Author Topic: Business plan thoughts and discussion  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Business plan thoughts and discussion
« on: December 04, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »
WE NEED A DIRECTION !!

and i need sleep

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:04:56 AM by Caradir »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
Re: Business plan thoughts and discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »
OK we have stepped in to the universe that is Eve. We are members of Ma'adim Logistics.

1) What should be our main direction(s)? and how should we go about it?

2) What do we need to achieve these aims?

3) What roles can you fill /want to fill ?

4)Initially the corp may need donations of ores/minerals etc to get its "fighting fund" together, what would you class as reasonable expectations of members in this start up phase?

ill add further things as discussion advances/ new thoughts arrive.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:52:36 PM »
1) I believe a "finger in every pie" approach would suit us, as it allows us all to do what we like as well as working together towards the bigger picture. So Mining always needs to be a strong area in a corp. Strong Mining leads to Manufacturing (decide what we can produce to maximise profits) Mission runners are important for raising corp standings in a given area. People running R&D agents gives us access to Datacores for use in Invention procedures.

2) From my viewpoint and the roles i can bring, id need a reliable research base /manufacturing platform. Minerals, datacores BPOs (of whatever we decide to aim at, Supplies of probes for exploration duties. Friends to help me clear up those sweet sites (if i ever find any ;)  )

3) Constantine is an explorer, he has decent manufacturing and research abilities (which im currently making stronger), During Mining Ops he is a Hauler in hid Badger II.

4)Now Eve is all about the mighty ISK so im not  saying give anything for nothing. Id propose selling ores (as Thera has perfect refines and would maximize returns) at 50 -75% market value to corp. This allows the corp to A) sell minerals for profits to add to purse, B) sell some and stockpile for the future (the corp only needs to break even on purchases from members).  Id say we could easily donate those unwanted Modules (they breakdown with the proper skills into nice minerals) to the corp, or again maybe agree on a discounted price which to sell to corp for.   A 100% tax weekend where your ammos/crystals etc are paid for by corp but any bounties/ minerals mined go straight to corp purse (all this requires is a time donation from its members)  more ramblings to come.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »
Which corporation(s) would be advisable for me to build up standing with to benefit our corp? So far I've built I've ran missions for Caldari Navy and Spacelane Patrol.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:07:20 PM »
Which corporation(s) would be advisable for me to build up standing with to benefit our corp? So far I've built I've ran missions for Caldari Navy and Spacelane Patrol.

For the aim of our own POS in Hisec - any caldari croporation would be good (of which the tow you mention are prime examples) - if we wanted one elsewhere we'd have to relocate fully and start a corp wide standings grind there instead...
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:27:01 AM »
1) I believe a "finger in every pie" approach would suit us, as it allows us all to do what we like as well as working together towards the bigger picture. So Mining always needs to be a strong area in a corp. Strong Mining leads to Manufacturing (decide what we can produce to maximise profits) Mission runners are important for raising corp standings in a given area. People running R&D agents gives us access to Datacores for use in Invention procedures.

2) From my viewpoint and the roles i can bring, id need a reliable research base /manufacturing platform. Minerals, datacores BPOs (of whatever we decide to aim at, Supplies of probes for exploration duties. Friends to help me clear up those sweet sites (if i ever find any ;)  )

3) Constantine is an explorer, he has decent manufacturing and research abilities (which im currently making stronger), During Mining Ops he is a Hauler in hid Badger II.

4)Now Eve is all about the mighty ISK so im not  saying give anything for nothing. Id propose selling ores (as Thera has perfect refines and would maximize returns) at 50 -75% market value to corp. This allows the corp to A) sell minerals for profits to add to purse, B) sell some and stockpile for the future (the corp only needs to break even on purchases from members).  Id say we could easily donate those unwanted Modules (they breakdown with the proper skills into nice minerals) to the corp, or again maybe agree on a discounted price which to sell to corp for.   A 100% tax weekend where your ammos/crystals etc are paid for by corp but any bounties/ minerals mined go straight to corp purse (all this requires is a time donation from its members)  more ramblings to come.

