Author Topic: What other MMO's have you played?  (Read 24870 times)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: What other MMO's have you played?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »
Compared to the others in this thread, my experiences are very limited.

For me it began with WoW. Back in February 2005 Dehn announced on a strat-game forum he has begun to play WoW, asking if anybody else have. Eventually I bought it too, and I seem to have registered my game on 5th of March in 2005.

With my short attention span and tendency of losing interest (until it suddenly bursts back) in tasks I regard dull, I did during "classic" game play on several different servers (Alliance on PvP server Deatwhing from where we transfered to Tarren Mill, Horde on PvP servers Sunstrider and later on Dentarg, RPing on Argent Dawn). I got in all two hunters and a warlock to 60, plus a few toons to 40-50 range.

With TBC I noticed how Gorillas got screwed as hunter pets, so I basically stopped playing them, altough I did get my horde hunter to 66 before I realised it is a no go with a Gorilla pet. Why play a hunter if you can't properly use your Gorilla? Instead I leveled up the warlock to 70, and also a druid and rogue to 70, plus a paladin to IIRC 64 (and a plethora of other toons to around 50). During my last couple months in WoW I didn't level much about anything, only joined for PvP sessions and played my RP toons on AD.

I thought I would be super interested in WotLK. I did follow the beta intensively. But somehow the burn is not there anymore. I don't like the PvP in WoW. I don't like how warlocks got nerfed. I don't like the fact that Gorillas are now the "Gorilladins" and every hunter apparently are running with one (goddammit, Gorillas are *my* pets, seen on all servers over the past years only *twice* some othe hunter using gorillas, and now everybody have them :( ).

I've played LOTRO on and off. I did like a lot how the game was playing until about level 20 or so, then it suddenly lost much of its shine. I got a burglar to ~30 and the other classes to various levels between 12-20. What I did like in LOTRO was the MPvP concept, and I spent most of my time in LOTRO in the MPvP area on my spider. I guess it takes a very special sort of person to dig themselves down a hole and sit there for minutes waiting for an un-suspecting "freep" to wander by, but I did love it. I could do that for hours on, running the game in windowed mode and reading forums or chatting in IRC while my Lukki was waiting for prey (or, as it often ended up, running back to the hunting ground after the prey had refused to be prey and became the hunter instead :p).

Possibly the reason why I got eventually bored with LOTRO was the fact that I seemed to always end playing alone. There always seemed to be too many burglars around to get to do instance runs, and all my guild-mates seemed to level so much faster (as I was spending so much time in MPvP), and in MPvP I happened to fall in love with a class that is at its best when hunting alone (altough I did love to take part in the keep fights after the server-reset every week).

Been playin Anarchy Online as a froob quite a bit. Again, I like the starter areas, but the importance of grinding gear to have any chance to be successfull in PvP is quite frustrating. Instead I end up rolling new characters every now and then and play them until I get bored to death.

I became a beta-tester for Age of Conan last year, and it was pretty clear for me from the start the game was in serious time-schedule problems. The launch date was pushed back, but it was still launched way too early. Yet I did buy the game, in the hopes that the money would allow FunCom to make AoC the superb game it has the potential for, but sadly that seems to not happen. Still, I am not sad for the ~40 euro spent on the game, Tortage is by far the most excellent starting area I have seen in any game: Good stories, marvelous music, very thematic. I played Tortage through with all arche-types and leveled a Tempest to IIRC 42, seeing the first "proper" instance etc. I indend to re-activate my AoC account eventually.

I became a beta tester for WAR last February. Spent a lot of my time doing quests on my witch-hunter, trying all the possible professions etc. For PvP I joined with my DoK (early on) and Ironbreaker (for the T4 battles later on). I like the PvP system a lot. I like the general "maturity" of the players on Order side (have you tried Destro on live? I have, and it reminds me soooo much of how WoW is on Alliance side...), where people in general co-operate for a common goal. I also like the poeple and the spirit in HoJ a lot :)

I've been a tester for for a couple months for another MMO game. Can't tell much about it because of the NDA, but it is very different from what I have played so far.

Other than MMO's I am strategy-game geek. I play only MP games, and only *real* strategy games (so don't come and tell me about your experiences with "Total War" series or "Red Alert" or whatever those are told; if you do I shall just snort in your general direction). Which is odd, because the games need heavy thinking, and usually I am quite light in that department. Then again, I like to be in the company of smart people, it makes me too feel a bit smarter (and when I don't open my mouth, others might believe I am quite smart too!) :)

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
Tortage really was excellent. I appreciated how the experience was the same, but different for each of the archetypes - slightly differing storylines that still wound up in the same overall thread of the storyline. Shame the rest of the game couldn't hold up to that promise, as soon as you cleared that area you were back to hunting boar asses for faceless npcs.

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
Why play a hunter if you can't properly use your Gorilla?

