Author Topic: Devblog: Problems & Solutions  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Devblog: Problems & Solutions
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
I am labelling this number one only because there may be more some day. I cannot think that I will write of any other problem tomorrow, as tomorrow I will begin working on solutions to the problem put forth in this little blog.

We have a problem. We have this glorious epic storyline that takes you throughout Eriador but requires you, at various points, to find others to assist you. This is all well and good when you are a newer game and the majority of the populace is roughly the same level and progressing at roughly the same rate. However, when you are 2+ years removed from launch and looking at the trends and notice that more and more players are abandoning that rich - focal - part of your narrative game, then there is a problem.

First and foremost we are a game driven by story. Your place in that story. How you deal with elements of that story and interact with the story. Our epic is clearly one of the most important facets of our game. Now, few people are continuing on with it post Volume 1, Book 1 and this means that we have a problem that needs a solution.

The Solution? Moments of inspiration. These are the moments when your character digs deep into their reserves and finds something more. Whether this is drawn from the people around them or from their own sense of purpose these are the moments inspiring greatness.

Starting with Volume 1, Book 2 - completely revamped and restructured in the upcoming release on December 1st, the Epic Book series will be getting treatment to identify key moments in your character’s life. These types of moments will allow your character to don the mantle or heroism and fight against far greater odds.

Inspired Greatness does the following for a player:

Increases morale and power significantly, increases in-combat and out-of-combat morale and power regeneration, increases damage output from melee, ranged and tactical sources, increases healing output for all healing skills.

Through this we will be able address the problem highlighted above and apply the solution to all the Books comprising Volume 1 of the story of The Lord of the Rings Online.

http://my.lotro.com/orion/2009/11/04/problems-and-solutions-1/

Rage & none rage:  http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=300689
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
Re: Devblog: Problems & Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
saw this and thought that i may actually be able to see the rest of book 1 on my toons ;)

trying to get a group to do the book stuff is impossible.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »
saw this and thought that i may actually be able to see the rest of book 1 on my toons ;)

trying to get a group to do the book stuff is impossible.

if only they hadnt changed exp gain and "streamlined" questing ;)

Overall I sort of like the idea in the OP though - but ONLY for Epic quests, the rest of the game is okish if annoying - the way it is.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »
One of the really big bummers for me have been the difficulty at advancing the epic story. So damn difficult to find groups to do the harder quests. With burglar many things can be soloed, but only once the story is going grey already.

It sucks to not be able to advance the story properly, especially for somebody like me who like good stories. If this change helps to solve that issue, then I for one applaud.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:56:15 PM »
Agreed with the above sentiments. Kurtt has yet to do Book 1, I'm still on the Trollshaws bit, even though I'm well past it level-wise.

A welcomed change in my book.