I understood how everything you said here works and how to do it up as far as '1)'  then you lost me.
sorry guys but you are going to have to be patient with me. Ive not got a clue on any of that as yet and ive only even ventured into about 5 systems on my weee destroyer.
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »
Well Mac, don't worry, cause you are only a week or so behind on some of us. You'll get by...
Just get to know the game a bit and you'll understand more of how moneymaking/corps works. I read a guide (http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/mn06.asp) every other day or so and it helps a lot!
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »
Mac, I understood about as much :)  But I've decided I'll focus on one thing at a time, else it's easy to just be overwhelmed. At the moment I am figuring out Exploration, and I think I am starting to get the hang of the thing (I think you were online yesterday when I stumbled on my first Anomaly and then after that into the Deadspace pocket (which sadly somebody had apparently cleared already, as there was nobody there, despite the fact that I got warnings of the drones getting tougher by each pocket I advanced inside)).

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »
Ok, some random preliminary thoughts:
  • What makes a corp succesful?
Assets, system control, unique know-how in blueprints, the ability to bully others around. Anything I missed?

• Assuming I'm on the money with the above, power (to bully) comes with money, unique know-how comes with money, system control needs POSs which cost a lot of money, so it all boils down to assets for a startup-corp.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Which is the quickest way to collect wads of cash for a startup corp?
I'm thinking mining, which requires relatively few resources to start with, about 1 month worth of training to get into a good mining-ship, and I'm assuming about as much to fly haulers.
Protection would be the biggest issue, since the real treasure floats around in 0.0.

• Money by itself is worthless, so our biggest decision would be which direction to take after we collected a good amount by our mining operations.
Expanding on what we know could be good at this point, so investing in better logistics would be good. I'm guessing our own lowsec(?) station would be a good goal here (shorten the supply route) would be an eventual goal, but until then we may be able to buy a processing slot at another corporation's POS?

• Some options after this:
Go into refining/industry, use the funds to expand our "protection" division and basically turn into a merc/piracy corp (fun!) :D, use the assets for even more blueprints than Beo aleady has in his hangar and become R&D focused ... though my gut feeling says R&Ding doesn't really require a corporation beyond supplying the blueprints (again, correct me if I'm wrong...)

Then again, I may be a completely misguided noob here making these assumptions. ???
Flame away! :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:13:52 AM by Gunnarr »
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 11:46:51 AM »
    * What makes a corp succesful?

Assets, system control, unique know-how in blueprints, the ability to bully others around. Anything I missed?
maybe...
- effort
- focus
- good logistics

but mebbe im too much on the details here...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »
Ah sorry, I probably worded that badly. What I meant was: What does a corp have to achieve to be considered "succesful"? :)
I was just trying to pinpoint a goal. :) Good logistics, and working toward it in an efficient and mission-focused way will probably contribute greatly to achieving these goal(s).
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 11:53:16 AM »
Wouldn't initially, before the skills are good enough, salvging be the fastest way to make money? That is the impression I have got from various newbie guides. Running Level 1 missions at least is quite a money-flood: 150k from mission reward, ~150k from bounties, ~100k from loot (double that if the mission is to kill rogue drones), ~400k from salvage (double that if the mission is to kill rogue drones).

I have alrady spent some 60 million ISK the past week, half from that from Vac. With that I have acquired skill books so that I should be ok far to next spring, and some gear (altough nothing which would make me cry when I eventually succeed to blow myself up), and despite that I still have a balance of ~12 million ISK IIRC. I seriously doubt mining would have been as profitable with the crappy skills and gear I'd have for that :)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 11:57:15 AM »
Possibly :)
But you don't really need a corp for salvaging, do you?  ;D
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
Possibly :)
But you don't really need a corp for salvaging, do you?  ;D
No, but you need money for a corp :)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »
Don't forget also that the parts you salvage can be used to make rigs..
Which can be used in corp or sold on..

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865