Author Topic: HOI III  (Read 25736 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: HOI III
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
Only thing I can come up with (without more info) is that you stack too many units in one province, giving you lots of penalties. I tend to use stacks of 5-6ish units in the frontline and micromanage reinforce/retreat from/to province behind it.

Yes, theres mad stacking penalties if you bunch, try to spread across the front/envelope the enemy with flanking units to minimise the stacking.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »
i just read that with control right click you can support units.

but also my leadership collapses as soon as i touch the japanese and that sucks because than you just get beat back

and what i also noticed, i got rights to enter territory expecting i would keep supplies, but all units who had rights to pass trhough weren't supplied. Only when japan attacked were they supplied, but i suspect they already had some penalties at that time.

but up till now i win 1-2 battles and than get my ass kicked.....
....hard.
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »
also do you send HQ units with the battalions (thats what the smallest unit you can see on the map is called right)
and about stacking penalty (from the wiki)
General Skill

Leader skill at the theater level will be applied to reduce the co-ordination penalty for a given number of units. The co-ordination penalty is 1% for every division over 12 engaged in a battle. For example, a leader with a 5 skill level allows 17 divisions to be engaged in a battle without co-ordination penalty. 'Stacking penalty experiments'.

made me think i could send in 12 without a problem

but i am figuring its the little green bar next to the units thats causing the problem
former roommate.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
also do you send HQ units with the battalions (thats what the smallest unit you can see on the map is called right)
and about stacking penalty (from the wiki)
General Skill

Leader skill at the theater level will be applied to reduce the co-ordination penalty for a given number of units. The co-ordination penalty is 1% for every division over 12 engaged in a battle. For example, a leader with a 5 skill level allows 17 divisions to be engaged in a battle without co-ordination penalty. 'Stacking penalty experiments'.

made me think i could send in 12 without a problem

but i am figuring its the little green bar next to the units thats causing the problem

green bar is organization, decreases in battle and when you're being bombed. max organization is influence by officer ratio (read here)

I think the leaderskill you are mentioning is about how many divisioins a 3star HQ can handle.

the stacking penalty that I'm talking about is just too many divisions in one province. As described here

The following is extracted from a forum post by blu emu)[1]

Stacking penalties depend on the number of Divisions (not Regiments) involved in the battle, and on the number of directions of attack (attack vectors). Converging attacks... eg: attacking from several provinces into one enemy province, or defending a province against an attack from enemies in several provinces... allow a higher stacking limit and give a lower stacking penalty.

Units committed to the attack still count towards the stacking penalty, even if they are "in reserve" because there are too many of them to all fight at once on the given frontage. Units in a DEFENDING stack are always considered "committed to the battle", hence they all will count towards the stacking penalty.

frontage = 5 x ( #_of_attack_vectors + 1 )

eg: an attack from four provinces has a frontage of 5x(4+1)=25.

allowed units in a combat = integer ( frontage / unit width ) + 1

eg: a frontage of 25 (a four-province attack) with 3-width Divisions such as INFx3/ARTx1 allows room for integer(25/3)+1=9 Divisions to participate.

stacking limit = ( 3 x number_of_attack_vectors ) + 1

eg: attacking from four provinces into one allows (3x4)+1=13 Divisions in the attacking stack, without any stacking penalty. Note that four of them will be "in reserve", since there is only room (on a frontage of 25) for nine of them to attack at once... again, assuming that they are width-3.

stacking penalty = -100% x ( 1 - ( 0.9 to_the_power_of ( #_of_attacking_units - stacking_limit ))) + theatre_commander's_skill

eg: attacking with six 2-width units (such as INFx2/ARTx2) in a single-province attack (frontage=5x(1+1)=10) gives you a stacking limit of four Divisions ((3x1)+1=4), hence an over-stack of two Divisions and a stacking penalty of -19% less the theatre commander's skill... a skill-3 theatre commander would reduce the penalty from -19% to -16%.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
btw, when my combat ratio is low, I always try if retreating a unit makes the combat ratio go up. If it does, I retreat units one by one till ratio does not go up anymore. *too lazy for calculations*, then I micromanage retreat and reinforce to/from the 'shadowprovince'.

ofc, retreat units that are in reserve so it won't affect the actual combat (or retreat units that are in combat, but have low organization because they've been in battle for a while.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »
so did stacking less units help?

