Author Topic: What do/don't you like about SWTOR?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
What do/don't you like about SWTOR?
« on: December 17, 2011, 01:53:36 AM »
Alright so I've only seen this game for the first time since yesterday.

I did the first two or three missions on a Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Warrior, Bountyhunter and Agent.
I really planned to go woosh woosh with lightsabers, but found I didn't like the up close and personal combat at all.
And the cover mechanism is very clever, but just makes things too much of a fuss for my liking.
I've been told Consular gets more range at level 10, so I'll give that a go.
I love the Trooper and Bountyhunter and those are my two mains atm on each side.
I used a lot of 'I' there.

Swtor does offer a new MMO experience in my opinion. I love the storylines (big and smaller). The fact that your decisions in conversations define the path you take. The voicing really makes it interesting. And more importantly, all the different camera angles help spice things up when you enter a conversation.

Somehow there's a certain flow going on. Even though you're killing x of y along the way to your quest goal, it nevers feels like an x of y type of quest. Which is really nice. I find I really want to pursue and continue the storyline. They did an awesome job at this.

What I don't like is that the audio seems fucked sometimes. Probably a local thing. I keep lowering the volume levels for music and ambient, but they're always loud again when I start the game. Especially in the game menu before you're on a server, the music goes from hard to soft a lot. Bit annoying. Don't know what's going on.

Aggro seems very kind. You can bypass a lot of mobs without any trouble if you want. Easy looting (no companion yet).

I get the impression they are really trying to improve on the existing mmo model. It's just really enjoyable.

I really don't understand what's wrong with people that are level 50 already. What is the fucking point. Really. The whole game is about the story. Shaping your own destiny. And I think they've succeeded at providing that experience so far at lower levels.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Re: What do/don't you like about SWTOR?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
I've played the first ten levels of Sith Warrior and really liked it. I started as a cyborg, got to level 4 and then rerolled to a burly Sith proper. Some interesting differences in NPC interactions. (Pro-tip: Sith chicks dig a guy with pure blood.)

I've played the first three levels of Jedi Consular and, as I feared, I loved it. I've always been a bit of a sucker for telekinetic powers, and the Consular's are terrific. And while I was starting to get the hang of being evil, I am enjoying being good rather more than I would have thought. If Bioware can sort out Frostclaw's queue issue, you might be seeing a fair bit of me.

I have a number of other thoughts, but I shall continue to ruminate on these a little longer.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:45:15 PM by Taith »
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
it still looks an awful lot like wow.. that is still bad

LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Hurbster

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:17:10 PM »
Too many 4 man heroics on low population planets..

My complete lack of knowledge about Mumble.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »
Too many 4 man heroics on low population planets..

Having reached Balmorra on my Sith Sorcerer again, I have to agree. The number of Heroic quests on that planet is frickin ridiculous.

Not that I'm all that happy about the heroic quests in general. I'm usually a solo player, but I'm a bit OCD about doing all quests in a zone. These two qualities do not mix well.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »
Its great for me and the way I currently play.  I can pick it up and put it down without feeling too bad (although this leads to other issues) as the story moves at my pace;
The story thing is fabulous for main missions and class lines;
If you are not a completionist, then there is enough content for a couple of play throughs per faction. Which was my main worry about the way they presented content.
Trooper storyline is awesome, really into it. Glad I chose this as my first go through.
Its Star Wars. 

Dislikes:

Hardcoded factions;
2 Hardcoded factions;
Its easy to play good or bad, just hit 1 or 3 repeatedly;
The instances - while good - dont really tie into a planet or anything, they feel like an after thought so much so that I can manage to do with out them.  There are some epic storyline moments for each class, why didnt we get epic in the instances as a whole (except maelstrom, which is badass beyond badass);
Why when they had the opportunity to do it, did they not make heroic and area missions, PUBLIC quests like from WAR. Goddamn they hired half the EA-Mythic team when they absorbed mythic :S
AH;
UI;
Population in balance is worse than I have seen in anything excepting the early days of vanilla wow.  Yes thats something semi out of their control, but still they could have forseen this.  It causes issues with plenty of folks from 'pub switching to the the empire as its better for groups/pewpew and so on, which in turn makes it quieter for the folks who stick around :(
UI;
UI;
UI;
UI;
XP curve.  Toughen it up. Its taken me less time to get to 47 than (despite breaks in both games) it took me to get there with my lotro main (Hell it took me 3months to hit 60 in wow on my then main) its taken me 8 days to 47.
I dont need voice for every mission.  You got this right with the mission terminals, do it with some of the smaller more pointless "here have free xp" missions too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:33:38 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."