Author Topic: GameFest  (Read 5290 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: GameFest
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
Trooper it is. About to queue again.

Any questions you want me to ask Chris Collins?

release date :D :D

eu beta?
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:29 PM »

Just generally see how things are going with him. Not seen him in a while. Ask him how the wife is, and how the new car is running.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
Trooper played. Beta and release is Soon TM. Still aiming for holiday 2011.

Time for one more go...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
Trooper it is. About to queue again.

Why isnt this going to have loss based pvp, in an open world sandbox setting ;)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
And how much input did that faggot lucas have?  ie did you throw rocks at his head if he came near.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Ok, missed the last queue, but had an interesting chat with a Bioware Network Engineer. Long story short, probably end of November for release, possibly 22nd.

More in depth post to follow once I get home.

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
ask chris collins who he is

laters elv

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
Ok, after finally getting my grubby, sweaty little hands on this, I can genuinely say that I was impressed. I managed to play 20 minutes with a Jedi Knight, and 20 minutes with a Trooper. Here is how I found the game.

Questing:

Questing was good. The Jedi quests were 'go there and kill x amount of these dudes', but it didn't *feel* like your average 'collect 5 boar spleens' quest. The Voice Over aspect really help integrate the quests into your story (and it really does feel like there is one), and by the time you've finished having the conversation with the NPC, you feel like you have a real purpose in killing x amount of bad guys. It then progress uses holocomm (i.e. remote hand in), which really helps with the flow of the story. Combined with a number of world quests you can pick up really build an impressive series of events.

The Trooper quests were more military in feel, with you having to disarm/sabotage a number of devices. I didn't get into the Trooper quests as much, but a lot of that was due to me feeling a bit rushed due to only having 20 minutes. One thing I will say is do not hit space to just skip through dialogue. It can really harm the experience and you will miss out on vital info for the quests.

All in all, a massive improvement over that standard MMO fare. It does truly feel like an innovation.

Combat:

Combat was very smooth, and very responsive. For the Jedi, the training sabre animations were very cool. When I clashed with foes with a blade, we parried and interlocked blades at points, which really made the combat come alive. The Friday update today talks about animations and the work that has gone in to them. It's all true from what I've seen today. You tend to take mobs on in packs, rather than solo. This adds to the 'heroic' feel of events. At one point, my lvl 2 Jedi had 5 Flesh beasts wailing on her, and even though it got hairy, it was manageable, and felt very cool.

I trained up Force Leap at level 2. Wow, what an awesome ability that is. Animation and execution is superb. Don't think I'll be getting bored of that one.

Trooper was very cool also. One thing I've noticed is that all abilities have a global cooldown, but that's it. If you have the resource, you can spam the ability. So, as a Trooper, you start with a basic blaster barrage style ability and a grenade launcher ability. Really cool way to finish mobs off. Range is quite large too, so you can feel like your sniping the bad guys from quite a way away. I also managed to pick up Stock Strike, which was very cool, but I only managed to test it on a mob a couple of levels higher than me, so I couldn't really gauge its effectiveness.

Also, there's no auto attack, which adds an extra layer of dynamism/involvement in combat.

So, combat is standard MMO fair in all honestly, but executed supremely well.

I got chatting to a guy from Bioware who was one of their Network Engineers/Techs. He told me that the build we were playing, which seemed very polished, was the old build that just got taken down. He told me the new build has a ton of stuff in it which is even better. He seemed genuinely excited. I quizzed him about release, and he was cryptic, but gave me a knowing wiggle of the eyebrows when I mentioned a Nov 22nd release, in time for Black Friday/Thanksgiving. Read into that what you will. Chris Collins (the EU community manager) was giving nothing away.

I really enjoyed it, and it really refreshed my enthusiasm for the game. Oh, and I even started recruiting for HoJ in the queue, so if you see random people join, that might be my doing! :P ;D

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll see if I can answer it based on the combined 40 mins of play time I had. My bro-in-law played Smuggler, but I've yet to be able to pick his brains properly on that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:19:52 PM by Kurtt »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 11:23:35 PM »
Jizzed
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
Jizzed

* passes Caradir the kitchen roll, anti-bacterial spray and mumbles the comment "take it to the bathroom next time, perv!" *
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!