Author Topic: What I have been doing the past week  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
What I have been doing the past week
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »
I haven't logged on to WAR since last Monday (I think). Nothing spectacular going on, my interests have just been diverted a bit. Those who know me from before prolly know I have a short attention span at times; in fact, the shortest attention span in my family (my youngest kid is 3.5 years, and he can stay focused on things much longer than I ever could).

Anyway, I've been playing three other games the past week.

Dominions 3 and its "Conceptual Balance Mod". I like the game a lot (even though I suck at it), and the CB mod has opened up lots of strategies and tactics I've never before thought of :)

UFO:Extraterrestials with bman's mod. This game, with the mod, is so much like Laser Squad and X-COM from years back. Played it last week so much I burned myself out by Saturday...

American Civil War. Been looking at this strategy-game on and off. Tried the demo last year, and it felt confusing as hell. A real-life friend swears it is the best strategy game ever made, and that it really captures the same spirit of VG's "Civil War" and GDW's "A House Divided" (old board games we used to play back in 80's and 90's). So I installed the demo again last weekend. First impression was still it feels like shit, to be honest. But I waded a couple times through the short campaign included in the demo, got lots of good advice and answers from the forum (and wiki), so I got a hang of the game. And as I now my friend I just had to believe he can't be totally mad, so I bought the game digitally today (from GamersGate), installed on the work computer and patched it up and tested it on my lunch hour. It looks *great*. Compared to the demo, UI is cleared up a lot, lots of more tooltips. And what is more, easy to grasp scenarios. Boy can a demo give a wrong impression of a game?! Anyway, I guess I'll spend the next couple days exploring this game.

Altough I am already starting to feel the desire to hammer some skulls online in WAR... :)

Offline Nushka

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Re: What I have been doing the past week
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 03:20:21 PM »
Working.

Working

Working

Working

Working

WORKING!

Do I sound bitter???

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »
That game sounds pretty good Praedor, may look into it myself - been a long while since I played games of such scope :)

Nushka - I wont tell you about the joys of working for yourself then..

Oh wait :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Axenar

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »
I have that UFO with the Mod too, very old scholl but exactly what I was looking for after the dissapointment of stuff like  Aftermath and Aftershock. Got a bit repetitive after a while though.

Offline Peter

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:04:52 PM »
Dominions 3 and its "Conceptual Balance Mod". I like the game a lot (even though I suck at it), and the CB mod has opened up lots of strategies and tactics I've never before thought of :)
You need to take your turns in our Hinnom/C'tis and T'ien Ch'i games (and I need to take mine in the Hinnom game). :)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:51 AM »
You need to take your turns in our Hinnom/C'tis and T'ien Ch'i games (and I need to take mine in the Hinnom game). :)
Yes, intend to do it today. I have the damn early shift today, so I am home in a few hours.