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
havent had time to try
former roommate.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »
so, prolly wont have gfx card tomorrow, so will have to postpone our HOI-date a bit

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
so, prolly wont have gfx card tomorrow, so will have to postpone our HOI-date a bit

Thats ok matey, gives me more time to plan.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:27 AM »

Thats ok matey, gives me more time to plan.

gives me more time to actually learn the game :D
former roommate.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »
Playing Turkey with noneutrality cheat, like this guy

It's now july '37 and this is my current empire  :D

Gonna grab Albania after this and then get some time to build up in peace. Or I might grab Czechoslovakia :)
Not really sure what direction to take after Albania really. I might also try to just attack Germany once it's dedicated it's forces to the west front. Or go southeast like that other guy did... Or take a piece of Poland before/once Germany attacks. Or...
Soooo many options!!  ;)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
Hahaaaa!! (manic laughter)
Captured Greece within a month with about 250 losses only!
Well placed naval landing and concentrated attack on other VP did the trick quite nicely  ;D

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »
February 38.
Who needs peace? Happily building away while grabbing every country that looks juicy and is an easy pick. After I captured Albania (without any losses btw), I landed a division near Athens, while the main body of my army moved in on the other VP of Greece. Athens fell pretty quickly and seemingly surprised by my attack (even though my threat was over 100 by then), all other units retreated. Before I could capture the VP however, the Greek army decided they would give me a fight anyway, but then it really was too late. Within 2 months and 250 casualties later Greece was mine.
I then moved on to try and capture Czechoslovakia. Although they did not have much troops at the border, I spotted a tank division, while I still fight without tanks (inf/arty and cav/armoured cars divisions). Looking at their VPs however, it might be possible to do a quick capture. Bratislava fell quickly to the units of the 3rd Corps, while 1st and 2nd Corps moved in on Prague. Pushing over the lightly defended fortresses, I reached the outskirts of Prague, which was heavily defended. The surroundings of the city however, were practically undefended, allowing me to set up my army all around the city. Then it was a matter of waiting, damage control by a fast cavalry division in the east (not allowing them to grab too much land/VPs), 3rd Corps holding a good portion of the Czech army, while 1st and 2nd fought the battle in Prague, while fending off attacks in their rears.
But yay! The glorious Turkish army was victorious! So now the Turkish Empire looks like this:

Taking a better look at Germany quick captures (like I did with all other countries) from the south is a no go. With national unity at over 90% and quite some VPs, spread out all over the country, it will be impossible to do a surprise blitz. It might be possible if my attack would allow France and Poland to capture VPs in the west and east, but I'm not counting on that. So I guess I will turn my attention to the southeast and get some more strength with the light tanks that are now researched and building.
Or try Italy? Hmm...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »
Get the oil, take Iraq and Persia and Saudi.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
December 1938. Took Persia, but Iraq is UK puppet, which means I have to declare war to UK. Then Allies kick in - France being the greatest threat from Jerusalem area.
I tried taking Iraq and then kisskissmakeup with UK et al., but then Iraq got all it's land back (they chose to fight on, so could not annex. So no progress there. Not yet strong enough to take on allies.

So not much else to take at this moment. Saudi Arabia could be an option, but then it will be isolated from the rest of my lands (Iraq being in the way). Plus UK guarantees independence of Saudis, so prolly war with them again. Afghanistan could be an option, but that is a looooong way from home, which really overstretches my defence (If I'd had one). Plus it'd make my border with Russia longer. Russia scares me.
Attacking Italy will mean war with Germany. Also my lol-plan to attack Germany in the back as soon as it attacks Poland will have Italy at my throat (or my back, rather). Could attack Poland, but then I'd be between Germany and Russia, and I don't want to be there at all.

So for now I'll build up my forces, research stuff and see what opportunities present themselves. And will prolly try the Germany backstab for lolz.