Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (KOTOR MMO)  (Read 28352 times)

Offline Thuggy

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic (KOTOR MMO)
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »
Might be worth reading this...

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/preview/star-wars-the-old-republic-hands-on/a-2009070610215182000/g-20081021163120143024

Gamesradar have had a hands-on with the game. Have to say, I am looking forward to this.

As I said over on the THF Forums - I like the idea that this game is going to be story driven, its not going to appeal to MMO players who are just in it for the "Phat Loot"

Gief!

Offline Thuggy

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »
id imagine Jedi can heal buff etc as that really goes with the lore, where as sith would use more damaging abilities, chokes, lightning whilst both can look after themselves with a saber, mind you they could use a skill tree system i suppose but meh i guess its a wait and see.

Not sure, I think it will be based on the class you go with rather than "faction" If you read the Gamesradar preview, and what has been always the plan its your actions that decides if you go Sith or Jedi, its not a direct choice when starting the game. And thats what I love about this game!

Offline Thuggy

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »
And finally, I loved the original KOTOR games - how can this fail?!!   ;)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2009, 11:32:51 AM »
Story is always good, be it player created ala EVE, or the wonder that is Lotro, or the Star Wars universe as Bioware sees it (As long as Lucas isnt let near it, although he has been quoted as saying that he doesnt care what people do in his universe as long as they dont fuck with the bits his precious movies cover... :D).

Thanks for the link, good read :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
As I said over on the THF Forums - I like the idea that this game is going to be story driven, its not going to appeal to MMO players who are just in it for the "Phat Loot"

I grinned when I read that bit. I wonder if they've also made sure you don't need a bleeding-edge gaming rig, as Blizzard did with WoW? The two points go well together.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
think the devs have said they want it to run on as many rig combo's as possible. :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2009, 07:33:51 AM »
think the devs have said they want it to run on as many rig combo's as possible. :)

Good.  I'd like to be able to run on my lappy and my various rigs, just depending on what Im doing at the time.

Ive begun to wonder since reading the article about what they want for pvp (glossed over in the article I know), Im hoping for "logon and you consent to pvp", rather than battlegrounds and arena style bullshit, which is just shitty watered down pvp. And tbh I dont think in the context of an actual universe at war you would have limited zones for pvp, more of a chance of it anywhere. Oh and let me loot their stuff please.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2009, 07:37:44 AM »
Hmm. I agree somewhat, as long as there's definite "teams".
Nothing as annoying as an "AoC" system where a random other player from your own team can decide they don't like you and ambush you while fighting a mob.
At least open-world wow-pvp gave you a chance to spot that enemy rogue before he stealthed.....
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2009, 07:48:48 AM »
Jedi v Sith (and both sides hangers on), with an actual sense of us vs them, rather than what wow gave (we and them are very similar, but we fight anyway, then along came tbc and we are bestest friends now). WAR sort of managed it, but not quite...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2009, 07:54:05 AM »
One thing that strikes me though:

And all this takes place in the name of fun. BioWare want their first MMO to be as full of life, character and story as their single-player RPGs. “We have to ignore the top of the hardcore,” says Walton, talking about those players who will simply ignore the story and min-max their way to the top end of the game. “We need to make a game that is accessible to the Star Wars fan, and the BioWare fan. Because really BioWare is a company that is about making a great RPG experience, not about making games for a hardcore MMO audience.”

This is all well and good; and I enjoy a good story-based game just like the next guy. But I'm concerned at the longevity of a game based heavily on these principles. Players can chew through story based content in days for what takes developers years to actually create.

Say what you want, but min-maxing is what retains subscriptions. Even to the most casual players - look at people with large numbers of alts in wow/lotro etc, eventually you learn the best way to do stuff to get to cap faster. Hopefully Bioware isn't completely arrogant with their success in story-based games that they'll completely ignore why people play MMO's for years on end.

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2009, 08:04:56 AM »
the longevity will be somewhat extended as with each alt the story will be differnet choices and conclusions etc where as the reality with wow is you do the exact same lore on every alt to get to 80 pretty much. I am also hoping they give us a nice big universe to adventure round :)

I cant wait for this one dare i quote them and say its a wow killer :P

laters elv

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:57 AM »
That's true - at least having players play through a completely different story on all characters will give them enough time to get an endgame (or a mini-expansion with more story x6(?)) in place....
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
Ok, getting really excited for this now.

CoH to CO to SW:TOR ;D

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
whats CO?

how are u managing to kid yourself that coh is a good game admit it, the game is clunky, crap and comparable to some of the worse games on my c64.

laters elv
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:58:54 AM by elv »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2009, 12:17:39 PM »
Champions Online ;)

and its getting better after every patch
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)