Author Topic: 319am sucks  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
319am sucks
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:21:39 AM »
I mean it seriously.  been awake nearly 20hrs so far and I cant seem to get to sleep.  Nothing happens at this time of day anywhere, my small group of rl mates are all being irritating too - not answering texts or calls to see if they are awake - so I dont think they are :(

I have the internet to keep me company and thats pretty much it today

And this keyboard now has far too many keys - lucky i am backspacing over my typos, otherwise this post would all be 1 letter to the left.

lord help me sleep!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: 319am sucks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:59:37 AM »
5am sucks more - but i got a little pew pew. had to go all the way to bloody molden heath for it, but yay for hanging about in stupid number of channels.  Give me fricking killmails for kills im inolved on :(

stupid ccp.

even worse stupid people i went up there with, not having public kb's, better hope the victims show up on battleclinic eventually :(

Vengeance is a great little AF - I need t2 small laser skills though to really make it worth it, which im 60minutes (30mins each variant to 1)away from when I get round to it :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:33:48 AM by Mangala »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 04:22:06 AM »
Watched the sun come up.

Boring.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 04:29:14 AM »
Watcing Lost in Translation. I may fall asleep during it - I usually do now Ive seen it stupid silly times.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:01:33 AM »
3.19 am .   hmm what was i doing at that time.   ahh i know , I was standing in the middle of the high street in Brentwood, Essex conducting a scene examination of a fatal road accident that occured about 30 minutes prior.

I have now just walked into my house having finished a 12 hr shift.  If you were bored you should have txt me. Im working nights all weekend  ::)
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »
There's this 'organic' drug sold in pharmacies here called Valdispert. Both a colleague at work and the gf have used it and it works rather well.
Other options are wearing yourself out in the evenings by exercising or something. Just like when we were little.

I count goats. ^_^
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:01:52 PM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 08:37:30 AM »
Safreud says:

How can I help myself?

Making simple changes to your lifestyle and bedtime routine is the basis of "sleep hygiene", one of the main strategies employed by sleep disorder clinics. You won't need to do all of the following recommendations, just start with those you think would be most helpful. If they don't help, try others. Persevere and you should find what works for you.

* Create a sleep sanctuary
      Keep your bedroom for sleep and sex only, not for working, eating, telephoning or watching television. Your room should be quiet, dark and warm, but not too hot – a temperature of around 18°C (65°F) is most conducive to restful sleep. Hang heavy curtains if you are disturbed by light. Soft ear plugs can block out noise.
    * Buy a good bed
      You spend about a third of your life in bed so make sure yours is comfortable. A good bed should support your back while allowing your spine to settle into its natural slight "S" shape when you lie flat. It should also be less than ten years old. A French survey reported that even chronic poor sleepers slept better and for almost an hour longer in a new bed compared with one that was ten years old.
    * Change your diet
      The basic rules of healthy eating form the foundations of a sound sleep diet. So go for fresh wholefoods, plenty of vegetables and regular light meals. Timing is also important: eat your evening meal at least two hours before bedtime. If you get the munchies later at night have a lettuce, banana, or peanut butter sandwich, or a bowl of cereal. All of these contain the amino acid tryptophan which helps your body produce the sleep hormone melatonin. A warm milky drink has a similar effect or try a relaxing herbal tea such as camomile or lime flower.
    * Avoid stimulants
      Cut out or cut down on all stimulants such as cigarettes, alcohol, food additives, junk food and caffeinated drinks. If you have mild insomnia avoid coffee after 2 pm – if it's serious don't drink it at all. Reduce your intake slowly as sudden withdrawal may temporarily worsen your sleep. A cigarette at bedtime is even worse than a cup of coffee. Even in heavy smokers a late-night cigarette can delay sleep by 30–40 minutes.
      Alcohol and sleep
    * Get active
      Two things guaranteed to send you to sleep are physical tiredness and monotony. Exercise can deliver both. Regular gentle exercise such as a swim, walk or one of the soft martial arts can help you get to sleep quickly and sleep more deeply when practised early in the day. Regular exercise also makes you feel good, and can prevent snoring and sleep apnoea by improving breathing, toning slack muscles and reducing body weight.
    * Ease the pressure
      Keep your mind and body as relaxed as possible throughout the day. Give yourself time to do what you need to do, and learn to say no to unrealistic demands. Talk through problems with a friend, colleague or your partner. Make time to have some fun in your life and learn to relax. You may simply need some "quiet time" each day, or you could practise a relaxation technique such as meditation. One research study showed insomniacs who combined meditation with sleep hygiene techniques fell asleep 77% faster than previously.
    * Establish a pre-sleep routine
      Only someone who was exhausted or suffered from narcolepsy would fall asleep without some sort of preparation. Make a cut-off point between day and evening at least an hour before bedtime. If you find it hard to switch off, write down what's on your mind, then forget about it. Go for a stroll, read something unrelated to work and/or have a bath. Warm water is relaxing and it raises body temperature so that you feel sleepy. Add 6–8 drops of an essential oil such as lavender, camomile or sandalwood for extra sedative effects.
    * Reinforce your body clock
      If you only change one thing about your lifestyle, make it this one: go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning. This helps to regulate your circadian rhythm, the internal biological clock that governs your sleep/wake cycles. Aim to go to bed before midnight to maximise the deep sleep that occurs early in the night and get up early every morning, even if you've had a late night. Research has shown that shifting your sleep pattern by only three hours – say, going to bed at 1 am rather than 10 pm – can cause poor daytime mood and performance, even if you get eight hours' sleep.
    * Try a sleep remedy
      Herbs such as valerian, hops, passiflora, oats or kava can make safe and effective sleep remedies. Products vary in safety, quality and potency, so treat all remedies, even natural ones, with care, and only take them for as long as you need to. Antihistamine-based over-the-counter sleeping pills are also useful, non-addictive, short-term remedies.

