salty at varying levels, along with other chemicals - its chemical makeup could give us soil thats not earth like at all, needing alot of terraforming work across the board as well as genetic work on everything we'd expect to live there for a good few generations (human generations).

Mars-hounds knew this all along, however I do admit these images (which are something else, something newish) and everything from the surveyor missions/google mars totally make me moist (no pun intended).  Just a shame that Man wont go there for a long time and wont have the stones to live their long term for even longer.
* Mangala wanders off to see if K S Robinson's Mars Trilogy is on Kindle...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:37:10 PM by Mangala »

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »
(So yeah, discovered TED)

Found out that nobody needs to go into space. There are still quite some discoveries to make on our measly little planet...

http://www.ted.com/talks/janine_benyus_shares_nature_s_designs.html
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »
(So yeah, discovered TED)

Found out that nobody needs to go into space. There are still quite some discoveries to make on our measly little planet...

http://www.ted.com/talks/janine_benyus_shares_nature_s_designs.html

but in space everyone wears tight outfits, and no one is fat.
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.