Author Topic: Star Trek XI New Teaser  (Read 15255 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Star Trek XI New Teaser
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1562587978?bctid=2541780001

Not a trek nerd, but this makes me want to watch the new movie when its done.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XI New Teaser
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:16:20 PM »
Good lord... it's Lucas Arts meets Michael Bay ft. the Gadgetinis. o_O
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »
i like to watch the trek movies myself but for me they are like the bond movies ok to watch once and i cant be bothered to repeat watch them.

also heard a net rumour (pinch of salt time ) shatner will be making a guest appearance oh dear.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
If the films as good as that teaser it could well be the best Start Trek movie ever (must stop thinking Sylar everytime i see spock :)  )
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
When the original idea was proposed a few years ago, I just shook my head. And now, I think I've watched that trailer six or seven times.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »
When the original idea was proposed a few years ago, I just shook my head. And now, I think I've watched that trailer six or seven times.

Same.  More so as the last couple of trek movies - anything after Generations - have been really dire.  I am so looking forward to XI now :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:58:56 AM »

Same.  More so as the last couple of trek movies - anything after Generations - have been really dire.  I am so looking forward to XI now :)

Say what now? First Contact was bad? *shakes head* Generations was... ok. Insurrection and Nemesis were not so good, yeah.

I think this looks like a good brain-turn-off sort of film. I'd still prefer they were doing a new series or somesuch moving forward rather than more Kirk wankery, but oh well.

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:44:37 AM »
tsk tsk, so many years from now and women still wear bras...   :-X

movie didnt have sound for me, so this silly remark is all i can think off.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 02:01:21 PM »
also heard a net rumour (pinch of salt time ) shatner will be making a guest appearance oh dear.

Far from it from what I've read. Shatner really wanted to be in it but Abrams told him to piss off. Somthing which has divided trekkies I believe but if they are positioning this with other decent re-imaged franchises such as Batman and Bond they would probably be better off avoiding shatner who is essentially one big cheesy cliche.
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »
Say what now? First Contact was bad? *shakes head* Generations was... ok. Insurrection and Nemesis were not so good, yeah.

Good point, I thought First Contact was pretty decent, once I stopped wincing that the faceless distributed network of consciousness actually had a face after all. (The Borg Queen was fun, even if it bent the concept of the Borg somewhat.)

I think this looks like a good brain-turn-off sort of film. I'd still prefer they were doing a new series or somesuch moving forward rather than more Kirk wankery, but oh well.

Thats' been my objection since the series Enterprise was announced and I'd still like it if they went forward. On the other hand, I think Trek has the same problem a lot of science fiction has right now, which is that no one can figure out what the future looks like anymore. There are good authors out there doing some very good work, but it seems to be a distance shy of emerging into pop culture enough for movies and TV series to be made using it.

To my utter horror, Jake 2.0 just popped into my head. Oh man, what I would have done with that concept.

To slide back towards my original point, even William Gibson is writing about the past now, I believe? And Charles Stross is wringing his hands trying to delay the writing of his next novel as long as possible because it's set in the near future, and the last twelve months have been torturous for anyone trying to predict what America and the rest of the Western world will look like in twenty years.

As for the new Trek movie, my optimism surprises me. *

* I think I went in a circle in this post.

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »
This is JJ Abrams don't forget, while I thought cloverfeild was a steaming pile, you only have to watch a couple of episodes of lost (of which tbh, I'm not a fan) to see that he should be all about character development. So I'm quietly optimistic even though I've not liked any of his stuff thus far.
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »
cloverfield nooooooooooooooooooo the nightmares didnt get past the in the flat scene which seemed to last for hours one of the few dvd's that i have bought and a day later but in the dustbin.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
Yeah, I watched about six episodes of Lost before moving, losing Sky for a while and then understanding very clearly that it wasn't a show of which you could skip episodes. So that was it. But yes, plenty of characterisation.

He also did Alias, didn't he? I watched ... I think it was the second or third season. Lost made Alias look like a draft copy, it seemed to me. You could see Abrams using some of the same storytelling techniques for prolonging the agony by giving away something without resolving anything. I know they weren't called Garibaldi artefacts, but that's how I remember them.

The other problem I really thought that show had was that the villain had to keep losing and he couldn't just be disposed of. He didn't seem much of a threat as a result.

The new Trek movie looks like it builds off the premise of Kirk and Spock being misfits, which seems like a good place to start. I gather the Trek community's reaction to this has been ... noticeable.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »
yeah it seems Kirk is a hellraiser (so why put him in charge of your flagship?), and Spock is having issues with his human emotions, lets just hope hes not needing to get laid :)

Still looks it could be a good action movie and it really cant be worse than Insurrection.

Sci-Fi went downhill in my mind when The Sci-Fi channel (upon appointing a new head) canned Farscape because she (the newly appointed head of programs) "didnt get it", i wouldnt get it either if i hadnt watched every episode to be honest, it just wasnt a "story an episode" type of programme, and it seems they dont show actual Sci-Fi at all these days.

Bring on someone with the balls to bring a Visionary version of the Dune books to celluloid.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:22 AM »
Wierd. I'm diametrically opposed to practically all of you. I loved Cloverfield (it's a monster film, what were you expecting?), I love Lost (best season finales of practically any show), and I hated Farscape with a passion.  :D

I'm sure those of us who've seen fringe (more Abrams) can approach some form of concensus (it's predominantly arse).

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"