Daytime napping is not recommended as it disrupts your natural sleep pattern. However, there are exceptions to this rule:

* Powernaps, quick 10–15-minute snoozes, can make those short of sleep more alert if they nap about eight hours after waking in the morning (during the afternoon sleepy period). Taking a nap 10–12 hours after waking is likely to disturb night-time sleep.
    * For shift-workers, long-distance lorry drivers and parents of young babies, frequent naps may be the only way to get any sleep. Nap only until you can get back to a regular routine. Regular hours of sleeping and waking are the best way to ensure that you get the sleep you need.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:52:46 AM »
was up till 3 a.m myself friday night-saturday morning can never sleep when its hot and sticky.

im paying for it now feel like a zombie.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
What helps rather well for me when I have trouble getting to sleep (I never have trouble sleeping, once I'm asleep I usually stay asleep) is simply taking one paracetamol or aspirin or something (usually paracetamol, since that's what I usually have in stock). I'm not exactly sure how it works, but apparently the "pain killing" ingredient stimulates your body to create chemicals like it produces when you're falling asleep. For me, it usually succeeds in giving me the final nudge. O well, perhaps it'll help you next time. ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »
was up till 3 a.m myself friday night-saturday morning can never sleep when its hot and sticky.

Was freezing here, so I know it wasnt the heat - had some short nights this past week cos of it though.

As for the zombie part, Ive had a couple of hours sleep, a good walk to the newsagent and am prepping breakfast.  Hoping i'll wear myself out by teatime and just sleep till tomorrow (I have work stuff to prep).

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:12:34 AM »
I like how after 3am all absurd crazy stuff seems only too likely.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »

Was freezing here, so I know it wasnt the heat - had some short nights this past week cos of it though.

As for the zombie part, Ive had a couple of hours sleep, a good walk to the newsagent and am prepping breakfast.  Hoping i'll wear myself out by teatime and just sleep till tomorrow (I have work stuff to prep).

although it had rained where i am it didnt clear the air and was still hot and sticky was tossing and turning till 3 then i just fell into unconciousness. :)

sometimes if im on my pc too much that can cause me not to be able to get to sleep also

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:11:33 AM »
Got an hour yesterday afternoon.

Tried to get some sleep in the evening - didnt work.  No feel like shit as I got a few hours lastnight, but not a full night :(