Author Topic: Wormholes...  (Read 10297 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Wormholes...
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:28:05 PM »
smartbombs :) OMG

im liking them already

*runs off and checks calendar to see how long until M10*
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Sinedia

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 07:16:02 AM »
About the belts thingie...

Quote from: CCP Chronotis
In normal space, celestial belts will stay as they are now and nothing is changing there with Apocrypha. In wormhole space, all the belts are hidden and will need to be scanned down.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »

In normal space, celestial belts will stay as they are now and nothing is changing there with Apocrypha. In wormhole space, all the belts are hidden and will need to be scanned down.

Thats not too bad then :)

(I really need to learn scanning before m10 it seems hehe)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 08:05:56 AM »
Time to learn sentrie drones me thinks :)

They wont get too close to be hit by smarties.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »
???

'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »

Thats not too bad then :)

(I really need to learn scanning before m10 it seems hehe)

if roid belts are to be found as currently with exploration, it is a severe problem. becouse you cant count on one beeing there and you dont know what will be in it.

if it is just the act of scanning to find them than it is no major problem.

than again, i thought i read somewhere on a defblog that you would need stuff out of both "worlds" so not every mineral etc could be found in w-space.
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Sinedia

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
i thought i read somewhere on a defblog that you would need stuff out of both "worlds" so not every mineral etc could be found in w-space.

I read that too indeed

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 12:29:25 PM »
They want to move all belts to exploration in the near future (so all mining will require exploration).
The implementation in W-Space is to test that principle.

With the probes not working properly it's hard to look for them at the moment on SISI - but I'll take a look and see what 'roids I can find.

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »
Was thinking, might be that i read that ICE couldnt be found in W-space making it harder to maintain a pos in w-space becouse of fueling (when (not if) a wormhole collapses (how long do they stay) you might not be able to find the POS when you are in Normal space (those wormholes not appearing at the same space etc)
former roommate.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
Aye.  Logistics can be complicated - but it's best to check this thread (http://handsofjustice.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=654.0) as many of the issues have been discussed and it'll be easier for you to read what's been discussed so far.

Essentially W-Space has depth - shallower systems are more likely to have connections to K-Space; whereas deeper W-Space systems are more likely not to have any connection to K-Space.

While there is a ton still to be done to gather enough knowledge of what deep & shallow means - we do have some information that the maths guys can chew on:
1) There are 49% more systems (around 2500)
2) 1/3 K-Space systems will have at least 1 WH
3) Systems in W-Space will have at least 1 WH
4) Some WH's in K-Space connect to other areas of K-Space

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »
I've read it, and a lot has been discussed, but seems like a lot of guesswork in the end.

I for one have no idea how Wspace exately works. specially with the moving wormholes and travel between systems in Wspace.

So is it possible to find your way back if you loose access to the wormhole while in Normal space.

Also there is no solid information about player competition in Wspace. If security works like in 0.0 it might be pretty hard to keep a pos online in Wspace, becouse there wont be concorde or anything stopping an alliance from popping a POS in w-space.

And it neednt even be a big alliance who decides to do that. The losses for the corp would be huge. I am not claiming to know a lot about setting up a pos. i do know they arnt that hard to destroy for even a decent sized alliance.

Also you noted in the topic that logistics would be a problem. followed by some short term solutions. But flying 10-20 jumps through camped gates/wormholes might be a bit too much for your average transport. And you will need to do that with an empty and a full transport.

Supplylines are the most important and need to be kept intact if you are in Wspace. Also becouse what you manufacture in Wspace needs to be sold in Normal space. SInce there arnt any hubs in Wspace.

All in all i'd say it would be one big logistical nightmare if you set up the station in Wspace and it would be more logical to operate from normal space.
former roommate.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 01:54:41 PM »
There are various ways to setup a POS - the "toughest" setup is very tough and requires significant firepower to destroy.
The mass allowence of WH's means that while you can bring in Dreads to seige a POS - moving them between systems (due to their mass) isn't that simple.
While you might be able to bring one dread into a system - the WH will likely collapse behind them - so amassing many will be a challenge.

You can take down a POS with BS's depending on how it's fit - so the balance in setting up the POS guns is dealing with what you consider the main threat to be.
Additionally - to take down a POS requires first that you take out it's sheilds and put it into reinforced mode - and then come back when it's out of reinforced to destroy it.  The time it stays in reinforced depends on the amount of stront (an ice product) is in the POS. When a POS comes out of reinforced - it can also be repped using shield transfer ships - allowing friendlies to bring the shields up.  Attackers would then have to repeat the above cycle.

There is a lot of guesswork - until very recently W-Space wasn't open on SISI - so the only info we had to work with was the dev posts and the slim supply of dev blogs on the subject.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
IT may be very hard, but gets a lot easier when you cant get to a certain position quickly

if the wormhole displaces to unfriendly territory logistics would be in their advantage. (Getting ammo and ships into the vicinitty of the station)
former roommate.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
Aye - but it works both ways.  Bringing in enough to attack the POS would probably close the WH - in which case their logistics would also be cut off.
Any WH going back to K-Space might also drop them into unfriendly space :)

Additionally taking the POS into reinforced without using Dreads would result in losses on their side of a limited fleet.  Which means that should they encounter resistance when they attempt to take out the POS - is likely to lead to heavy, if not, total loss on their side.  Whereas we have the protection of the POS shields :)

It doesn't take much to setup a decent POS, guns, some EW and hardeners and they'll have a hard time taking it down.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »
Just had this thought - Im so roaming in W-Space endlessly now. I trained amarr didnt I ;)

Who needs ammo now :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."