This question should be a Zen meditation aid, like "What's the sound of one hand clapping?" and "If a tree falls in the forest etc"
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »
Bump for our newer forum members to see and post if they wish :)

(Note my post refers to me barely playing eve - that has obviously changed :D)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 06:49:10 AM »
Bump for our newer forum members to see and post if they wish :)

(Note my post refers to me barely playing eve - that has obviously changed :D)

Hmm my post doesnt even mention EvE.  Which is kind of strange as i now have four accounts  :P and if i could justify it and if my poor old PC could take the strain of running more than 4 clients on two 22" screens at 1600 x 900 with everything maxed  :o then i probably would play even more  ::).
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Darkstirm

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
ok - just to res this topic  ;)

My first MMO was playing the US servers on CoH.  Had a great time playing a gravity/kinetics controller and to this day I keep popping back to this game - only thing is that I'm now on the Euro servers. I still think it has the best WHAM POW feel to it in group play. Plus I think the sidekick system should be made compulsory for any MMO - it's ideal for very casual players who struggle to stay in line (level wise) with people they like grouping with.

Next was WoW. That was fun, especially during the HoJ glory days. But the disintegration of the guild still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth and I've never found that sense of fun since. I've quit a few times and I don't think I'll be back.

LoTRO has grabbed me again - i think it's the world and the storyline aspect of it. Plus the Loremaster is a nice non-button-bashing class to play (I think). Plus I got it running on the Mac!

Tried RFOnline (grindorama), D&D Online (WHAT a disspointment) and also subbed to WAR. I like the game and love the Warrior Priest class but I've been suffering from Billy No-mates syndrome so haven't logged on for a while. I'm sitting on the fence about whether I'm going to continue. My sub runs out in May.

And I'm trying Eve again. I love large space opera type SciFi (Polity books by Neal Asher is a good example) and I think Eve grabs that feel a bit.

So here I am - a couple of hours a week to play and three games I want to play.... sigh

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
<3 DS :)

Say hi in EVE, drop by  Red Mars Open and we'll drag you into our other channel to answer your questions.

In WAR, we arent really there, I'll be recreating the guild this week on Karak Azgal just so we dont lose the ranks and bonuses after all the work we put in.

In Lotro - Garry's in The Last Aliance as I rarely crop up there in the guild there, but when I do I love it :D (uhm I may visit my alts this evening....)

Offline Gorphin

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
Started off in MUD2, for about 6 months on dialup, then moved to Diskworld still on dialup for about 2 years, then WoW on the american servers for about 3 months when I got my broadband, then WoW on the european servers Aszune, Argent Dawn, Wildhammer, my brother plays on Wildhammer as he travels all over the world with his job seeing him on WoW is sometimes the only times when I see him for a couple of months. Then Eve for a couple of months, stopped because I went into mining and salvaging, and kept getting followed around by this weird other player who used to park there mining ship in front of mine so I couldn't mine, tried to restart as another player but due to some bug couldn't so stopped. Then Lotro.
Still play wow and lotro, dont see anyone from the old hoj guilds in wow, according to a GM if they all have me on ignore and this new phase engine blizzard are using, then the ignore function means that the ignored can't see each other.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
i have seen you every now and again when your on gorphin (backdraft from hoj)

amulas does not play anymore
valismar is on a gap year travelling the world
fian is horde side i think
alaras hmmm other games most of the time i think
elviott horde side i think

a few have left the guild(synchronicity) to see more of endgame as the guild does not get the numbers it used to.

and i only log on now and  again on un-guilded alts till my game cards run out.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »
i have seen you every now and again when your on gorphin (backdraft from hoj)

amulas does not play anymore
valismar is on a gap year travelling the world
fian is horde side i think
alaras hmmm other games most of the time i think
elviott horde side i think

a few have left the guild(synchronicity) to see more of endgame as the guild does not get the numbers it used to.

and i only log on now and  again on un-guilded alts till my game cards run out.

Me and Yyan bunked off Horde side ages ago, though we're both not playing WoW currently.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 04:06:40 PM »
Me and Yyan bunked off Horde side ages ago, though we're both not playing WoW currently.

Ha! As I suspected.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 04:43:24 PM »

Ha! As I suspected.

Sorry old bean :P

Come say hi in CoH. I am enjoying swooshing about in a flashy cape.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »
Dan is really:

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
Surely there's a Stormtrooper outfit with a cape.

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
well as for me I have little MMO history to speak of i was dare i say it in such company...a  console gamer !!!

started playing wow a few months after uk release enjoyed many happy days in hoj and stayed in a few of its consequent guilds before switching hordeside, where I have enjoyed that too but like many others, ive had spells in and out of wow and am currently feeling its time for another out of wow spell as I am back to work again in 3 weeks (after 6 months off) noeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss......!!!!111!!!

i have tried coh and i like the concept (bit of a closet comics nerd), i found the game clunky and uncompareable to wow.

i tried guild wars for all of 10 seconds its pants.

I played lotro which i liked but it was mostly just a nice game it gave u no desire to keep playing and the instances were poo

played war which i quite enjoyed but the game was so buggy... and intensive on my machine for no apparent rerason that i got pisssed off with it.

and essentially i love playing mmos but feel all have failed to match up to wow which is a great shame (does anyone else think wow is vastly superior graphically, playability and even technically, or is this a myth induced by my drug addicted state to the game..)

I havent tried eve i fear it may be a step too far for the consoler inside me :P

hope to see u guys soon in a fun playable mmo!! heres hoping kotor lives up to expectations
im currently rocking street fighter 4 (how awesome that they kept it 2d and its all the same moves, just jazzed it up. Its like having the street fighter 2 arcade u always deramed of all those years ago.  Kicking ass online  xbox 360 if anyone wants a beating!

laters elv hadouken !!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:08:52 PM by elv »